It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:03 pm

What do you use to turn your photos into a video? 

Post What do you use to turn your photos into a video?
After seeing Lucasbergs Vegas video, shot with a Pentax W30, it helped me make my mind up that I wanted one.. I actually wanted it for its 'underwater' mode, but its Interval feature was the icing on the cake.

I got it to day, tried out its video and was very disappointed.. I set it to take shots at 1 min interval for 30 mins and output it as a Video.

Since the video is at 30fps, I expected to get a 1 second clip, but what I got was 5 seconds long and it was really jerky and when I looked closely at each frame I could see that the camera duplicates each frame 5 times.

So you end up with a 30fps video, with only 6 unique frames per second.. Not very good.

Looking back at Lucasbergs Vegas video, I can see that its a lot smoother and after following his links around the Vimeo site, I have now worked out that is not using the video feature at all, but taking stills instead. And that lead me here.

Clearly this is the way forwards as the camera allows you to make photos more frequency in its still mode (10 seconds it the lowest) than in its video modes (where 1 min is the lowest).

So, to get to the point and cut a long story short.. Assuming that I use my W30 to take stills, what is the best software to join them up into a video? I don't want to do anything clever.. I simply need something which will handle multiple JPEGs and join them up into an AVI/MPEG/MOV or what ever.

I look forwards to your replies and thankyou in advance for any help you can offer.

All the best

Jon

Fri May 09, 2008 5:20 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: What do you use to turn your photos into a video?
Basically any non-linear editing (NLE) program will do it - Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, Apple's Final Cut Pro, etc.

All you do is create a new project and set the timeline to 24 frames per second or 30fps or whatever you want, import the image sequence (usually a couple hundred numbered stills) and when you drop the image sequence onto the timeline, it spaces it out so there are 24 frames per second, or 30 frames per second, etc. Then you use "scale" and "position" settings to make the frame fit. It's very easy, if you are shooting JPEGs. There might be programs cheaper than the high-end NLEs I mentioned that willow allow you to do this as well.

I have to say that 10-second minimum intervals do not sound good at all to me, since that will result in a really jerky video. You want to keep the intervals low - from about 1 or 2 seconds up to maybe 7 seconds for long exposure stuff at night, typically.

I am sure Lucasberg can fill you in on more details.

Fri May 09, 2008 5:33 pm

timescapes wrote:
Basically any non-linear editing (NLE) program will do it - Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, Apple's Final Cut Pro, etc.

All you do is create a new project and set the timeline to 24 frames per second or 30fps or whatever you want, import the image sequence (usually a couple hundred numbered stills) and when you drop them image sequence onto the timeline, it spaces it out so there are 24 frames per second, or 30 frames per second, etc. Then you use "scale" and "position" settings to make the frame fit. It's very easy, if you are shooting JPEGs. There might be programs cheaper than the high-end NLEs I mentioned that willow allow you to do this as well.

I have to say that 10-second minimum intervals do not sound good at all to me, since that will result in a really jerky video. You want to keep the intervals low - from about 1 or 2 seconds up to maybe 7 seconds for long exposure stuff at night, typically.

I am sure Lucasberg can fill you in on more details.

Many thanks.. I know that 1 shot in 10 seconds isn't going to be great.. But its the only option I have... The cameras is only a simple point and shoot and this feature is more of a novetly really.. But I am interested in trying it out.

Thanks for your help.. I will give it a go

Cheers

Jon

Sat May 10, 2008 12:18 am

If your lowest interval is only 10 seconds why don't you use it to shot very slow moving object, such as a flower opening or closing or blossoms on a tree coming out.
For flowers I would use an interval setting anywhere from 15secs to 1 min depending on the speed it opens or closes at.

Sat May 10, 2008 6:21 am
Like Tom sayz NLE will do ya. There is a free .jpg to video codec of your choice prog from a cool guy in the netherlands:

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/

The Optio W series definitely has it's drawbacks in terms of interval spacing and no manual mode. But it does have it's niche due to the waterproof case. I'd really like to see $200 range compacts like this with auto and at least a 5sec interval!! Many ricohs do satisfy this criteria but they are a little more pricy...

Sat May 10, 2008 6:35 am

Stew wrote:
If your lowest interval is only 10 seconds why don't you use it to shot very slow moving object, such as a flower opening or closing or blossoms on a tree coming out.
For flowers I would use an interval setting anywhere from 15secs to 1 min depending on the speed it opens or closes at.

Thanks all.. To be honest, the 10 second mode is fine.. I have been experimenting with 'Ice Melting' and am pleased with the results.. If anything, 10 seconds is a little slow, so I am going ot try again with a larger interval.

Certainly 10 seconds+ gives me a lot of scope for the sort of playing that I want to do.

