It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:41 pm

Another way to de-flicker video 
Post Another way to de-flicker video
So, I "discovered" an interesting trick for de-flickering time-lapse photos without having to export an avi into an external application (I use vegas, with no ready0made de-flicker plugins)...

Now, this only works for shots where you're shooting over a relatively consistent lighting level, say, an afternoon shot, etc. It won't work for sunsets and such if you used a fixed exposure over the time (for reasons that will soon become obvious).

Anyhow, when doing my "big bend" piece ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=413 ) - I shot pretty much everything during the day in jpeg mode. Using a K10D, the shots come out pretty flat in jpeg, and usually I don't mind b/c I'm shooting for black and white, and primarily in RAW - I like them a little flat to begin with, giving me more latitude in processing. However, for the daytime color shots, I started playing manually with levels and curves in photoshop, and got frustrated after a minute, and just hit "auto-levels". This gave me a good starting point to make a minor level adjustment.

So, I recorded into my action to first perform an auto-levels adjustment, and then make all of my other adjustments on top of that. Auto-levels brings everything up to a "reasonable expectation of as bright and contrasty, with neutral lighting as you can get without damaging the photo" (that's my take on it =) - what this resulted in was all of the frames being brought to the same point. Voila - suddenly there was _zero_ flicker in the video from slight exposure/aperture variations.

You can see the results of this, in the 2nd and 3rd clips in the video. There are some color-cast issues in a few frames as the clouds pass over, but nothing that can't be fixed easily. As I have always done some photoshop batch-processing before bringing the frames into vegas, it really adds no extra time to my process, assuming it can be used on a particular clip.

!c

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:46 am