It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 pm

Deflickering with Photoshop 

Post Deflickering with Photoshop
Like everyone else here I'm always looking for the perfect flicker-free time-lapse. The earlier in the workflow the problem is dealt with, the better the results will be. Even though manual aperture lenses have helped immensely, I still get bit every once in a while. I've used Donald Graft's deflicker filter and MSU in VirtualDub, and GBDeflicker. I've had good luck with the first two but I'm not convinced GBDeflicker is worth the price. But the problem with all three is flicker is dealt with at the end of the workflow. At this point larger compromises have to be made, and in some instances the compromises are just unworkable. The last straw for me was a late night time-lapse that wasn't that bad, but any attempt to smooth it out led to star streaks. So, to move the problem earlier in the workflow and eliminate some of these headaches, I've been working on deflickering the pre-rendered still images in Photoshop.

I've found processing the stills before rendering a video gives much better results. I still need to deflicker occasionally in post, but not as drastically as before. I've re-processed some older image sequences that were problematic and I'm amazed at how much more detail and life pops out. Smoothing the luminance fluctuation from still to still is much kinder to pixels than the video plugins are. And giving Photoshop 5616 x 3744 pixels worth of meat to chew on rather than 1920 x 1080 opens up more creative possibilities later in the workflow.

It's taken me a few months to come up with a shareable technique, but I think I have an iteration worth tossing out there. The basic premise is to measure the histogram level on a sample area of the images and average them to smooth out the luminance fluctuation. To do this I've developed three scripts to run in Photoshop.

The first script is just a helper to determine the sample area size and X, Y coordinates. When the script is run on an open image in Photoshop, a dialog opens to enter the X and Y coordinates and sample area size. Clicking okay opens an alert with the histogram level and creates the infamous marching ants so you can see the sample area. Once this is set jot down the values to enter them into the next script.

The second and third script automatically process a folder of images once the parameters are entered.

The second script creates a CSV file with the histogram level, white balance temperature and tint, date created and date modified for each image. This file can be opened in Excel to analyze the data. It can be interesting looking at how different lenses perform, but the key data is the histogram level.

The third script has inputs for a beginning histogram level and ending histogram level. I designed it this way to allow for changing lighting conditions, such as day to night or moving clouds obscuring the sun.

So, the nuts and bolts of using these. These are written in JavaScript on Windows 7 with CS5. They should be backwards compatible and work on Mac, but there are no guarantees. Let me know if a bug pops up.

Download the attached zip file and extract the scripts to “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Presets\Scripts”. Adjust the path as needed for your OS and PS version. If Photoshop is open, close it and reopen it. Under Files>Scripts you will find 1FindSampleArea.jsx, 2CreateCSVFile.jsx and 3ProcessImages.jsx. You’re right if you guessed I named them in the order of use.

The images you want to process need to be in one folder and the file names must be sequentially numbered. The CSV script will create the file in the same folder as the images. The final script will create a subfolder named “Done” in the image folder and contain processed JPEGs. These scripts will process JPEG, TIF and PSD files. I set them this way so PS doesn’t accidentally choke on the wrong format or try to process a system file.

The easiest way to try these out is with a folder of JPEGS. I use these scripts with PS actions and batches that simplify processing RAW files. I wrote instructions on each script but I may not be very clear. Let me know if you have a question.

Here's a quick down and dirty demo I threw together.

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: Photoshop deflicker scripts
Deflicker_scripts.zip [11.83 KiB]
Downloaded 1049 times

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:04 am

Post Re: Deflickering with Photoshop
Awesome. Thanks for sharing your method :)

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:33 am

Thanks for sharing - I'll give it try.

Scott

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:11 am

Do you have other tests to share, like with moving clouds and light changes ?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:23 am

JohnMyrstad wrote:
Do you have other tests to share, like with moving clouds and light changes ?

I'm guessing you're asking about conditions with the sun popping in and out of clouds. This is proving to be the toughest to process and the reason I developed an adjustable sample area rather than measure the histogram of the entire image. It's especially helpful if you can find a sample area that stays shaded.

