It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:44 am

Virtualdub and file compatibility 

Post Virtualdub and file compatibility
Ive just tried importing some GoPro video files into Virtualdub and to my surprise, the software does not recognise the file type. I also tried opening some MPEG 2 (m2t) files and some MOV files and Virtual Dub couldn't open those either. Ive discovered what appears to be a really useful plugin for Virtualdub which removes distractions from footage (like this annoying dark spot that keeps appearing in my GoPro footage.) As most people know, GoPros record MP4 files. What kind of file type would I have to convert the MP4 videos to in order for VD to open the files? And would there be any software that someone could recommend that could do the conversion without quality loss?

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Post Re: Virtualdub and file compatibility
yes it would be nice if the program could be updated to handle raw or even tiffs as well as some video files heck i'd even donate :-)

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:32 am

Use a VD plugin. Here's a link which uses FFMPEG to allow importing of mp4 files plus many more. http://thesunstroke.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/how-to-make-virtualdub-openedit-mkv-mp4.html. I quickly tried it out and it works !

RAW - a little more work I think. I always found PNG to be a more flexible still image format though it is a little slow to create possibly because of it's compression algorithm. PNG are small files as well. I use PNG where I've done work on a sequence that I've converted from RAW. Try not to do multiple saves of JPEG files.

Steve

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:10 pm

i'll have a look at that next time i'm online

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:04 am