I have found some nice software called 'VideoMach' and it works very well.. But will look at that free PhotoLapse 3 software too.

Thanks again for all your help

Jon

Sun May 11, 2008 7:56 am

Here's what I use if your interested. I take all my RAW images into Lightroom, which is an Adobe program much like Apple's Aperture. I do some very slight adjustments to the first frame of the sequence and I also mask it to a 16x9 matte. You lose a little off the top and bottom but if you know this might happen when your shooting then you should be okay. After that I take all those settings and apply them to the entire sequence. Then I output the frames as 1920x1080 TIFFs so that I can drop those into FCP. I put those frames into a sequence and then output it to a QT file with the same resolution. That way I have a clip that's way easier to work with than a bunch of frames.

http://vimeo.com/channels/17831

Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 pm
Site Admin

Can final cut deal directly with PSD image files? Any advantage to TIFF over PSD, for example?

Sun May 11, 2008 12:25 pm

I just use TIFFs because its what I know. I haven't tried using PSD files. It might work.

http://vimeo.com/channels/17831

Sun May 11, 2008 11:59 pm
I believe TIFF and PSD are very similar flavors - both support uncompressed and layers. It's splitting hair between the two in terms of quality. I tend to use TIFF due to the wider compatibility...

Mon May 12, 2008 4:43 am

After raw development and some cropping and resizing with Photoshop, I use virtual dub to produce the movie out of the image sequence. Great program!
Afterwards, I use Adobe Premiere Elements (Shame on me but I am a poor PhD student :) ) to add some music and titles and so on.
If I process full HD 1980x..., Premiere gets really slow and needs more than 1.5GB of RAM, so I am not sure if this is the correct workflow. I normally use the xvid codec. Maybe Premiere prefers an other one; does anybody know that?

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:13 am
Site Admin

Michael, I don't see why you would need the Virtual Dub step. Just batch process your RAW frames through Photoshop and save them as JPEGs or Tiffs or PSDs at maxed out quality - or maybe 95% quality with JPEGs. Then simply import your image sequence into Premiere Elements, add your music and so on. Cutting out "the middle man" should increase the quality of your final product. JPEGs will "scrub" a lot faster than TIFFs or PSDs in your Premiere timeline.

BTW, since you have Premiere Elements, I wonder if you could try something out for me? Are you able to import RAW image sequences directly into Premiere Elements - without batching them through Photoshop? Adobe's site says that their Camera Raw plugin works with Elements, but I have not been able to confirm or refute that, since I don't have Elements.

thanks a lot

Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:55 am

timescapes wrote:
Michael, I don't see why you would need the Virtual Dub step. Just batch process your RAW frames through Photoshop and save them as JPEGs or Tiffs or PSDs at maxed out quality - or maybe 95% quality with JPEGs. Then simply import your image sequence into Premiere Elements, add your music and so on. Cutting out "the middle man" should increase the quality of your final product. JPEGs will "scrub" a lot faster than TIFFs or PSDs in your Premiere timeline.

BTW, since you have Premiere Elements, I wonder if you could try something out for me? Are you able to import RAW image sequences directly into Premiere Elements - without batching them through Photoshop? Adobe's site says that their Camera Raw plugin works with Elements, but I have not been able to confirm or refute that, since I don't have Elements.

thanks a lot

Great, I did not know this! One of the reason I use Virtual Dub is also somehow to save some space on my disk, but maybe I'll just buy another disk, since diskspace is virtually free nowadays...
I will try out the raw plugin as soon as it has finished rendering my latest project!
Michael

EDIT: Yes, dragging Raw Images into Premiere Elements works.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:12 am
Site Admin

You might want to make sure the Camera RAW plugin is in your Elements plugin folder. I guess it might already be in your common shared Adobe plugins folder?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=3560

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:16 am

Strange, it just worked without installing the new plugin. But I already have Photoshop CS3 installed (including the raw plugin), so probably Premiere gets it from there.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:45 pm
Site Admin

What do you mean it worked? Success??!!

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:53 pm

timescapes wrote:
What do you mean it worked? Success??!!

Yes! I can drag .cr2 images into Adobe Premiere Elements and put them into the time line. Nevertheless, it runs after rendering not with 25 frames/s but much slower. No idea how to change this. Neither can I set the raw development settings, but maybe I just have not found it yet!

Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:06 am
Site Admin

So you can import RAW files into Elements, but you can't use the Camera Raw dialog box to color correct and adjust the images? I guess they are showing up in your timeline with the white balance you shot with?

Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:24 am

Yes, it looks like! But anyways, I don't see a problem in doing the raw-jpg conversion before with your prefered raw converter and import jpgs into Premiere.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:21 pm