For varying light changes I use a second folder to hold my unprocessed images. I then open the CSV file in Excel and throw down a simple line chart to graph the luminance change. Say for example I have 1000 images and the light level goes down for the first 200, then back up for 200, etc. I'll move the first 200 into my work folder and enter the high beginning level and low ending level. After those are processed I move them out of the work folder and the next 200 in to process the upswing. It certainly adds more labor to the workflow if this has to be repeated several times but I'm working on a new script that adds a mid-point level to catch some of these swings. So then if the luminance values went from say, 150 to 100 then back to 150, you can process both sides of the curve in one pass. It would be really cool to have one script that measures the luminance, calls Excel to analyze it and then PS automatically processes the results. I think this could be done if the call to Excel was made in VBscript but that and the needed algorithms to analyze the data are out of my league.

Chris

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:11 am

Chris, thanks for sharing this script. I love it when those who can (you) share with those who can't (me)!

JB

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:14 pm

jimbr549 wrote:
Chris, thanks for sharing this script. I love it when those who can (you) share with those who can't (me)!
JB

My pleasure. I hope you find them useful.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Major updates on all three scripts.

1. Scripts now retain entered values, i.e., the numbers you enter don't clear every time the script is run. This makes it easier if you need to tweak a number. The values also carry forward to the next script, so once you like the numbers in the first script you don't have to enter them again.

2. Selectable file types. This makes it easy to convert from one format to another.

3. Several renaming options. Keep the original file name or make a new one.

Please give them a try and give me some feedback.

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: Deflicker Scripts Ver.2
Deflicker_scriptsV2.zip [16.02 KiB]
Downloaded 630 times

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:22 pm

It's great that you are sharing these scripts and how-to openly. Many thanks for your hard work.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:37 am

hi,
my first post here. many thanks for the script. checked it now and is flawless. today i shot a short time lapse near the sea. flickered before, now not. now next step is to do a 24h. one problem less on the road to the perfect time lapse :lol:

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:14 pm

silyavski wrote:
hi,
my first post here. many thanks for the script. checked it now and is flawless. today i shot a short time lapse near the sea. flickered before, now not. now next step is to do a 24h. one problem less on the road to the perfect time lapse :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you find them useful. I hope you share your work with us.

Mind if I ask what operating system and version of Photoshop you are using? I received a bug report they weren't working on CS3 that I'm trying to track down.

Thanks,
Chris

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I also tried out your scripts and they are really sweet. It took me a couple tries to select te right area to complete disable flicker but it did it perfectly! So thumbs up for your work!!

One minor adjustment I would make: I would disable the option to rename the files completely cause in the csv file the files are arranged 1, 10, 100 and so on. When you run the script and completely rename and renumber the pictures, pic number 1 stays number 1 but picture 10 becomes picture 2 and so on (the same numbering as in the csv file). Hope I made it clear :-)

I'm using OSX and CS4.

Jakke

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:38 pm

jakke wrote:
One minor adjustment I would make: I would disable the option to rename the files completely cause in the csv file the files are arranged 1, 10, 100 and so on. When you run the script and completely rename and renumber the pictures, pic number 1 stays number 1 but picture 10 becomes picture 2 and so on (the same numbering as in the csv file). Hope I made it clear :-)

I'm using OSX and CS4.

Jakke

Jakke,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on an update that is sort of a pre-process process. At the start will be an option to crop and resize and the renaming option will be moved here. This will take care of the problem matching names in the CSV file. But I'm curious about the order they're coming up in your CSV file. Am I correct in understanding that if you have 100 images, they would be ordered 1,10,100,2,21,22...,3,31,32...,etc.? A while back I ran into this on a project. The problem turned out to be when I exported files out of Lightroom I had given them a name with two letters, like AB0001, AB0002, etc. When I took out a letter it worked fine. The strange thing is this problem doesn't happen with the original file names. My 1D files start with _55D, my 1Ds files are _Y7I and 5D Mk II are _MG_. I wonder if the underscore takes care of the sort problem because I would otherwise think those file names would be a problem, especially the 5D. So if you have a simple file name, the script should pick up your files in the proper sequence of 1-100. I don't know anything about Mac so maybe there is something about how Mac grabs the files I should know or if there is a bug to track down.

Thanks,
Chris

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 pm

I uploaded new versions. Replace your scripts with these. Primarily bugfixes to work on CS3 and better error detection.

