It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 pm

Kickstarter, new bramper 

Post Kickstarter, new bramper
I wish success for this Kickstarter product (link posted below), but I have doubts regarding the products ability to bramp a Nikon.

It seems to me, and I haven't emailed or spoken with the developers, that at very best, these gentlemen have discovered a way to bramp a Nikon (and assumedly a very large cache of other cameras) with the typical or standard ISO settings.

I struggle with the idea that they are using an iphone to work alongside or override the cameras-operating-system and produce a truly smooth transition (having shutter adjust in very tiny increments) like that offered by Promote or LBramper.

Does anyone on this board have any knowledge or an opinion concerning?

ElishaVisuals route for bramping a Nikon seems to be the only logical way to achieve what is promised at this point.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/viv ... e?ref=live

Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:25 am

Post Re: Kickstarter, new bramper
It looks impressive from the video. I don't see why it couldn't work, the iPhone is just the GUI used to setup the device but its is significantly smaller than the Bramper or the Promote control. I wonder how its powered?

It will be interesting to see how well this works, they certainly raised a lot of money on Kicklstarter.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:40 am

A new one is born every minute.

Those who don't remember the past, um, have a carefree life? Wait, thats not right.

Hopefully we'll hear from the projects creators with some explanation why I'm completely wrong, but my personal opinions are;

Subject to change, after all, Its Christmas.

Previous bulb ramping intervalometers had "problems" because most cameras, including Nikons default to the nearest factory set shutterspeed instead of the exact length of time the bulb switch is closed. It worked well for Canon but not for the other cameras with a bulb socket. Get one if you have a Canon, but beware if you have a Nikon unless there is a demo of it ramping a Nikon. I can't say whether this thing works for non-Canon cameras or not, but am skeptical enough to mention the previous bulb ramping experiences. Hopefully a demo clip will be posted to prove me wrong.

FYI, Timescapes member Cronix put over a year into an ISO ramper that plugs into the camera's USB port, and that works with all the cameras he's got on the list because he actually tested them before making the claim. Old fashion, I know, but hard to beat actually running the device under conditions customers will use it. Its

http://www.elysiavisuals.com/content/el ... controller

I am not employed by or have any business dealings with Elysiavisuals. I have not used either ramper listed here.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:42 am

Kyle and i just finished our Kickstarter campaign. I have learned a LOT from it. First off, how much work is involved. I'm not saying it was not worth it, it really was. We did not make a lot of money on it, but we had other goals that were larger than cash. First and foremost was an education in how this stuff works, what to expect, etc.

I think there are a LOT of things to be concerned with when backing a kickstarter. First off, can they do what they claim? Does thier budget seem reasonable? How many units are they going to have to produce? This new kickstarter now has to send out nearly 4,500 rewards. I mean... YIKES!!!!!!!! I dont mean to say they can not pull it off that is NOT my intent, but just use them as a good example. However the build is only part of it. We sent out just over 60 lens apparatuses. It took close to 16 man hours just to pack everything up, label the boxes, log what was sent, email the backer, and ship it. I spent at least 50-60 hours of time after work and weekends building systems and testing systems.

So the packing on something like this would be much less. Lets say you get a good rhythm, and it takes 5 minutes to bag it, tag, it, note your rewards database, etc. that is 12 per hour. That is 375 hours of packing. If you work 8 hours a day, that would only take 46 days straight.

Im sure they plan to use injection molding, and to have the circuits built overseas, but they probably still have to do final assembly, as well as test each unit. Lets assume they are super fast, and that is also 5 minutes to assemble and test each unit. that is another 46 straight days of work

So if it was a one man operation that is about 3 months solid of 8 hours a day work with no days off.

if you have 4 people working, that is only 23 days of non stop work, so if they have a small group that can take 3 weeks off from work, and still taking weekends off, it would still take about a month to assemble and send them all out, but the fact is most of us have day jobs and cannot afford to take a month off to build.

that is what stands out to me the most of our kickstart campaign, i was constantly building, soldering, testing, etc. it seemed like it never ended. and we only had to produce 60.

I don't know anything about these guys's operation, they might have it all planned out and be sipping pina coladas in hawaii while all the work is being done for them. They might ship out in record time, and blow away everyones expectations. It wouldnt be fair for me to sit here and rain on thier parade, i wish them the best of luck. But if i had to mail out 4,371 of these little gizmos, i would be a little bit nervous.

ANother big problem with some kickstarts, is the people want to do too much. Here is System A. We funded for X amount. Now backers ask for an extra feature, sure, lets do it. Then we can improve this way, then improve that way, then upgrade this, then oh shit, were outta money and cant fulfill all the pledges!?!?!?!?! What do we do now?????????

all R&D should be FINISHED before you even begin a kick starter campaign. We made one single modification to ours on the lower bracket, and i was nervous about that but i realized we needed to do it, and that was risky as it was. Luckily we got the mod in before the brackets were machined out.

i wish them luck! Crowdfunding is an incredible thing!

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Excellent insight and your post is fair. However, I noticed Astro Kickstarter raised a half million, which is an amount difficult to comprehend. Yet, to those that raise the smallest of concerns about recieving even the promotional items promised or updates on progress of Astro get reprimanded for not being patient. Maybe it's me, but after two years, I kinda' want my t-shirt :P

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:37 am

This looks as cool as the Astro rotary unit complete with IOS and Android app shipping in 2012! ;) :P

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Milapse Jay wrote:
This looks as cool as the Astro rotary unit complete with IOS and Android app shipping in 2012! ;) :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:02 am

Has anyone heard any news on that? Anyone in here backed the project? I'm curious how they are doing...

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 am

I backed the other one because I don't have a phone that it needed as a controller. Those haven't been delivered yet either. They have been good about sending emails explaining how this or that part got made wrong in China and had to be retooled or other adjustments made to the manufacturing process. This has been made more difficult by separating the designers from the makers by as much distance as is possible on a round planet. They have made many visits to China during the process. Not sure how much of the profits this ate up, but they have been honest enough to keep at it.

Insert Piccard picture here

Note: There are local machine shops, extruders, injection molders and circuit board manufacturers. You can speak to them in your language and visit easily anytime you need to. They also have people who have spent a lifetime learning their craft and how to spot problems early on and fix them.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:27 am