It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 am

I'm NEW and have a few questions! 

Post I'm NEW and have a few questions!
Hi everyone, my names Cameron and I just started doing time-lapses

I've read the FAQ but wanted to ask a few more questions

Just wanted to figure a few things out before I start making more and make more mistakes.

Here is an example of what I have done so far. Any critiques or comments are welcome

ok for this video does the effect I put on the video look good? do you mind the cool to warm white balance change or does it bug you?

1. I am exporting the video at 10fps, what are all of you using?( 12fps/15fps/24pfs? does it matter?

2. In the FAQ it says shoot more than f/8 or WIDE. Is the best f/stop range to shoot at f/2.8 - f/8?
If this is the case I tried doing this and putting Aperture priority on and at f/8 or lower my shutter speed was over 100 which is bad.

3. In my video you can obviously tell that some clips are shorter than others, do you recommend in general a certain amount of frames of a subject or a certain range of one thing? (400-600 frames?) more or less?

Now for starers I am using a Nikon D3s and using Quicktime Pro to put my time-lapse together.

4. The first problem I had immediately was trying to open my photos into quick time from my camera. I shot in Jpeg on Shutter priority.
But when I went with the original .jpg file from the camera and tried to open it in quicktime the video would not show up it was just all black and I really couldn't figure out why.
It didn't work until I Imported all my photos into Lightroom then exported them back onto the desktop then the files finally showed up in Quicktime.
Anyone have any idea why this was happening?

5. My question about lightroom if someone does edit files in LR then export them to jpgs how large should the file be? 1000x1000? larger/smaller?

6. I'm pretty sure I have flickering in my video any advice on what I can do to fix that, is that due to my settings?(shutter priority)

7. If I want in my final video different parts of the video to have a different FPS is there anyway to do this? a reference example that I mean is like in Tom's learning to fly video(the part with the surfers) The fps looks almost as if it was time-lapse DSLR mixed with video.

hope this was enough information and this all made sense, thanks in advance!

8. Oh also is there anything I can do to improve the exposure on my clouds in the first scene on my video?

9. For basic stills for post work, what are some things you do?

thanks in advance!

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 am
Post Re: I'm NEW and have a few questions!
Cameron Gardner wrote:
1. I am exporting the video at 10fps, what are all of you using?( 12fps/15fps/24pfs? does it matter?

usually 23.976, yes it matters! you can get strange effects and studdering with odd framerates.

Cameron Gardner wrote:
2. In the FAQ it says shoot more than f/8 or WIDE. Is the best f/stop range to shoot at f/2.8 - f/8?
If this is the case I tried doing this and putting Aperture priority on and at f/8 or lower my shutter speed was over 100 which is bad.

That's not an absolute rule. It's a suggestion to minimize aperture flicker. Remember there's always ND filters to slow your shutter speed too. ;)

Cameron Gardner wrote:
3. In my video you can obviously tell that some clips are shorter than others, do you recommend in general a certain amount of frames of a subject or a certain range of one thing? (400-600 frames?) more or less?

that's about right. 240-480 frames makes 10-20 seconds of video

Cameron Gardner wrote:
5. My question about lightroom if someone does edit files in LR then export them to jpgs how large should the file be? 1000x1000? larger/smaller?

Depends on the goals of your project but 1920x1080 is 'standard HD'

Cameron Gardner wrote:
6. I'm pretty sure I have flickering in my video any advice on what I can do to fix that, is that due to my settings?(shutter priority)

Yes, you said you read the FAQ... ;) The easiest way to get flicker free footage is to shoot manual.

Cameron Gardner wrote:
7. If I want in my final video different parts of the video to have a different FPS is there anyway to do this? a reference example that I mean is like in Tom's learning to fly video(the part with the surfers) The fps looks almost as if it was time-lapse DSLR mixed with video.

When you capture footage at different frame rates you get different effects. So 1fps is 'undercrank' or timelapse whereas 60fps is 'overcrank' or slowmotion. 24 is in general 'realtime'. Study up on film techniques and frame-rates. ;)

Cameron Gardner wrote:
8. Oh also is there anything I can do to improve the exposure on my clouds in the first scene on my video?

Work on controlling your exposure... The problem your having is 'dynamic range'; the camera can't always capture all of it (thus the popularity of HDR which does). If your clouds are washed out, pull your exposure down a bit to find a balance. It's called 'zone metering'

Cameron Gardner wrote:
9. For basic stills for post work, what are some things you do?

Work with curves, levels, white balance, hue, saturation, channels, highlight compression, shadow recovery, etc.

thanks in advance![/quote]

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:22 am

I like the feeling of 10 fps, it is like those really old movies from 1920. Colors are nice too!

http://vimeo.com/user4368833

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:23 am

thanks for the response!

So if I start shooting on full manual rather than shutter/aperture priority I will get less flicker.

But what do you if you are in an environment such as slight overcast with the sun coming in and out of the clouds or night to day?

If you set your exposure for when it was more cloudy wouldn't the sun coming in and out of the clouds screw up the exposure and still cause flicker?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 am
oscarbrost wrote:
I like the feeling of 10 fps, it is like those really old movies from 1920. Colors are nice too!

True, That is a cool spinoff of dropping the framerate in post.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:15 pm
Cameron Gardner wrote:
thanks for the response!

So if I start shooting on full manual rather than shutter/aperture priority I will get less flicker.

But what do you if you are in an environment such as slight overcast with the sun coming in and out of the clouds or night to day?

If you set your exposure for when it was more cloudy wouldn't the sun coming in and out of the clouds screw up the exposure and still cause flicker?

Timelapse can be challenging with drastically changing light or lots of dynamic range. Maybe look into the bramper. It's a great solution to these problems you're bringing up.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:17 pm