It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 am

Removing dark spot in video footage? 

Post Removing dark spot in video footage?
Regrettably, much of my GoPro footage is tainted by a mysterious small dark spot that appears on the side of the screen. You can clearly see it on the lower left in this clip here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch17tAuSxEE

I'm puzzled by what's causing this. Both the lens and underwater housing lens port look relatively clean. Though only fairly recently, I noticed what looks like a small dried water mark on the housing lens port. Though I wouldn't think that a dried water mark would cause such a dark spot. Plus the position of the water mark on the lens port is a little different to that of the dark spot in the footage. Perhaps it could be a defect in the lens? Tomorrow, I'm going to record some footage without the housing and see if I still get the spot showing up.

Regardless, there is a film that I'm submitting to some film festivals and it features a quite a lot of GoPro footage. And unfortunately, a fair bit of that footage contains that annoying dark spot.

Would there be any software that would be intelligent enough to either remove this spot or make it less noticeable? Of course the tricky thing is sometimes the scenery / background changes behind the spot so the software would have to compensate for that. I have read the dust removal thread in this sub-forum but that seems to be geared more towards still photo files which is a bit more straight forward (with this sort of work) than video footage.

Thing is the film has already been edited. If there is software that can fix the problem, it's going to be a hassle having to render the footage again (which will lead to a loss in quality) and trying to find the exact same in points and out points to reinsert the footage seamlessly back into the film – not easy considering there are multiple cross-fades throughout.

On the other hand, would film festival judges be really harsh on a distraction like this dark spot?

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Post Re: Removing dark spot in video footage?
It looks like Adobe Premier has what I'm looking for. Ive never used Premier before but Ive heard the learning curve is a bit steep. Out of curiosity, if you download a trial of Premier, does it impose watermarks on edited projects you create with it? Any restrictions at all with the trial version?

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:35 pm

could be a dirty sensor

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:53 pm

TIMETRAVELER wrote:
could be a dirty sensor

I was thinking of that possibility too. Yesterday, I recorded a little footage as a test (with the underwater housing on.) The dark spot was still there in the footage, not surprisingly. I then recorded some footage without the underwater housing and dammit, the dark spot is still there. So it's not anything on the housing that's causing this. I had a close look at the lens and it looks spotlessly clean. Though on further inspection, I can just make out a tiny, tiny little white spec - smaller than a grain of sand. It's only barely visible. I would think this would be too tiny to register as the spot that I'm seeing in my footage. I squirted it with air from my blower brush but it won't come off. I'll get hold off a brush and try and carefully remove it. But I doubt that is what's causing the issue - this spec is so tiny, it's almost microscopic.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:20 pm

doesn't take much...i got dust in one of my point and shoot cameras..pretty much ruined the camara

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:13 pm