It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:08 am

After Effects and hyperlapse? 

Post After Effects and hyperlapse?
Ive just shot my first hyperlapses recently. For stabilisation, it seems that everybody uses the warp stabiliser in After Effects. Out of curiosity, as well as reducing the inherent shakiness in a hyperlapse, does the warp stabiliser also correct rotational errors that would occur from not moving the camera along a perfectly straight path? I don't own a copy of AE so I'll give the deshaker plugin in Virtual Dub a go. I don't expect it will do as good a job but I'll report back on how VD handles the footage.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:42 am

Post Re: After Effects and hyperlapse?
Hi,

you could test the 30 days trial version of AE to see the difference between warp stabilizer and deshaker. The key to make a good hyperlapse is the shooting part. The more precise you shoot it, the less problem you'll get on post prod.

For you question about perfect straight path, the warp stabilizer kind of smooth it (if you don't deviate too much from the perfect line of course). The only small problem I've seen is if you have the ground on your frame, walking straight ahead, and the line in not perfect, you'll see some sort of mini translation on the ground (even more visible if you have straight pattern on the ground). But no prob on the subject you're shooting (if you point your camera precisely to the exact same point each time).

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:57 am

Yea Ive considered downloading the trial version of AE. I'll have to find out how much the retail version costs (after I do the comparison with Virtual Dub's deshaker.) I might be able to get a student discount. During the shooting, I tried to be as accurate as possible but unfortunately, there were a few instances where the camera wasn't aligned exactly on the same spot.

My gosh, hyperlapses are hard work! I was crouching during the first one and doing it in conjunction with an interval timer. My legs were killing me by the end of it.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:45 am

Ive just tried Virtual Dub's Deshaker but I can't complete the process. When I try and save the file, I get this message: "Cannot start video compression: An unknown error occurred (maybe corrupt data). (Error code -100.)"

I closed the whole thing down and started again but in the end, I get the same message again. I guess AE's the only viable option then.

I played the unaltered video anyway and the shakiness is not as bad as I expected. Shakiness is pretty minimal....however vertical lines don't always remain vertical so I guess that could be an issue for AE.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:32 pm

I never really tested deshaker in depth so I can't help you with that error. You'll have to install AE to see the results (for the vertical lines, if it's just small rotation, the warp stabilizer can handle it pretty well, it's really the aiming point that is the most important). For the interval, I do my timelapses/hyperlapses with Magic Lantern and it's interval function which is very usefull to quickly see the remaining time before the next picture while you're aiming at your spot. Long hyperlapses can be really boring at the end, but you always need to be concentrated.

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks again. It sounds like warp stabilizer is pretty versatile. However, if worse comes to worse and the warp stabilizer cannot correct the occasional non vertical line, is there an option in AE to rotate or tilt individual frames manually to make those lines vertical? Or would I have to do that in Photoshop or Lightroom instead before importing them into AE? Another query - does it matter if the vertical line / lines are in a different position in the frame to the spot that you lined up in your viewfinder? That's the case with mine. With my stills, there's an edge of a building which is largely unobstructed through just about all the frames and it remains vertical a lot of the time (but not all of the time.) Though it is some distance away from the spot where I was aiming at (it's to the right of that spot.) I think next time, I'll choose an easier, more predictable scene to shoot in hyperlapse!

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:47 pm