It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:29 am

Hello from Sausalito 

Post Hello from Sausalito
Hi everyone, I'm Rob, new to photographic time lapse and these boards. I live in Sausalito, just north of San Francisco, California. I have always enjoyed watching time lapse movies and decided to try making some myself.

Been lurking for a little while, have found good useful info here. I have done some experimental time lapses with my Canon 20D, here are some links to unedited versions.

First experiment, Sausalito/Richardson Bay shot on a Sunday afternoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiuluhD148
After this I set up a separate channel on YouTube for my time lapses. http://www.youtube.com/user/timecompressed

Once I get my camera cleaned, I'll be shooting working on some more time lapses.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Post Re: Hello from Sausalito
</wave>

I'm across the bay from you.

Kara

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 am

Hey Robwhite...

I like the walkway inclusion, as it helps frame the movement of time in a "knowable" way...

Did you have the autofocus turned on here? I am getting a weird effect from parts of the clip, and I just can't put my finger on it.

Also, what was you cadence? I'd shorten the duration by half and see it that helps some of the "too long" feeling.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:01 pm

BerthaDUniverse wrote:
Hey Robwhite...

I like the walkway inclusion, as it helps frame the movement of time in a "knowable" way...

Did you have the autofocus turned on here? I am getting a weird effect from parts of the clip, and I just can't put my finger on it.

Also, what was you cadence? I'd shorten the duration by half and see it that helps some of the "too long" feeling.

The Sausalito footage was shot from the deck of my home. I was mainly testing how long my battery would last shooting on a 2 second interval. I had the camera (20D) on program mode, I'm pretty sure I had autofocus turned off, but I forgot to turn off the IS on the lens. These were more experiments than something edited and finished, If I edited it, I would keep the latter part around where the two sailboats leave. This sequence was shot before I found the Timescapes Forums, I'm still learning how to improve my shots.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi Rob: I'm in the Northbay as well. So, that view looks familiar. :)
That area reminds me of Tiburon which is close by right? I remember seeing the Bay Ferry
stop over on some pier. Last time i was there was for a film festival.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:35 am

Yep, that's Belvedere and Tiburon in the distance. I've been scouting out locations around town to do a Sausalito themed TL once the weather is more cooperative.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:52 am

Look forward to seeing them. I'm planning on going to Muir Woods next month first time.
I want to learn more about Marin area. I'm familiar with Novato, Corte Madera and San Rafael. Went to Sausalito and Tiburon once.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:01 am

If you are thinking about Muir Woods, also check out Roy's Redwoods park. It is a county park off off Nicasio Valley road, just north of Sir Francis Drake Blvd in San Geronimo Valley. It is different from Muir Woods, an undeveloped park with many tall and interesting trees, including redwoods lining a natural meadow presenting a wall of green foliage.

Other parks to check are Samuel B Taylor State Park, and the many different aspects of Mount Tam. If you haven't been there, check out Ridgecrest Drive, Alpine Lake, and the Mountain Theater. Closer to Sausalito is the Marin Headlands, with Conzelman Rd which runs along the north side of the Golden Gate up to Hawk Hill, then down to Point Bonita Lighthouse.

Marin County has so many wonderful places to visit and photograph.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks Rob! I'll put all this in my notes. Today looks so nice. Wish i could go out there.
Next week, going to Big Sur first time for scouting.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 am