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: PS Deflicker Version 02.03
DeflickerVer_02_03.zip [29.4 KiB]
Downloaded 625 times

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Chris,
first of all nice work and thank you for making it open and free. With regards to compensating for the variations in natural lighing whilst at the same time removing flicker I wonder if it would be worth trying a simple mathematical smoothing filter in the 3rd script rather than having to refer to an outside application or file? This might be as simple as NEW_VALUE = (PREVIOUS_NEW_VALUE*0.9 + CURRENT_VALUE*0.1)

I hope that makes sense = NEW_VALUE is the new 'de-flickered' value for luminance for the present frame, PREVIOUS_NEW_VALUE is the 'de-flickered' value for the previous frame and the CURRENT_VALUE is the original value for the current frame.

The 0.9/0.1 can be varied to make the smoothing more or less aggressive and it could also incorporate your existing system for a linear change in values over the period of the clip - although the filter in itself will compensate for any overall changes. There are more effective methods but this works quite well in noisy environments and is a good starting point. If you send me a CSV file of data I can implement it and show you what I mean in a spreadsheet.

I am not familiar with the scripting language but after a quick look should at least get the drift of it but unfortunately I am travelling a lot this week so it will be at least next weekend before I can have a proper look and see what's viable.

Cheers,
Mike

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Mike,

I think you're on to something. I've had thoughts like this in the past, but I could never figure out what the equation should look like. I ran a quick sample of 100 images and then plugged your equation into Excel. I haven't thrown this into a script yet, but this looks encouraging.

Chris

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Chris, it's referred to as a discrete low-pass filter, or exponentially-weighted moving average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_smoothing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_f ... ealization

Unbeatable bang for the buck, since it's essentially just one extra line of code. I've used it for all sorts of things; histogram-based deflickering, bulb-ramping, and motion control.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the info and links. How did you implement this for deflickering? Were the results noticeable?

This is cool to see so many people raising the bar on time-lapse with different approaches. Every time I come here I learn something new and that really keeps the inspiration level up.

Chris

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:50 am

Chris,
your results are about right. These types of filters are used to reduce noise in a number of applications and the one I am familiar with is sensors for UAVs for aerial photography. There are far more sophisticated versions than the one I have used but to be honest the difference is not massive in my experience - depends how fussy you and the application are. The one I have given you is probably the simplest to implement as it is just one line of code and maybe a couple to manage the old versions. Might need some code to set the influence of historical results if you want to make an input box but otherwise the user could just change the figure in the code.

The 0.9/0.1 split gives pretty good results in most applications I have used it. The main issue is latency in that there is a delay in reaction to a change - I do not think that this will be so important in this application.

If there is too much attenuation of natural changes in lighting you could always amplify the smoothed/deflickered output to recover the range of conditions.

Cheers,
Mike

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 am

For deflickering mild aperture/shutter flicker I simply took a sample region, formed moving averages for each channel of the RGB histogram (same equation you used), then renormalized the images according to these moving averages. I suppose it was preferable to having one constant global average. For a day-to-night type of scenario I imagine using a running average (i.e. one with a fading memory) would be critical. My post-processing efforts eventually ran out of steam - these days I avoid flicker like the plague.

One particularly nasty problem I had concerned saturated pixels, and what to do with them. That was the principle reason for decomposing the image into RGB channels...

As Mike points out, this filtering introduces a latency, or lag, in its response. Although I didn't find that to be problem (for deflickering), there is no reason why you can't apply an identical filter in the opposite direction (end to start) and combine the two running averages. That way a frame knows about frames either side of it. In effect it not only has a sense of where it has been, but also where it needs to go.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 am

Looking at Chris' plot it seems the latency is only around 2 frames so not so much of an issue I expect but the more you smooth the more this will increase and also the natural desirable(?) fluctuations will be attenuated - possibly quite significantly.

I think the first thing is to try the simple smoothing and see how effective it is and compare it with an unprocessed version. Then do some testing to see what factors are required in the smoothing to remove the flicker and what price is paid in attenuation. We can then move on to look at attenuation compensation which I am sure can be achieved quite satisfactorily.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:37 am

Jakke,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on an update that is sort of a pre-process process. At the start will be an option to crop and resize and the renaming option will be moved here. This will take care of the problem matching names in the CSV file. But I'm curious about the order they're coming up in your CSV file. Am I correct in understanding that if you have 100 images, they would be ordered 1,10,100,2,21,22...,3,31,32...,etc.? A while back I ran into this on a project. The problem turned out to be when I exported files out of Lightroom I had given them a name with two letters, like AB0001, AB0002, etc. When I took out a letter it worked fine. The strange thing is this problem doesn't happen with the original file names. My 1D files start with _55D, my 1Ds files are _Y7I and 5D Mk II are _MG_. I wonder if the underscore takes care of the sort problem because I would otherwise think those file names would be a problem, especially the 5D. So if you have a simple file name, the script should pick up your files in the proper sequence of 1-100. I don't know anything about Mac so maybe there is something about how Mac grabs the files I should know or if there is a bug to track down.

