It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 pm

SW suggestion for weekly foto of building house timelapse 

Post SW suggestion for weekly foto of building house timelapse
Hi all,

Currently I'm having a house built. I figured it would be nice to have some kind of time-lapse of this. The building will take almost a year and I do not have access to the premises. Therefore it is not possible for me to install a fixed camera (that will not be stolen by someone...). So I guessed my best option is to take a still image from roughly the same spot, pointing in the same direction with the same camera. This will produce somewhere between 40 and 50 images in total. Perhaps 1 frame per second would be a nice frame speed for this.

What would be a good way to post process these images so they will line up and produce a somewhat stable video?
Any suggestions for that?

Cheers!
Tom

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 am

Post Re: SW suggestion for weekly foto of building house timelaps
if you can hammer 3 pins into the ground that would give you a reference points for a tripod to set up to then extend the tripod the same amount or as close to that as you can each time you set up. presuming that its a high resolution image you should be able to then find some software that allows you to pan and zoom into the image which would add an extra element to an otherwise static image. virtualdub allows you to set a frame rate hope that helps.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:36 am

Thanks for your suggestion! I'v been photographing from the same spot using cros-bearing and some local and global features in the landscape. The photo's seem sufficiently similar for the purpose. It is mainly the software that is not in place right now. I'm trying to roll my own using OpenCV right now, but it is time consuming. I was hoping to find something up and running. I was looking at Huggin panorama photo stitcher to align the foto's which seemed very promising but I haven't pulled it off completely yet. All software suggestions are more than welcome!

Cheers

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:04 am

virtual dub is free that will allow you to display your images at various frame rates per second. panolapse is free to use below a certain resolution i think. it does zoom and pan as well and maybe displays over time. maybe check it out
not sure what is available and is free to align and crop images perhaps some of the others will chime in with some suggestions. maybe some sort of animation program something that lets you superimpose one photo over another i forget what the technique is called otherwise i'm out of ideas

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:18 am

Actually not such a such a bad idea to do it by hand while super imposing. It could be done using Gimp or Photoshop with the perspective and shear tools or cage transform. I'l give it a go!

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:02 am