It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:15 pm

G'day, from Aussie Jim 

Post G'day, from Aussie Jim
G'day..
Just thought I'd pop in and say hi to everyone and look forward to a happy, informative time with this group. I enclose my first attempts at TL of the Sun..... http://vimeo.com/34189832

I'm a full time self employed astronomer http://www.starsabove.com.au and a freelance photojournalist. I use Canon and Nikon gear and hope to be using a Skywatcher Multi Function mount if they are still available. Once that is sorted out, I'm off to DP to get the MX2 engine, and their Merlin adapter and get stuck into TL photography big time.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Post Re: G'day, from Aussie Jim
Welcome Jim.

Nice to see some backyard solar cinematography. What time intervals are you using? I think your mysterious objects are probably flies or some other insect crawling across the front element. Spiders have left similar trails on some of my night shots. As for the small jitters in the image - they should be fixable in post with image stabilization. There's a pretty good deshaker plugin in the free VirtualDub software.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 am

Welcome to the site mate.

Owen

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 am

colinmlegg wrote:
Welcome Jim.

Nice to see some backyard solar cinematography. What time intervals are you using? I think your mysterious objects are probably flies or some other insect crawling across the front element. Spiders have left similar trails on some of my night shots. As for the small jitters in the image - they should be fixable in post with image stabilization. There's a pretty good deshaker plugin in the free VirtualDub software.

Hi Col,

Mate, I use a Lunt ST80ST1800 solar telescope and a series of 2000 jpgs of 2 megs apiece, taken at 30 second intervals. Those mysterious whatevers, are not what you think but high flying bugs! Got that confired by a solar imager expert in the US and those jitters was the friggin wind! buffering the scope on the mount.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:30 am