It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:18 am

Stabilizing forward movement 

Post Stabilizing forward movement
Hi all,
I have a couple of hyper/boatlapses that I shot from a boat with the camera facing forward. Most of the footage is already pretty good, but there are still some unwanted movements that I would like to get rid of (because the boat made a small left or right turn).
Warp Stabilizer does an awful job and there are no areas that remain in frame for the entire duration of the clip that I could use to track and stabilize motion manually. Does anyone have suggestions what else I could try?
I'm on After Effects CC and I do have Mocha AE, but not Pro (I haven't tried Mocha, so I don't know if that would do a better job).

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 am

Post Re: Stabilizing forward movement
Try Deshaker which works under VirtualDub as a plugin. If you work with a pure image stream with uncompressed frames it works well. I have done a lot of forward moving shots this way with image streams/AVI and it gives me the best results. Some have been 20 mins long continuous. You need to tune the parameters a bit though. It might help.

"tick-tock ....click-clock ...."

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:32 am

Unfortunately I am on a Mac and don't have a Windows machine where I could install this. But thanks anyway!

Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 am

I uploaded one sequence: https://vimeo.com/108330483 Password is "boatlapse". I am now thinking of trying to use stabilize motion, track position only and then apply it to the horizontal plane only. Might have to break up the sequence in multiple sections to make this work. Will keep you posted but I am open to other suggestions!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:30 am

Tracking position manually and applying it to the X-axis only, combined with some minor shifts in rotation, gave satisfying results. The final result will be up soon!

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:28 am