It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:28 am

Introduction and my open-source kickstarter project 

Post Introduction and my open-source kickstarter project
Hi Everyone,

My name is Nate. I´ve been browsing this forum for a long time but have not contributed before.

Just want to get the word out. We have a funded Kickstarter project for a zipline based time lapse rig.
We have no immediate plans to make any more because itś been a real headache getting it done.

But I wanted the Arduino software at least to be open source and have a life after this product.

So please check it out and make changes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... pse-dolly/

https://github.com/nategallagher/Charlotte

Cheers,
Nate Gallagher

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Post Re: Introduction and my open-source kickstarter project
WOW Thats really nice. I think its great that you are making the effort to tell people about the free software out there. Its especially nice since you decided not to keep selling the hardware. Would you mind telling why you decided not to keep selling the dolly? To be honest, I did not buy one. I already have a collection of dollies. I was also a little concerned about it swinging back and forth in the wind as it spends a few hours doing a timelapse run. This concern was exacerbated by guys using a zipline dolly for their gopro. They had to shoot in high speed mode so the slow motion effect reduced the tilt up-down-up-down that happened as their dolly wobbled around while going down the lines.

Did you use a come-along or ratchet straps to pull the two lines really tight? Were you able to use it in wind without the need to stabilize the footage in post? A cable dolly has such obvious advantages for anyone attempting to work far away from roads. I am curious about how well it worked in the most adverse wind conditions. A lot of my field work is on beaches or islands where a constant 20 MPH plus wind is the norm much of the year. I'd be interested in making one or buying one if you have one or two extra that you still want to sell.

Do you mind me asking why you don't want to manufacture any more of the dollies? Were there unexpected problems with manufacture of the mechanical parts or the circuit or the firmware? We do small quantity manufacturing, one-offs, PC board design and Arduino programming. Maybe we can make whatever parts of this have been problematic for your current resources? You can check out some of our stuff at our website Stepoutmoco.com

You can email Frank about PC board or firmware at the contact info on our site.
You can email me with any questions about the mechanicals at Sciencelookers@aol.com

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:34 am