It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:04 am

IN and OUT frame rate in After Effects 

Post IN and OUT frame rate in After Effects
Someone who knows very well frame rate in film, can you correct me or even inform.
If I want to create a timelapse video with various sequences in my future film, when I'm importing each sequence to After Effects is it OK to import it in different frame rates?
For instance, one clip with 400 images I'm importing with 40fps, next clip with 800 images I'm importing with 80fps to create 10sec of video sequence in my clip. However, in render queue I'm adjusting my whole video in 24 or 30 fps. Does it work well? Because somebody say that you have to import your sequences in the same frame rate as you gonna output it for your final video. I mean, it does work when you import a video, which was shot, for example, in 24fps, and so you render it with 24fps in your output stage. But if we are dealing with images, which is every single image is a frame in my future film, so we can adjust the frame rate depending on what's the length of each sequence you want to see in your film: 7sec, 8 sec, 10 sec or whatever.
Any relevant comments will appreciate!

Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Post Re: IN and OUT frame rate in After Effects
You are best to keep everything at the same frame rate all the way through, otherwise you will run into all sorts of weird problems with jumping or surging type effects in the video.
So if your film is 24fps, import the photos at 24fps, and set your composition to be 24fps, and export at 24fps.
If you want to change speeds do it inside after effects with the likes of the timewarp tool. When increasing speed it is best to do it in multiples of whole frames if possible, sometime half-frames work too, so 150%, 200%, 300%, 400% etc.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks for the advice!
But if I'm changing my speed inside the AE, like timewarp tool, what it does is just duplicating every frame(image) in accroding to slow down the speed, or just cuts up the frame(image) to speed it up. I mean it is not natural fast or slow motion of your sequence, while you can adjust the length of it right before importing it.
Or you want to say that the main problem I'll face with would be those jump effects afterwards?
If I want to create 8sec of my 800 images, I need to import them in 24fps into comp AE, and then adjust them in timewarp effect for 8sec?

Tue May 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Yes, use the timewarp tool. Do not change your frame rates or you will get horrible end results the majority of the time.
There are lots of options with the timewarp tool to get good looking results and the desired effect you want.

800 frames at 24fps is roughly 33 seconds. To get just over 8 seconds increase your speed by 400%.
Try the different options out, whole frames, frame blending, interpolation etc to see what works best for what you want.

Wed May 14, 2014 10:28 pm

Sorry Antz but I totally disagree. It's perfectly fine to import time lapse sequences into After Effects at different frame rates to your final render frame rate. I do this often with my time lapse footage and it's done all the time in live action film making. You shoot at higher frame rates in camera and when played back at 24fps you get slow motion. Shoot at a lower speed and you get fast motion. Generally it's best to use a multiple of your final frame rate ie: shoot/import at 48fps, 72fps etc if going to 24fps. It is possible for jerkiness or other unpleasant things to happen but it's not a given. It will depend on what's in the shot, if it has any camera moves in it and how fast or slow they are. As you are doing this in post it's easy to tweak your input frame rate to correct anything you may come across. Timewarp, Twixtor etc are for creating slow motion effects when it wasn't done in camera. Good luck with it Vova and have fun experimenting.

Thu May 15, 2014 12:49 am

eggmedia wrote:
Sorry Antz but I totally disagree. It's perfectly fine to import time lapse sequences into After Effects at different frame rates to your final render frame rate. I do this often with my time lapse footage and it's done all the time in live action film making. You shoot at higher frame rates in camera and when played back at 24fps you get slow motion. Shoot at a lower speed and you get fast motion. Generally it's best to use a multiple of your final frame rate ie: shoot/import at 48fps, 72fps etc if going to 24fps. It is possible for jerkiness or other unpleasant things to happen but it's not a given. It will depend on what's in the shot, if it has any camera moves in it and how fast or slow they are. As you are doing this in post it's easy to tweak your input frame rate to correct anything you may come across. Timewarp, Twixtor etc are for creating slow motion effects when it wasn't done in camera. Good luck with it Vova and have fun experimenting.

Re interpreting the frame is a very clumsy and limiting way of speeding up your time lapse footage. As with anything in after effects there,are many ways to do something, you could time stretch the footage or better yet you could use time-remapping . Re interpreting the footage locks yo into one speed and can create,problems if you accidentally create a comp at the wrong frame.

Timt

Thu May 15, 2014 5:32 am

By using timewarp rather than altering your frame rates, you are removing all the variables of bad outcomes due to the staggering effects etc. You are much more likely to get a good outcome. Also by using timewarp, you can choose your blending method. Rather than doubling your frame rate at import to speed up footage and being locked into that look, you can choose the style you want by just selecting 200% in timewarp, then you can choose whole frames, frame blending, interpolated frames, and even add shutter motion blur. Far more control over the end product.
Where you run into big problems is when you try to change the frame rates at uneven frame numbers, for example 25 to 24 fps. In anything with constant motion like clouds it will normally create a horrible repetitive surging motion unless you use the likes of the interpolation setting. Often when previewing on a small screen it is not immediately obvious, but when you throw it up on a big screen it really shows.
It depends a lot on the shot on what you can and can't get away with, but using timewarp will remove the variables and solve a lot of headaches in the long run.

Fri May 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Sorry for the late reply,guys. And thank you all for the replies and very detailed and relevant information!
I decided not to risk, and do everything properly. So, I'm importing, setting the project, and outputting it at the same 24fps.
However, I'm not really familiar with AE, as this is my 1st time working with it.
So, I think this question is more to Antz: when I'm applying the timewarp effect I have only 3 methods: pixel motion, whole frames and frame mix. What the frame blending, interpolated frames methods are?
I also have very small RAM, only 8Gb, so it is difficult for me to work in AE, to see what's the difference between all of those methods, unfortunately :(
Tried all of 3 I have, but it is really difficult to see the different with real-time RAM rendering :(
Thanks again to all of you, guys!

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 am