Thanks,
Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris sorry for the late reply. I have added a pic on how it orders the the files in the csv file.

Grtz Jakke

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 am

Jakke,

Try changing your filename to one letter, like T instead of Timelapse, and see if that gives the proper order. The dash (-) shouldn't matter, but I would take that out just to be sure.

Chris

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:52 am

I uploaded a new auto deflickering script based on Mike's idea. The sample area needs to be entered as in the other scripts. There is also a slider to adjust the aggressiveness of the smoothing action. The lower the number, the more aggressive it is.

Un-zip this to your scripts folder and it will be under File>Automate. This is a beta/kick-the-tires script, so please try it and give me feedback.

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: Auto Deflicker
AutoDeflickerBeta01.zip [5.62 KiB]
Downloaded 459 times

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:41 am

Updates on the Auto Deflicker script. No need to enter the starting value now, I re-wrote it to be self-calculating. Since you guys are smarter than the average bear, I stripped the UI down to barebones. I figure this is a testbed to try out new ideas, so I'd rather keep the code flexible. Because of this, the processed images are found in a new subfolder of your images folder. The script now shows up under File>Scripts in Photoshop. Oh, I also left the CSV writing function in I use for testing. The CSV file can be found in the output folder with the processed images.

Of course, this could all change with the next iteration, but that's half the fun, right?

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: Auto Deflicker Beta 2
AutoDeflickerBeta02.zip [3.4 KiB]
Downloaded 437 times

Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:00 am

jakke wrote:
Jakke,

the script should pick up your files in the proper sequence of 1-100. I don't know anything about Mac so maybe there is something about how Mac grabs the files I should know or if there is a bug to track down.

For a mac, make sure there's always a zero before the last set of numbers in the fiilenames. So, if its img_1, img_2 up to img_2000, it must be re-named to be img_00001, img_00002 up to img_02000. This will stop the mac treating file 1, 10 and 100 as sequential.

Cheers

M

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:33 am

Thanks, Murray, that's good to know.

Chris

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:28 am

Hi Chris,

I think I found a bug in the latest (beta_02) script. It does not seem to want to run on a folder of tiffs? It works fine with my jpeg folders.

I'm on a mac with PSCS5

Thanks for this - it's a great bit of work!!

Cheers
Murray

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:14 am

You are right, Murray. I forgot to change a file extension mask I used in debugging. The new version should work now. This script will open most common file types, but only saves as JPEGs (the originals aren't harmed). I'll put together one with an option save in different formats.

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: Auto Deflicker Beta 03
AutoDeflickerBeta03.zip [3.48 KiB]
Downloaded 439 times

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:25 am

Being able to save back as tiffs would be extremely handy as I find the ability to work in 16bitt makes a huge difference when grading sequences, particularly with dark/ night scenes and anything with high dynamic range...

Incidentally, as a result of using your method, I have also changed to using 'keyframe' and analyse within rectangle in GB deflicker and noticing that this provides much better results than using smoothing and relying on average luminance...

Cheers

Murray

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm happy to hear these are useful for you, Murray. I uploaded a new version with selectable save formats of TIF, PSD and JPEG. TIF has a choice of different compression schemes, or none at all. JPEG has selectable quality from 1-12, default is set at 10. The old scripts saved at 12. One, two or all three formats can be selected to output at once if desired. I also added a reset button and added bit more error catching.

Do you find the CSV file useful? Any information missing you would like added?

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: Auto Deflicker Beta 04
AutoDeflickerBeta04.zip [4.49 KiB]
Downloaded 518 times

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:38 am

Thank you Chris!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks Chris, I´ll give it a try!
Cheers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:41 am

I added a modified version of the CSV file creation script. This one just measures the histogram level and doesn't look at the metadata. I found the original crashes when trying to process an image with the metadata stripped out (duh!). When placed in the scripts folder, it is found under File>Automate>2A. Create Luminosity Only CSV File.

I made a minor change to the Auto Deflicker script so it now appears under File>Automate>AutoDeflicker Beta to be consistent with the other scripts.

