It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:48 am

Anyone check out REEL STEADY... for stabilization yet? 

Post Anyone check out REEL STEADY... for stabilization yet?
New AE plugin.

Looks sick.

http://www.reelsteady.com/

"According to the FAQ, ReelSteady works best when there aren’t many moving objects in the scene. “The camera can be moving all over the place, but you don’t want the things in your scene to be moving,” the company says. “If your shot contains little or none of these features ReelSteady may not produce favorable results.”"

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:19 am

Post Re: Anyone check out REEL STEADY... for stabilization yet?
Thanks for the info, it seems interesting. Maybe it can do a good job on hyperlapses. Will test the trial version on sequences where the warp stabilizer didn't work well.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:34 am

Ok, I've tested it on 2 differents hyperlapses sequences. Results : Not good at all for that purpose over the warp stabilizer

1st sequence, a really easy one to stabilize (just a translation with a fixed point on a monument):
- Warp stabilizer : perfect on the 1st try even with the default parameters
- ReelSteady : Doesn't work with the original file size (5184x3456), After Effects CC2014 crashes (even I have 16go of RAM). I had to crop the comp to 4K to stabilize it. The result is bad with some weird bumps. It also crop it a way more than the warp stabilizer and zoom it after that to make the video 100% (option that you can disable in the warp stabilizer but not here)

I wanted to make a video to show the results, but it's too buggy to work with it now (I can't even render correctly a stabilized comp inside an other comp, ...)

2nd sequence, an hard to stablilize one (a 360° circular hyperlapse) that I had to stabilize manualy
- Warp stabilizer : bad and not really usable
- ReelSteady : even worse than the warp stabilizer

ReelSteady is also 8bit only. Future versions will support up to 32bit color space.

Conclusion : may be usefull for stabilizing gopro videos, maybe drone videos, but for high quality hyperlapses, it doesn't seem to be usefull for now.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for letting us know!

I have only done 2x 360s. Warp stabilzer was really bad so I never tried them again, haha.

The search continues...

Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:28 pm

yayasite wrote:
Ok, I've tested it on 2 differents hyperlapses sequences. Results : Not good at all for that purpose over the warp stabilizer

1st sequence, a really easy one to stabilize (just a translation with a fixed point on a monument):
- Warp stabilizer : perfect on the 1st try even with the default parameters
- ReelSteady : Doesn't work with the original file size (5184x3456), After Effects CC2014 crashes (even I have 16go of RAM). I had to crop the comp to 4K to stabilize it. The result is bad with some weird bumps. It also crop it a way more than the warp stabilizer and zoom it after that to make the video 100% (option that you can disable in the warp stabilizer but not here)

I wanted to make a video to show the results, but it's too buggy to work with it now (I can't even render correctly a stabilized comp inside an other comp, ...)

2nd sequence, an hard to stablilize one (a 360° circular hyperlapse) that I had to stabilize manualy
- Warp stabilizer : bad and not really usable
- ReelSteady : even worse than the warp stabilizer

ReelSteady is also 8bit only. Future versions will support up to 32bit color space.

Conclusion : may be usefull for stabilizing gopro videos, maybe drone videos, but for high quality hyperlapses, it doesn't seem to be usefull for now.

It is still in beta so hopefully most of your issues will be fixed - a couple of questions (since I watched all the tutorials and now know everything, haha)

1) did you try the mask or color correct feature to help the track

2) do you typically stabilize the original files - I would assume you would want to do this so you could stabilize without zooming - you might offer some feed back to the plug-in developer in the form of a feature request.

3) do you have any examples that you care to share with the group to see the differences.

Thanks for sharing
Timt

Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:52 pm

pixelbot wrote:
1) did you try the mask or color correct feature to help the track

If I buy a 400$ plugin that claims to be better than the warp stabilizer, it's in order to help me have better results, it's not me who have to help the plugin to do the job to get the same result as the warp stabilizer. The mask trick is also the same trick to help the warp stabilizer. On a hyperlapse, you have people moving, clouds moving, ... there is not a very big zone to mask where there is no other movement than the one you want to keep.

pixelbot wrote:
2) do you typically stabilize the original files - I would assume you would want to do this so you could stabilize without zooming - you might offer some feed back to the plug-in developer in the form of a feature request.

When you stabilize an hyperlapse, you want the minimum crop possible to work on the biggest size, without any resizing. The plugin is initially made to stabilize go pro video, not stills pictures

pixelbot wrote:
3) do you have any examples that you care to share with the group to see the differences.

I tried, but it's a pain in the ass to get something out, I can't even render a stabilized video from After Effects, so after many tries, I stopped trying, sorry.

I don't say it's a bad plugin, but I think it's not made to stabilize hyperlapses (and when I talk about hyperlapses, I talk about real ones, not a accelerated video of someone walking around).

Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:44 am

hey yaya have you seen this stabilizer? http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/13/93113 ... stabilizer

I just saw a link and haven't read to much about it but it says it is for hyper lapses

tt

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:40 pm

pixelbot wrote:
hey yaya have you seen this stabilizer? http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/13/93113 ... stabilizer

That one seems interesting but from what I've read in your link, it's just for video also. But as it records the movements of the camera for the stabilization, and not rely only on analysing the content, that may work well. For hyperlapses, it's the same thing as the one before, there is "hyperlapse" and "hyperlapse" (yes same word for 2 things). Here, it's for "video hyperlapse" (accelerated video of someone walking, on bike, ...) stabilization, not for "picture hyperlapse" (picture taken each .. seconds around a monument with clouds moving, ...)

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:15 am

Once you explained it I get it there is a difference between video and still stabilization - there would be no way to effectively communicate that motion data onto a still - I didn't think of the category of hyper video lapse. still both of these look like great advancement for the field of video stabilization.

tt

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:57 am

Here is a recently posted hyperlapse made with Reelsteady. https://vimeo.com/158855590 . And here is one using stills. https://vimeo.com/136241090

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm