It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:04 am

G'day from Brisbane, Australia 

Post G'day from Brisbane, Australia
Hi everyone, my name is Matt and I'm a timelapse enthusiast here is Australia. I have dabbled in timelapse over the few years I have been into photography but have recently decided to up the ante, invest in some gear and give it a red-hot go.

I shoot with a 5DmkII, range of L series lenses and have recently purchased a Dynamic Perception Stage Zero kit.

I took the kit for a test run last weekend and jumped right into the deep end with a sunset timelapse. While the conditions were not perfect for the scene, i.e. clouds came over right as the stars came out, I think it was a great first go at a motion timelapse. I learned a lot about the post processing process too. Using a combination of Lightroom, LRTimelapse, Photoshop and Premiere Pro I have worked out a bit of a workflow that I'm sure I will build on.

My goal over the next 12 months is to create a timelpase of rural South-East Queensland—to showcase the region I live in. There are some beautiful things to see here and I want to share that with the world.

Here is the lapse I shot last weekend—an old timber farm shed along a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The video contains a URL to a blog I will be launching in the next fortnight for this project.

Thanks for looking!

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Post Re: G'day from Brisbane, Australia
Welcome and I will be following your project as I do mine across the ditch :-)

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Sounds interesting. There a quite a few favourite locations in NSW and Tasmania I'd like to shoot. I've just got to acquire all the gear as I'm a noob.

Make sure you setup a Facebook page and twitter account page associated with your blog. That's the most convenient way to follow a blog these days.

Edit - added following:

matt-chops wrote:
Here is the lapse I shot last weekend—an old timber farm shed along a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The video contains a URL to a blog I will be launching in the next fortnight for this project.

Thanks for looking!

Great sequence. I hope my first results are as good as that! What was your time to setup and then shoot? How long did the processing and editing take?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 pm

flatfoot wrote:
Great sequence. I hope my first results are as good as that! What was your time to setup and then shoot? How long did the processing and editing take?

Thanks mate, the setup time for the rig was about 25-30 mins. I would say next time round it will take about half this time. Yes, it's difficult to setup a rail and two tripods – a little bit fiddly, but the real time consumer is the dolly controller. Once I have used this a few times and really familiarised myself with the menus and settings it should be a lot easier though. I'd recommend watching the videos the DP guys have up on their Vimeo/YouTube accounts, these helped a lot to understand the application of certain settings. Total shooting time was about 2.5 hours.

As for the post processing, I may not necessarily be the best person to ask – without trying to be smug, I'm a Graphic Designer by trade so I use the Adobe apps day-in-day-out and I work pretty quickly (just like I'd never claim to be as good with a hammer as a carpenter). The only program I hadn't used before was LRTimelapse, but that was extremely intuitive to use (having used Lightroom before).

All up from when I started downloading the photos to finishing exporting the timelapse from Premiere Pro was about 3 hours.

The best tip I can give is to plan. Know what you want before you even rock up to the location – know in your mind how you want the finished timelapse to look before you even start. This gives you a clear goal to shoot and post-process.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The main issue for me will be the DSLR skills (having never used one before).

My MacBook is getting a little old and annoyingly slow. I'm going to try these techniques initially. I'm hoping that new retina-display iMacs will be released soon. I might get some adobe software afterwards ( possibly just Lightroom ).

I'm keenly waiting for the kickstarter radian device to be released. I quite like the DP gear as it is relatively portable ( I intend to walk to many of the locations I'd like capture some timelapse ).

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 am