It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 pm

vedeo editing programes 

Post vedeo editing programes
hi all
wondering if anyone can recommend a windows based editing package or workflow perhaps, i think i need something that allows me to have two videos and two sound tracks displayed on a timeline one above the other so i can match their start points. i am running two gopros side by side, by the time i start one gopro then the next a second or two has elapsed. . up til now i have been using the excellent and free virtualdub. however when i open two instances of virtualdub and edit or cut the videos to what i think is the same frame with one video in each window i still have trouble matching the start points. i can stack and render both vids no problems but i can't seem to have them synched or run together one always seems millieseconds or more out of time . one other thing i have yet to try is a cheap bike bell in the hopes of using it like a clapperboard still waiting for the bell to arrive in the mail but i wonder how you guys would approach it or use different software perhaps thanks in advance for any input to my dilemma

i should mention im not worried about trying to display both instances at once but rather use virtualdub and avisyth to render both movies down to a singular video with each displayed side by side for comparison

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Post Re: vedeo editing programes
I would try one of the lite versions of a professional program, such as Premiere Elements or Sony Vegas Movie Studio. Though Vegas might be better - if you decide to upgrade later you can also purchase Vegas Pro outright, whereas Premiere Pro is only available on a cloud rental scheme... But download the Vegas Trial first and see what you think. I have used Vegas Pro and found it quite good. It will also be better than using one of the almost free applications - they will just send you a bit crazy I suspect...

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 pm

My first taste of video editing involved 2 inch tape back in the 80's. You needed three huge machines costing around $100,000 each and an air-conditioned room to keep them in if you wanted to do a simple fade from one picture to another at broadcast (only SD back then) quality. Fortunately things have changed!

I've been using Adobe Premiere Elements (PRE) for many years and have been entirely happy with it. Started with v3 around 2006 and have upgraded about 5 times since then, currently on v2018. If your PC is reasonably recent you will have no problem running it, though it will benefit greatly from running on a 64-bit version of Windows with plenty of memory for HD video. 8GB should be enough, or 16 for a big project. It runs fine on my HP i7 based laptop which is 6-7 years old but has been upgraded to W10 64-bit, has an SSD and 8GB of memory.

PRE has more bells and whistles than professional editors could have dreamed of only a few years ago and will do everything you could want. It has various modes of operation, you need 'expert' to have several tracks of video on the timeline at once. There's a good website at movipix.com which has video guides and a helpful forum if you get stuck. The 'guided' mode offers help as you go but I don't know how good it is in practice, or how complex it gets.

You can buy it as a package with Photoshop Elements which is what I have always done.

Kit

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 pm

did some research, dl some programs, safe to say there nothing free thats any better than virtaldubmod teamed with avysyth. watched some utube vids that seems to do all the stuff i want to try , so decided i'd try power director 16 payed $59 cant really complain about the price. i'll install it tomorrow or actually later today yawn i'll let you know how i get on.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:36 am