It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Recommended Pan Head Speed 

Post Recommended Pan Head Speed
This is my first post on the forum. I have been experimenting with simple timelapse for a few years. This year I plan to ramp up my involvement into the foray of timelapse. I'm in the planning stages for a pan head that I can add to my tripod. What is the smallest rotational resolution I should aim for in my design? I've searched a bit in the forums, a value of 0.05 degrees/shot seems feasible with my design. Will that be slow enough for all applications? My intended applications will be star-scapes, landscapes and urban. I can always increase my speed if required.

Here was my first attempt at timelapse a while back.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Post Re: Recommended Pan Head Speed
Slowest speed normally needed is 1x sidereal (.25 deg /min) for shots that track the sun or stars.
For normal day to day stuff I find between 4x~8x the most practical or 1~2 deg per minute, although faster is occasionally useful. Really depends on the subject matter.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Post Re: Recommended Pan Head Speed
Thanks,

I'll be controlling the pan head with a stepper, so with a .05 degree step, I'll be able to take 5 shots a minute to have sidereal motion. This will be fine for stars, but if i want to track the sun, 5 a minute may leave me too long an interval. I'll see what I can do for speed range, but I think I should aim for something closer to .025 degrees/step. Thanks for the information on faster pan speeds, I'll take that into account when I select my stepper and driver combo.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm