It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 pm

MX2 Known Issues 
Post MX2 Known Issues
I'll start this out by talking about 0.82, which is currently in trunk ('latest dev version' link on openmoco.org), the following reported or discovered issues are fixed:

* Fixed issue where merlin head would not move at appropriate speed in pulsing/cont. mode (introduced in 0.82) [Critical]
* Fixed issue where merlin head would resume speed at full speed after manual move, and speed not modified afterwards (int. 0.8) [Critical]
* Fixed issue where merlin head would not pay attention to post exposure delay (int. 0.82) [High]
* Fixed issue where merlin head would not move in the correct direction if direction not changed after power-up (int 0.8) [High]
* Fixed issue where max shots parameter would not function in pulsing mode (int. 0.82) [Medium]
* Fixed issue where motor timing and camera timing would occasionally get confused during stop-motion workflow [Medium]
* Fixed issue when using teletrack and dc motors in continuous motion, camera would not fire [Critical]
* Fixed issue where using interleaved motion with teletrack, if no post-exposure delay was set, teletrack would not move [Low]

I'm going to try and get 0.82 ready for production by this weekend, let me know if you find any other issues. Please let me know what version of the firmware you are using.

Thanks!

!c

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:09 pm
Post Re: MX2 Known Issues
Lagniappe:

Couple of new features (by request) sneaking into 0.82:

* Ability to set manual control speed for Merlin head (set speed for use in manual control, for those occasions where you just need to slow it down a bit, or a lot)
* Add lead-in and lead-out frames to DC motor axes. (motion doesn't start until x-frames have occurred, motion stops before lead-out frames when max shots set)

Other issues:

* I know there has been some jankiness to the buttons from time to time, so I'm working on improving their response as well (i.e. no mystery taps or double-taps)

If you have any other issues, let me know - I'm trying to get 0.82 out ASAP.

!c

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi, running Trunk - 0.82 with Merlin Acuter head.

Set to run continuous, with 48 shot feather and max shot set to 480.

Run 1 - Cart travel from Right to Left. Merlin head set to (R)ight. Head rotation ok.

Run 2 - Cart travel from Left to Right. Merlin head set to (L)eft. Head rotation jerky**.

For Run 2 there was no power down, just entered Scope menu set R to L, back to Main menu to reset cart speed, then Run.

** jerky. Head rotated every 4 camera shots as though the Head move was being stored then moved 4 times its set distance.

Edit: Camera interval 2 Secs: exposure 1/20 sec. Cart 2 ins/min. Scope pan angle 5 degrees

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:44 am
Mike, I'll see if I can replicate that issue, and therefore try and fix it.

As of today, the current dev version (trunk) has everything mentioned fixed above, with the following changes:

* Better button performance (no/fewer ghost hits, faster scrolling when held)
* Support for lead-in/lead-out frame counts (set in axis x menu, requires ramp value for axis to be >= 1, lead-out requires max shots set)
* fixed max shots application that was not working with certain parameters in 0.82
* set manual merlin speed (0-1000 deg/min, set in Menu->Scope)

!c

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:37 am

shutterdrone wrote:
Mike, I'll see if I can replicate that issue, and therefore try and fix it.

As of today, the current dev version (trunk) has everything mentioned fixed above, with the following changes:

* Better button performance (no/fewer ghost hits, faster scrolling when held)
* Support for lead-in/lead-out frame counts (set in axis x menu, requires ramp value for axis to be >= 1, lead-out requires max shots set)
* fixed max shots application that was not working with certain parameters in 0.82
* set manual merlin speed (0-1000 deg/min, set in Menu->Scope)

!c

Hi Chris,
I will load the latest Trunk version tomorrow, time permitting and re-test. Good that button problem is improved, makes objective testing difficult as one is unsure if it is a programme glitch or "normal" button operation.
I did a run today and the minimum speed I could set to get any Cart movement was 1.81 ipm (actual measured 0.625 ipm), workshop was at -1 C so it may have been the gearbox grease ? causing problem. I did not hang around long enough to investigate. I will wear a coat tomorrow and carry out a calibration / up the pulse length before lighting the wood burner and re-run ;)

Thanks for the feedback MikeA.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi, Chris, loaded ).82 trunk (download yesterday), compiled and loaded to MX2 ok.

1) Button press is much improved.

2) Continuous mode, set Scope to 3 degrees, set Cart to 1.09 ipm. - Set camera on, but it reset to off and speed reset to zero. Every third press of of On/Off button would trigger the camera.

3) Set Scope to 0 degrees, set Cart to 1.09 ipm. set Camera on and it fired as one would expect but Cart speed reset to zero. I let camera fire for 60 shots as ramp is set for 48 shots, speed remained at zero.

All above setting were for a run so are not specific associated to the problem. I also had trigger problem with version 0.81. Ok with revision version of Trunk (0.82).

As an aside I find the calibration run difficult to carry out from a practical point of view, even with a vernier calliper parallax problems when reading measurements make it awkward to determine the smaller measurements.

I have just seen a post that a production issue of 0.82 is available, I will load this later and try some more runs this afternoon, workshop temp. is now a t a balmy 20 C :-)

Best regards MikeA.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:12 am

Hi, Chris, loaded Production 0.82:

Problems as in last post above.

I did not bother with setting up Scope. Set Cart speed and triggered camera, Cart speed reverts to zero and stays at zero. Reset speed on the fly and as soon as
the camera triggered the Cart speed reset to zero.

Now the GOOD news. If your documentation state a RESET then I apologise for not reading it.

I reset the MX2 and the above now works as it should, I suspect that if I had reset the MX2 after loading the software as in the above post then I would not have seen those problems with Trunk 0.82.

Off to re-run retest with Scope attached.

Best regards MikeA.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:13 am
MikeA wrote:

I did not bother with setting up Scope. Set Cart speed and triggered camera, Cart speed reverts to zero and stays at zero. Reset speed on the fly and as soon as

Now the GOOD news. If your documentation state a RESET then I apologise for not reading it.

I reset the MX2 and the above now works as it should, I suspect that if I had reset the MX2 after loading the software as in the above post then I would not have seen those problems with Trunk 0.82.

Best regards MikeA.

D'oh, err, yes, it was documented as essential, just in the wrong documentation section! :(

I've added it to the firmware page as well. What was likely happening was that the lead-in and out settings were defaulting to 16^2, as unused EEPROM is set to 1's by default. Memory reset turns them back to zero...

!c

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:18 am

shutterdrone wrote:
MikeA wrote:

Best regards MikeA.

Hi, I am still having problems but our last post crossed so I have taken out the edits I have just made and will check those values as although I carried out a RESET I am not sure it worked correctly, noticed camera interval did not set to zero.

Will be in touch after further investigation.

MikeA.

D'oh, err, yes, it was documented as essential, just in the wrong documentation section! :(

I've added it to the firmware page as well. What was likely happening was that the lead-in and out settings were defaulting to 16^2, as unused EEPROM is set to 1's by default. Memory reset turns them back to zero...

!c

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:25 am

Hi, Chris, back again.

Scope head - Acuter Merlin.

1) Carried out a fresh Production 0.82 upload, immediately did a reset and powered off. Assume camera interval default is 1 second.
2) Checked scope batteries and verified it pans via the hand control, all ok.
3) Connected Scope, Motor and Camera to MX2 and powered up Scope, Camera then MX2.
4) MX2 - set Scope to ON.
Test 1.
1) Set motor speed greater than zero - camera to 2 sec interval.
2) Set on/ off to ON
3) Cart moves and camera fires as it should.
Test 2.
1) settings as above.
2) Scope pan value set greater than zero
3)Set on / off ON - display reverts to OFF. I think motor moved ?
4) Repeated 3) - same result.
5) repeated 4) - motor may have moved - camera fired.
** in steps 3) to 5) motor may have moved with each button press or just once in the sequence, if significant I can recheck tomorrow.
Test 3.
1) As per test 2) but Scope set to 30+ degrees to check movement - NO movement.
Test 4.
Set scope pan to zero - Normal operation as per Test 1.
* It would appear that setting Scope Pan to any value greater than zero sets the shooting mode to Manual SMS.
Test 5.
1. Scope to manual mode - NO movement.

Test of Lead-In / Lead-Out
1.) Setting as per Test 1. above.
2) Lead-In 48, Lead-Out 48, Max shot 480.
3) On/Off set to On - Cart moved at the set speed - No ramping.
I assume this is new Feather / Ramp facility?

Best regards MikeA.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:53 am
MikeA wrote:
Hi, Chris, back again.

Scope head - Acuter Merlin.

3)Set on / off ON - display reverts to OFF. I think motor moved ?
4) Repeated 3) - same result.
5) repeated 4) - motor may have moved - camera fired.

* It would appear that setting Scope Pan to any value greater than zero sets the shooting mode to Manual SMS.

Ok, this turned out to be a timing issue, as to how it was missed in testing -- I changed the button handling code last, and ran only through button tests - not a full scope test suite. The problem was that it was caching values b/c the scope serial commands took longer than 2 input refresh cycles. Latest commit fixes this (and updating hex image since it has hardly been downloaded).

I have updated the testing procedure to test all scope control when changing button handling code, to prevent this from happening in the future.

MikeA wrote:
Test 5.

I can't seem to replicate this? Followed all steps, and I can't get the scope head manual to not work?

MikeA wrote:
Test of Lead-In / Lead-Out
1.) Setting as per Test 1. above.
2) Lead-In 48, Lead-Out 48, Max shot 480.
3) On/Off set to On - Cart moved at the set speed - No ramping.
I assume this is new Feather / Ramp facility?

Yes, but you need ramp set to >= 1 for lead-in to work, see: http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page ... age_id=268 (I updated the doc page yesterday). It uses the ramp function to execute the lead-in frames, and generally one would want a nice ramp when start mid-video. If a ramp is not desired, set it to 1, which would effectively increase the lead-in/out by 1 frame.

Thanks,
Chris

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Chris:
Quote:
Ok, this turned out to be a timing issue, as to how it was missed in testing -- I changed the button handling code last, and ran only through button tests - not a full scope test suite. The problem was that it was caching values b/c the scope serial commands took longer than 2 input refresh cycles. Latest commit fixes this (and updating hex image since it has hardly been downloaded).

I have updated the testing procedure to test all scope control when changing button handling code, to prevent this from happening in the future.

Software updated: Continuous mode working fine now.

Quote:
MikeA wrote:
Test 5.

I can't seem to replicate this? Followed all steps, and I can't get the scope head manual to not work?

Assumed that because MX2 did not freeze and Scope had worked in previous software iteration that Scope and cable connection must be ok.
Problem traced to the TRS plug, the type I used appears to have been too short and was not giving "correct" contact. Replaced plug and now ok.
"1.5mm difference" I did not have access to US phone type lead and used a metal 2.1mm plug from local supplier.

Quote:
Yes, but you need ramp set to >= 1 for lead-in to work, see: http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page ... age_id=268 (I updated the doc page yesterday). It uses the ramp function to execute the lead-in frames, and generally one would want a nice ramp when start mid-video. If a ramp is not desired, set it to 1, which would effectively increase the lead-in/out by 1 frame.

Senior moment :oops: Missed Ramp and went straight to lead-in menu item and set that as Ramp-in and Ramp-out. Now set correctly and working fine.

Thanks for you help. Now to connect two 6 ft tracks together
MikeA

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:05 am

Seasonal greetings to you and family Chris.

Software version 082.

It looks like the "special mode" for low continuous mode is not working.
Cart minimum speed in continuous mode appears to be around 0.75 ipm even when set to 0.12 ipm.

When set to 1.09 ipm the speed appears to be ok.

Unit calibrated and following found.
Display distance Actual Right Actual Left
0.31 0.25 0.25
0.12 0.84 0.80
3.63 2.32 2.19

RPM default 8.75 Pulse default 20

Distance / per rev. default 3.53. Actual measured is 3.375

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:22 am
MikeA wrote:

Cart minimum speed in continuous mode appears to be around 0.75 ipm even when set to 0.12 ipm.

Is the first statement related to the second? The default minimum speed to go into "special mode" is 20 IPM, so anything below 20IPM is "special mode" in continuous motion.

Do you mean to say, that you can't get it going 0.12 ipm? Was this before or after the calibration? (The cal you indicated later in the message, once applied, should have adjusted it. You found it to have moved 0.84" when moving 0.12", did you try again after calibrating?)

You say that pulse value is set to 20, did you mean Min. Pulse, or Slow Mode IPM? The default Min Pulse should be 125, whereas the Slow Mode IPM default is 20.0.

MikeA wrote:

How was that measured? The PD of the pulley should be 3.53 (which is larger than the circumference of the pulley, as the belt has to be taken into account).

!c

Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

MikeA wrote:

Quote:
Is the first statement related to the second? The default minimum speed to go into "special mode" is 20 IPM, so anything below 20IPM is "special mode" in continuous motion.

If the special mode is as high as 20IPM we can ignore my first statement I was assuming it kicked in at bottom end of speed say around 1 IPM.

Quote:
Do you mean to say, that you can't get it going 0.12 ipm? Was this before or after the calibration?

Unable to get cart to move slower than 0.75 IPM after calibration. Before calibration from another run over 38" it was .81 IPM, the reason I carried out the calibration., I can set speed at any speed lower than 0.75 and it will move at 0.75 IPM minimum.

(The cal you indicated later in the message, once applied, should have adjusted it. You found it to have moved 0.84" when moving 0.12", did you try again after calibrating?)
The calibrate message (MX2 display) says the cart should have moved 0.12" it actually moved 0.84", that is the value I input during calibration. Recalibrating shows same message 0.12" and the cart moves 0.84".
** I have also carried out a system reset and power down prior to the last calibration to ensure MX2 was as per "factory settings".

Quote:
You say that pulse value is set to 20, did you mean Min. Pulse, or Slow Mode IPM? The default Min Pulse should be 125, whereas the Slow Mode IPM default is 20.0.

Slow mode IPM mentioned just for reference ie. not changed. The default Min Pulse should be 125, Unknown have not changed or checked.

MikeA wrote:

Quote:
How was that measured? The PD of the pulley should be 3.53 (which is larger than the circumference of the pulley, as the belt has to be taken into account).

Measured linear Cart movement for 1 Rev of pulley.

If you require further clarification or want me to carry out any more checks with specific criteria applied please let me know.

MikeA.

PS unit appears to work ok in SMS modes.
The default Min Pulse is set to 125.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Ok,

I found the issue with very slow speeds not working properly after calibration, and fixed it. There has been some concern too about how little control the calibration gives you, and how it ends up being wrong for many other speeds. So, I added two capabilities: the ability to specify which two speeds to use for calibration (settings->Cal. Spd. Low and Hi), and how the result of calibration is applied.

The motors tend to behave non-linearly, so the Calibration Constant allows you to modify how the calibration is applied to "tune it in" for a specific speed. That is to say, at 16% duty cycle it moves 2x as fast as at 13% duty cycle - making it hard for the calibration routine to actually determine the right speed. So, instead of just applying a difference, another weight is added to that difference. You decrease the weight when it over-compensates (goes too slow) or increase when it under-compensates (goes too fast) at a particular speed after calibration. Just let it run for a minute (max shots = 60, interval = 1) and adjust the parameter until the desired speed is reached.

Usually, you'd just set this once for your most common speed, and then adjust it whenever you go a very different speed. But, if you like, it can be used to dial-in a specific speed after calibration when you need more accuracy for a shot. This parameter can be set for each motor, and is accessed in Axis x->Cal. Constant. The default is 0.69.

It's in the lastest dev repo in subversion, and is labeled '0.83'.. Always make sure to reset to factory settings after installing new firmware :D

Sum Up:
* 0.12 IPM is definitely working after calibration (but if its a little off, use the calibration constant to adjust it)
* Can set low and hi calibration speeds (covers calibration steps 3-6, low must always be lower than hi!) Settings->Cal. Spd. Lo/Hi
* Can adjust how calibration is applied to dial-in a specific speed (Axis x->Cal. Constant)

!c

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi, Chris, thanks for the info, I will hopefully download new software and apply sometime today.

Best regards MikeA.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:05 am
Since there have been a number of issues related to not resetting to factory defaults after loading a new firmware, the step is no longer needed:

* Added feature to automatically reset saved memory when a new version of the firmware is loaded

=)

!c

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 am

shutterdrone wrote:
Since there have been a number of issues related to not resetting to factory defaults after loading a new firmware, the step is no longer needed:

* Added feature to automatically reset saved memory when a new version of the firmware is loaded

=)

!c

Good idea to let the software programme take the strain ;)

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 am

Hi, Chris, just started working on getting cart to run at a speed I require and have run into a few problems.

Loaded 0.83.

1. Settings from previous version have reset ok. ( from 0.82 to 0.83)
2. Un-calibrated 4 IPM runs at 8+ IPM with cart speed a bit erratic. (Tomorrow I will make a video and post)
3. Reset does not appear to work if all user values should go to default values. Eg. Speed stays at last value, camera max shots stay at last value...
4. Minimum speed for manual is 19.9 IPM anything lower and cart does not move.

* I will be trying the "Calibrate" value later to see what effect this has on speed.

Best regards MikeA.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 am
MikeA wrote:
Hi, Chris, just started working on getting cart to run at a speed I require and have run into a few problems.

Loaded 0.83.

1. Settings from previous version have reset ok. ( from 0.82 to 0.83)
2. Un-calibrated 4 IPM runs at 8+ IPM with cart speed a bit erratic. (Tomorrow I will make a video and post)
3. Reset does not appear to work if all user values should go to default values. Eg. Speed stays at last value, camera max shots stay at last value...
4. Minimum speed for manual is 19.9 IPM anything lower and cart does not move.

* I will be trying the "Calibrate" value later to see what effect this has on speed.

Best regards MikeA.

2: This is expected, it will never run at an exact speed over a short period of time, the speed is anticipated over an "infinitely long period of time" (remember that DC motors do not behave linearly and can vary their behavior over time), should not be exceptionally erratic however. Remember to use both the calibration and the calibration constant when you calibrate.

3: Remember to power cycle after re-setting memory. It won't do anything until you power-down and power back up the device. This is documented here: http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page ... age_id=280

4: That's documented in the manual control documentation. I'm just going to remove all speed control from manual control, since everyone keeps trying to report it as a bug =) http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page ... age_id=248

!c

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 am

Quote:
2: This is expected, it will never run at an exact speed over a short period of time, the speed is anticipated over an "infinitely long period of time" (remember that DC motors do not behave linearly and can vary their behavior over time), should not be exceptionally erratic however. Remember to use both the calibration and the calibration constant when you calibrate.

3: Remember to power cycle after re-setting memory. It won't do anything until you power-down and power back up the device. This is documented here: http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page ... age_id=280

4: That's documented in the manual control documentation. I'm just going to remove all speed control from manual control, since everyone keeps trying to report it as a bug =) http://dynamicperception.com/?main_page ... age_id=248

!c

Hi, Chris, your reply was too quick, just realised I did not do a power cycle after re-set, that really screws things up, in this case making the motor drive quite erratic and also causing differing travel distances depending on L or R selected.
Will start my testing from scratch :(

Good idea to remove speed control, a default to the highest setting would be useful.

Best regards MikeA

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Chris

I been having trouble updating the firmware.
I have the latest java, installed the the port drivers and downloaded the latest uploader.
Attached is a screen shot of the error message I get when trying to upload.

I'm on windows 7

Cheers,

Carlos

Attachments:
mx2.jpg
mx2.jpg [ 147.29 KiB | Viewed 13809 times ]

http://vimeo.com/grury
Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 am
You're using a folder called "new folder" (with a space)... Try re-naming that folder to something like "MX2-Uploader" or "new-folder" (without any spaces).

Let me know if that works...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 am

:oops: yep that was the problem.

Thanks!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 am
Ok, got three more reported issues:

* On some units the button bouncing is far worse than others
* The following combination would cause the motor speed to be set to a random (not really*) value when turning the program off:
* Interleaved mode (fixed or otherwise)
* Speed configured > 2.55 IPM in fixed SMS mode
* Motor #2 moves opposite direction of Motor #1

All of these have been fixed in the current dev version. Additionally, I have limited the lowest speed in manual control mode to the configured "Slow Mode IPM", which will prevent more tickets coming in saying that manual control doesn't work (but will open up a new set of tickets about not being able to set it lower than 19.99 IPM in manual control =)

* - there was a casting error in the motor_control() function that casted the speed as a byte, instead of an unsigned int - resulting in wrap around for values over 255, which 2.55" is 255 1/10 of an inch increments =)

!c

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I've noticed several times while testing the dolly, there seems to be a random drop in frames not being fired by the camera.
I was doing a straight forward test, using Camera in Av mode, time interval 5sec, 1sec delay and the camera speed was around 1/10.
For the 1st 100 frames or so it was ok, then it started dropping frames more and more often, it got to the point that every 3rd or 4th frame wouldnt trigger. Without stoping the MX2 I turned the Camera to M mode and then to Av again, it solved the problem.

EDIT: Setting the tap focus to 100ms seem to have fixed the problem. I had the lens disengaged so I assumed that the tap focus wouldnt be working.
Although is still strange that it was dropping those frames as there wasnt any massive changes in shutter speed, which could make a difference.

Cheers.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:23 am
It appears your camera adjusted it's exposure to the point where the interval (5sec) was colliding with it. Make sense?

If you want to shoot Av, you need to set the exposure time on the MX2 to what you predict the longest exposure might be. Then leave a little time in-between for your Camera Buffer and the motor.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 am

It does make sense, but it was quite strange, as I was indoors, so no much changing in light, shutter speed was around 1/10 , 1/15, and the time interval set to 5 sec. Also strange that turning to M mode and back to Av fixed the problem.
Anyway, after using the tap feature, I shot well over 2000 frames without any drops, so all good.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:50 am
I do know if you use live view you have to set the focus tap to like 150ms...

Sounds like you found the solution though. :-)

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:16 am

Thank

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 am