It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:27 am

virtualDub deFlicker help 

Post virtualDub deFlicker help
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to apply the deflicker filter in virtualdub? I add it to the filter menu and then click 'ok' but it doesn't appear to make any difference to the flicker in my image sequence. I've played with the settings a bit but haven't had much luck. Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:15 am

Post Re: virtualDub deFlicker help
I assume you are talking about MSU deflicker? Often it won't be able to eliminate heavy flicker (which has been the case for other deflicker solutions I have tried as well), but you should still be able to see the effect of it. A quick check to make sure you are applying it ok:
1) Load image sequence, set compression settings (Ctrl+p), and hit Ctrl+f to get the Filters dialogue box.
2) Choose "Add...", select MSU Deflicker from list, hit OK, then Ok in MSU Deflicker dialogue box (just do default settings: MSU with period definition, use blend, Safety 33, Change ground 10, Blend threshold 6). Back at the Filters dialogue box the deflicker should now appear in the list of applied filters. Click Ok.
3) Press F7 to export the video. Compare it to another video that you exported without adding the filter; it should show some difference even if some of the heavier flicker may remain.
If this is what you've already done and it just didn't work, maybe you can make a version of the video (without deflicker filter applied) available somewhere (such as on vimeo) that I can test to see if it can be helped?

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:09 am

I use this deflicker filter with VirtualDub and it is very effective.

1. Download the zip file and extract it to your virtualdub/plugins folder.

2. Open your .avi file in VirtualDub.

3. On the menu bar click on "Video" and then "Filters".

4. Click on "Add" and in the list you should see "deflicker (1.3b1)". Select that filter and click OK. The default settings usually do a good job, so click OK again, or click Help for an explanation of the settings. Click OK a third time to close the Filters window.

5. On the menu bar click File and then "Save as AVI". Enter a file name and click Save.

6. Open your .avi file and enjoy*!

* This method will give you an uncompressed .avi file. It will be quite large. Depending on the length and frame size you can expect several gigabytes for one file. Here's an option to get a smaller file.

4b. On the menu bar click on "Video" again and then "Compression". You will see a list of codecs you have installed. Select the one that will give the output you want and then continue on with step 5. A very good lossless and free codec I use is Lagarith.

EDIT: I just noticed flyvholm's keyboard shortcuts. They get you to the same places I mentioned, but quicker. Thanks for the tip!

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:54 am

I recall there was a key you could press while the deflicker was running that would show you a before/after split screen. Anyone know? I can't seem to find it.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Go to View -> Pane Layout. Choose to show both panes, and enable "Auto-size panes". Also make sure that both panes are enabled (F9 switches on/off input, F10 for output). Press the output playback button and both should play back side by side - one smaller than the other if you're using a resize filter. Will also show the footage as you compile.

For the record I'll have to back up Chris' recommendation of the Graft deflicker. Strangely, the MSU deflicker is represented as being better than Graft at avoiding 'greyouts' when frame content changes suddenly. I'm not sure under which circumstances that would be; in the cases I've come across I've found it to be the other way around. But naively I took MSU's word for it for a long time without actually bothering to test it. Graft is the most effective of the deflickers I've tried, including GBDeflicker for After Effects. Whenever that fails to eliminate the flicker entirely I don't bother adjusting the settings anymore as that may be a long exercise that turns out useless in the end. Instead I run the footage through Graft which hasn't let me down so far (though, for some really bad flicker I had to apply it twice).

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Ive just downloaded this deflicker filter but how do I actually extract it to the virtualdub / plugins folder? I admit Ive never done this sort of thing before. Btw, I already have Virtualdub.

Chris wrote:
I use this deflicker filter with VirtualDub and it is very effective.

1. Download the zip file and extract it to your virtualdub/plugins folder.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Ive been playing around a bit but not having much success in installing this filter into Virtual Dub. When I open Virtualdub in WinZip Pro, there are two copies of a folder called Plugins 32. I drag the vdf and html Deflick files into there and I get this message: "Your files have been added to the zip file. The files have been compressed."

However, when I go into Virtualdub and check the list of filters, I don't see any sign of the Deflicker filter that I'm trying to install.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:46 am

I neither use this plugin nor know it, but I suspect that you don't need to add anything to the zip file, but instead extract from the zip file to another folder.

Depending on the operating system you use, the virtualdub/plugins folder might probably be somewhere similar to this:
Mac: Macintosh HD/Programs/virtualdub/plugins
Windows: C/Program Files/virtualdub/plugins

So you wanna open the downloaded zip file with the plugins files and copy all these files out of the zip to this plugins folder.

Maybe this helps..

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:05 am

fabians.ch wrote:
Depending on the operating system you use, the virtualdub/plugins folder might probably be somewhere similar to this:
Windows: C/Program Files/virtualdub/plugins

Yea, I'm using Windows and I can see Virtualdub in Desktop rather than Program Files. Problem is I can't view it in folder mode. Virtualdub appears as an .exe file. If I click on it, it just opens the software. There are lots of options when I right-click on it but can't see anything that would allow me to view the Plugins folder.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:27 pm

The one on the desktop is probably just a shortcut, a link, to the original .exe file, which would then lie somewhere in "C:/Program Files/Virtual Dub" or similar. You can right click the one on the desktop and click on Properties (or something like that, I don't use Windows computer very often these days...), then it should display the exact path of the shortcut (if it actually is a shortcut).

I don't know anything about Virtual Dub, but I suspect, that it is installed like pretty much all applications are on a Windows computer and therefore has a folder somewhere, which - by default - would be located at C:/Program Files. You might have installed/extracted it to another folder, if there is no such folder in Program Files.

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 am

I'm still not having much success. I have located Virtualdub - it's in C / Users / Patrick / Desktop. Though the .exe file is displayed there and once again, clicking on that simply opens the software. When I right-click on it, amongst the many options, I see a number of options associated with WinZip and WinRAR - but I can't see anything that would lead me to the Plugins folder.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Nothing that leads to a plugin folder, just the Properties:
Attachment:
jpeg.jpg
jpeg.jpg [ 6.26 KiB | Viewed 13741 times ]

..so just go into Explorer and make a search for "VirtualDub". What do you find?

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:13 am

Hi all, I'm quite new to this forum and slow at typing.... :)

If you right click on your Vdub icon on the desktop then click on properties you will bring up the properties window look for "target" or click on the "find target" button

The target will show you where the main Vdub folder is.

On my windows PC its in C:\Users\David\Downloads\VirtualDub-1.9.11

I hope this helps

SD.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 am

sparkydave wrote:
If you right click on your Vdub icon on the desktop then click on properties you will bring up the properties window look for "target" or click on the "find target" button
SD.

Hello there and welcome to the forum. Ive right-clicked and selected Properties but can't find any 'target'. However, it does mention the location and that is the same as was mentioned in my previous post - C: / Users / Patrick / Desktop. But of course that just leads to the .exe file.

fabians.ch wrote:
..so just go into Explorer and make a search for "VirtualDub". What do you find?

The weird thing is no results are found when I search for 'VirtualDub'. That didn't used to be the case. It's still on my computer though.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 pm

So it seems like this is just the installation file. What happens when you open/double-click it?

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:54 pm

fabians.ch wrote:
So it seems like this is just the installation file. What happens when you open/double-click it?

You mean the .exe file? Clicking on that opens the software.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:09 pm

tribal-warrior wrote:
When I open Virtualdub in WinZip Pro, there are two copies of a folder called Plugins 32. I drag the vdf and html Deflick files into there and I get this message: "Your files have been added to the zip file. The files have been compressed."

Just a thought, is it possible that you didn't extract the contents of the virtualdub zip file you downloaded?

Try "extract" or "extract here" in your right click options or re-download the program and start again... Its easy to do again, just download the latest stable release from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ remember to download either the 32 or 64 bit version (depending on your OS) to your desktop then make sure you unzip the contents into a new folder (Do not run it directly from the zip file!).

Then you should see all the other files plugin folder etc.

I hope this helps

SD.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:08 am

sparkydave wrote:
then make sure you unzip the contents into a new folder (Do not run it directly from the zip file!).

Then you should see all the other files plugin folder etc.

Okay, Ive unzipped the contents into a new folder which I created in the Desktop. I can see a Plugins32 folder in there amongst other things. With the Deflicker Plugin files I downloaded, should I just drag them into the Plugins 32 folder or do they need to be unzipped (extracted) into that folder?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:03 pm

pretty sure the flicker reduction plugins will need to be unzipped or decompressed and moved into the plugins folder. when you next start virtualdub you should be able to add deflicker from the list of filters if you cant something still isn't quite right. it's a rather interesting learning curve installing programs and addons when you first start with computers well that's mostly pc's i guess ;) dunno how mac's go. once you get it sorted you might like to get the other deflicker filter both are free for non commercial use :D. if you can't get it to work. got any friends that know their way around a computer that could help sort you out ?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:12 am

chardie wrote:
it's a rather interesting learning curve installing programs and addons when you first start with computers well that's mostly pc's i guess ;)

I'm not new to computers but I am new to zip files. I just never use zip files for my computer work so I'm clueless about them. However, I did the extracting and at last, I can now see the deflick plugin among the list of filters. Now to work out how to use it!

Okay I applied the deflicker filter to a clip of mine and unfortunately, it did not remove the flicker. If anything, I think it may have accentuated it slightly. Oh well.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Dear all, I tried to add the Deflick.vdf Filter in VirtualDub 1.10.4 but an error message occured. I think the filter files are where they should be.

English Translation: ".......Deflick.vdf": %1 is not a valid Win32 application".

Any help please ?

Thanks in advance.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:04 am

Yakawar wrote:
English Translation: ".......Deflick.vdf": %1 is not a valid Win32 application".

Any help please ?

Thanks in advance.

so it sound like you need to be in 64 bit mode (I don't know how this works in the windows world) I going to assume you need to upgrade your OS to a 64 bit version or get a 32 bit version of the plug-in.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Well... I do have win64bit and I installed the 64bit version of Virtualdub, that's why i'm a little bit lost here.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Yakawar wrote:
Well... I do have win64bit and I installed the 64bit version of Virtualdub, that's why i'm a little bit lost here.

this is from their download page - I don't know if it would help but maybe you should try the 32-bit version:

It is recommended that you use the 32-bit version unless you have a specific need for 64-bit execution, as the 64-bit version cannot use 32-bit codecs or plugins.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm

pixelbot wrote:
Yakawar wrote:

this is from their download page - I don't know if it would help but maybe you should try the 32-bit version:

It is recommended that you use the 32-bit version unless you have a specific need for 64-bit execution, as the 64-bit version cannot use 32-bit codecs or plugins.

We've got a winner !

Thanks the 32bit version works fine and Oks the .vdf file on my windows7-64bits while the 64bit vdub does not.

Thank you again ; )

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:35 am