The zip file contains five scripts and when extracted to the scripts folder, you will find under File>Automate:

The original three:
1. Find Luminosity Sample Area
2. Create Luminosity CSV File
3. Luminosity Leveling Process

The modified CSV file:
2A. Create Luminosity Only CSV File

and AutoDeflicker Beta.

To recap for those who quickly skim a thread and might miss an important point (that would be me), a typical result of the AutoDeflicker script will be to smooth out some of the flickering, but not completely remove it. I’ve found it works great as an adjunct to the other deflickering scripts or other deflickering processes. Occasionally further processing isn’t necessary, but I see that as a bonus, not something to expect every time.

Attachments:
File comment: All Scripts
All_Scripts.zip [27.01 KiB]
Downloaded 542 times

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 am

I feel like I have to say it again: GREAT WORK Chris!!!!

Jakke

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:49 am

Jakke, thank you. I appreciate that.

Chris

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:12 am

And now for something completely different. I've been playing around with Flex panels lately and uploaded a CS4 and CS5 version. So what do these do? They put the deflickering scripts in a dockable panel for easy installation and easier access.

It is important to download the right file for your version of PS. Unzip the file and double-click it. Adobe Extension Manager will start and install it. That's it, you're done. Unless, of course, you're on Windows Vista or Windows 7. Click on Start and work your way to Adobe Extension Manager. Right click on it and select "Run as administrator". Click "Install" or File>Install Extension. The extension gets installed and you're done. Nice and easy. Open PS and go to Window>Extensions>Deflicker CS5 (or CS4). A dockable panel opens with the deflickering scripts ready to go. The CS5 version has an accordion panel that separates AutoDeflicker from the regular deflicker scripts. The panel can be docked with other panels, docked by itself or float freely.

When you're done with the scripts, click on the double right chevrons on the top-right and the panel will minimize, waiting for next time.

Let me know if these don't work or have a problem. CS5 should be fine, but I don't have CS4.

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: CS4 Deflicker Panel
DeflickerCS4.zip [501.52 KiB]
Downloaded 457 times
File comment: CS5 Deflicker Panel
DeflickerCS5.zip [751.27 KiB]
Downloaded 641 times

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:47 am

Murray,
when you use the key frame method how do you take account of the natural changes of lighting in a scene - sun disappearing behind a cloud then reappearing? I can only presume that GB Deflicker is doing some kind of smoothing between the key frames which could be linear or on some kind of curve that does not have the small glitches that would still remain after the simple smoothing filter I gave to Chris. I think for steady lighting conditions I would expect Chris' first method to give good results - I don't know - haven't had the chance to try it. The main reason I suggested the smoothing fllter was that it the problem seems to be defilckering whilst retaining natural variance so maybe the smoothing needs to be a bit more sophisticated.....?

Cheers,
Mike

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:51 am

Mike,

I have to admit that the technical instructions / manuals etc for GBDF are pretty light on information. I have been playing with the settings and testing (in conjunction with Chris's scripts here) and this is what I think is happening.

Keyframes:
Allows me to click the luminance stopwatch icon in AE and start keyframing average luminance (by moving the black slider under the histogram). I can then manually set the luminance levels across the sequence to make sure the overall luminance of the scene stays even. This seems to allow me to manually override 'false' darkening and lightening due to GBDF interpreting changes of lighting conditions within the scene in a way that I don't like.

To my mind there are two things going on
1. Average luminance of the sequence at any one point in time
2. Flicker and de-flicker from frame to frame within that average luminance.

As the number frames to be averaged over (default 15) stays active for both keyframe and smoothing methods, the deflicker still works from frame to frame ( calculated to an average deafault over 15 frames) but the average luminance of the sequence at any point can be set manually by sliding the black triangle under the histogram. The yellow triangle shows you at point what GBDF has calculated the average luminance to be.

The option of using 'analyse within rectangle' just narrows down the point where the calculations are made from. I have been getting good results even when those areas change from light to dark through the sequence - maybe accounted for by my manual luminance corrections and then averaged out of the 15 frames?

Make sure you preview the whole sequence first for GBDF to make its initial calculations.

If what I think is happening here is not actually happening, please correct me :)

Cheers

Murray

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Chris,
any chance you can send me the raw numbers you used for that graph on the first page of this thread? I have just read Murray's reply to my earlier post (thanks mate!) and have some ideas I would like to try in terms of maybe improving the filter - basically have a look at the mathematics a bit more.

Cheers,
Mike

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm