It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 am

New Celestron AllView (due out ~now) 

Post New Celestron AllView (due out ~now)
Any beta on these yet?

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php ... ProdID=742

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:34 am

Post Re: New Celestron AllView (due out ~now)
Looks decent, would be interesting to have a look at one up close.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:33 pm

The site says it was supposed to ship last month. No link to online sales and no price info.

Called Celestron, the tech told me that the product is still getting some feature enhanments and might not be available for another 2 to 3 months (November 2011?) and that the price might be slightly more that the $159 Skywatcher which is still available while supplies last (the skywatcher is discontinuned and this mount is it's potential replacement).

The Tech said he's seen the mount and says it is larger then the skywatcher and has a much improved mounting bracket over the dove tail L bracket on the skywatcher. He believes the mount will not come with a scope and is being marketed for the panoramic and astronomy photographers. I mentioned us motion time lapsers and he sounded interested in what we are doing with the skywatcher.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 am

Yea, I know... the info kinda sucks.

I would luv to have a self-contained pano head that's NOT a gigapan or that requires an external computer.

It looks a bit beefier than the SkyWatcher/Merlin, so I hope the ability to mount more than one camera will be possible.

I was hoping someone had some other info, or they saw it at CES.

skyml wrote:
The site says it was supposed to ship last month. No link to online sales and no price info. Might Call Celestron on this one.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:05 am

Called Celestron, the tech told me that the product is still getting some feature enhanments and might not be available for another 2 to 3 months (November 2011?) and then the price might be slightly more that the $159 Skywatcher which is still available while supplies last (the skywatcher is discontinuned and this mount is it's potential replacement).

The Tech said he's seen the mount and says it is larger then the skywatcher and has a much improved mounting bracket over the dove tail L bracket on the skywatcher. He believes the mount will not come with a scope and is being marketed for the panoramic and astronomy photographers. I mentioned us motion time lapsers and he sounded interested in what we are doing with the skywatcher.

BerthaDUniverse wrote:

I would luv to have a self-contained pano head that's NOT a gigapan or that requires an external computer.

It looks a bit beefier than the SkyWatcher/Merlin, so I hope the ability to mount more than one camera will be possible.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:49 am

Excellent work there, thanks for the beta!

That is way cheaper than I expected, as the Gigapan Pro is something like a grand. I just ordered an 90m, but I am sure I can eBay it after this one proves itself... I'll let the rocket scientists like Milapse get it working first, as I hope to use it with my DP-Zero rails.

Thanks so much your time!
BDU

skyml wrote:
Called Celestron, the tech told me that the product is still getting some feature enhanments and might not be available for another 2 to 3 months (November 2011?) and then the price might be slightly more that the $159 Skywatcher which is still available while supplies last (the skywatcher is discontinuned and this mount is it's potential replacement).

BerthaDUniverse wrote:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:08 pm

On the support page it states that the head can not be removed from the tripod. I know it will probably be possible to hack it apart, but it would have been nice to not have to go down that route.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Are you serious? They're going to discontinue the Merlin???? Is there some conspiracy to discontinue any product that gets used for some other purpose? Maybe they expect the prices to go up as desperate people bid against each other to get the last ones? Should I be trying to get a spare before they're all gone?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:57 am

sciencelookers, good morning.

I went to buy my SkyWatcher last week and they (Celestron) were the only place I could find in the US that had them, and Europe didn't look much better.

As Scorchio pointed out, this new model is attached to the tripod, I guess, permanently. After reading about skyml's call, I wrote their tech support to mention that for our community, that would be a very BAD thing, asking that they reconsider how the unit would actually be used with an overall length of ~4'.

As I understand it, the price point is close to the SkyWatcher, but who knows, it's not even on the market yet. Let's just hope it is little more than a beefed up Skywatcher with controls that will be the same.

sciencelookers wrote:
Are you serious? They're going to discontinue the Merlin???? Is there some conspiracy to discontinue any product that gets used for some other purpose? Maybe they expect the prices to go up as desperate people bid against each other to get the last ones? Should I be trying to get a spare before they're all gone?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:53 am

Looks like a remake of the original multifunction/merlin mount heads, with some good ideas thrown it. It has the Skywatcher Synscan hand controller with it. Wish it was available now, I'd snap one up. Looks very handy having the vertical arm that rotates 180 deg. Perfect for attaching a small scope to it.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 am

Any more news on this?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Dear Mark ,

Thank you for contacting Celestron Technical Services.Our Allview mount should be out by the end of January 2012. Please check the website for price and other offers. It will have a standard telescope tripod.

Thank you,

Celestron Tech Support

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks Mark... Looks like they are still being "hazy" on the whole detachable mount thing... I for one don't look forward to having the extra height and weight after the legs are removed.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:39 am

Looks like they're still being flaky and strangely quiet on a ship date. Not much help, but I did find this PDF file and this year-old video and photos.

Chris

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Ok... I don't see this as good news for us here, but according to Celestrons Website the new All View mount is available for sale this March (http://www.celestron.com/portal/skywatc ... mount.html) at a whooping $399.

The mount DOES NOT detach from the tripod? Website says "Motorized head detaches for use with most prosumertripods using 3/8” thread" but FAQ says it DOES NOT detach from tripod :? Manual says nothing.

It does connect to a computer via a cable from the attached hand controller. It DOES have a built in panoramic and time lapse mode in the hand controller. It looks bigger and heavier (manual states 9 lbs) then the Merlin that has been discontinued.

Not sure about it's ability to interface with the MX2. There is a manual online to cover setup and use details (the manual looks like a draft copy).

The time lapse mode looks interesting thought the hand controller interface might be a bit confusing. Basically set the mount to the start point, move it to the end point, set the interval and exposure info and let it go - least that's how I read it.

Many mounting options for the camera. Comes with a cable for Canon EOS Rebel camera (?)

Anyone willing to risk the cash to test this out - am sure many are curious to see your results.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Looks beefy, at 21 lbs I won't be hiking with it. If it really does the job, and can be mounted on other tripods, $399- wouldn't be a bad price.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Yea, I am surprised at the price pop. On the other hand, if it will do what a Gigapan will do, it is less than half the price (~$400 vs ~$900). I am still looking for some spherical output from the thing before I put it on my wish list. Sadly, this thing weighs twice as much...with the legs. Without????

I have a Merlin/Backpacker and still cannot find an easy way for it to do sphericals... Everything I've seen is from Europe, and just for the adapter, its ~$130 plus shipping plus it requires a computer of some sort to configure.

As to the tripod, I am sure with their legs, I could adapt a lightweight aluminum plate to get rid of those steel goal posts their using.

If anyone finds a link to some posted output, please pass it on.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:08 pm

BerthaDUniverse wrote:
I have a Merlin/Backpacker and still cannot find an easy way for it to do sphericals... Everything I've seen is from Europe, and just for the adapter, its ~$130 plus shipping plus it requires a computer of some sort to configure.

If anyone finds a link to some posted output, please pass it on.

Spherical panos you mean? I've used my merlin for about a year and a half for doing sperical pans and virutal tours. I use papywizard on my laptop or on a palmtop. I also use a bluetooth adapter I got for $85, works great.

Here is a sample showing the merlin for sperical panos:
http://vimeo.com/25802060

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VZ7rCkjLV0

To stitch the images together I use Kolor Autopano giga.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Found this at High Point Scientific via Amazon. I checked and confirmed that it's really in stock. Ordered tonight.

My interest is for panoramic use, but I'll pass on anything of interest that I find. I was originally looking at the Merlin setup, but having an all-in-one unit rather than using a laptop, M2, etc made it worth the extra cost to me.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Mount can be easily removed from the tripod and has both center-thread and 3/Y mounts. I need to measure the center thread size/turns.

Attachments:
allview2.jpg
allview2.jpg [ 121.27 KiB | Viewed 12099 times ]
allview1.jpg
allview1.jpg [ 89.43 KiB | Viewed 12099 times ]
Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Can you show us more photos of the mount.... I'd like to see how big it is compaired to my Merlin and am also curious to see how it works. ;)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Ballpark, the mount is about the same size as the Merlin, but feels a bit more substantial. I'll try to get some more photos up tonight.

Quick-n-dirty video at: http://youtu.be/L9Ecwva-iCY

The mount can be easily separated from the telescope with 3 thumbscrews and also has a standard 3/8" tripod mount.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 am

So, tonight came a bit early...

Attachments:
allview5.jpg
allview5.jpg [ 84.74 KiB | Viewed 11649 times ]
allview4.jpg
allview4.jpg [ 72.9 KiB | Viewed 11649 times ]
allview3.jpg
allview3.jpg [ 98.13 KiB | Viewed 11649 times ]
Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:11 am

Hooray for being a bleeding-edge tester of new products. I have a case opened with Celestron. Somewhere between 100 and 400 images causes an overflow or some other error condition within the hand controller and it goes off into la-la land. It will miscalculate the number of images needed and delay a long/arbitrary time between slewing and shooting.

They originally wanted me to send the whole thing back(!!) but I did additional testing and found the edge condition causing the problem. Let's see how they respond this time...

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Anyone tried using either papywizard or the MX2 with this thing yet?

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 am

Celestron has confirmed "The Product Engineers did find this as firmware limitation. They are investigating to see if this can be fixed in future firmware update. "

If I don't get a strong indication that this will be fixed in a few days, I'll be returning it. :(

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:38 pm

It looks like papywizard will work with it as a Merlin/Orion. I was able to get papwizard to manually move the head, but it kept crashing on me on a Windows-7 box before I could actually get it to run a pano.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:55 am

rojhan wrote:
It looks like papywizard will work with it as a Merlin/Orion. I was able to get papwizard to manually move the head, but it kept crashing on me on a Windows-7 box before I could actually get it to run a pano.

Interesting, was this with a wired hookup or wireless with Bluetooth? Have you had a chance to try it with the MX2?

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:19 am

Wired through a PL2303 USB/Serial adapter. I don't have an MX2.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49 pm

rojhan wrote:
Wired through a PL2303 USB/Serial adapter. I don't have an MX2.

Ok, Thanks.... Chris over at Dynamic Perception is getting this mount soon and will do some testing. But the error with Win 7 64 brought some concern to him. Being able to control this head with an external controller like papywizard or the MX2 improves it's functionality.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 pm

What advantage do you see with Papwizard vs the hand controller (if it was working properly)?

The ability of not requiring an external device was the key reason I decided to look at the Allview. I had the Merlin briefly, but it sagged with about 7-8lbs of weight on the mount so I returned it.

Other than over 2x price being a deal breaker on the GigaPan, I've seen quite a few reviews were people aren't happy with the quality of the tripod mount.

One of these days I'll find a $200 pano mount that has stepper motors, worm gear, and a 20lb payload capacity. :lol:

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:11 pm

rojhan wrote:
What advantage do you see with Papwizard vs the hand controller (if it was working properly)?

The ability of not requiring an external device was the key reason I decided to look at the Allview. I had the Merlin briefly, but it sagged with about 7-8lbs of weight on the mount so I returned it.

Other than over 2x price being a deal breaker on the GigaPan, I've seen quite a few reviews were people aren't happy with the quality of the tripod mount.

One of these days I'll find a $200 pano mount that has stepper motors, worm gear, and a 20lb payload capacity. :lol:

I can't speak in the hand controller for the Allview since I haven't seen one in use but I feel papywizard is great because it has a intuitave GUI interface, allows complex customization of both the mount movements and camera control (exposure bracketing, standard intervalometer, mirror lockup, etc), works for panoramics from 360 degree to 360x180 (perfect for mini globes and virtual tours), works for multi point time lapse via custom html generated xmp file (a simple web based interface for writting pan and tilt azimuths over multiple points) and, as far as I know (haven't tried it yet), it works for gigapixel photos. I live that I can control the mount wirelessly and that the mount will fire the camera for me thru this wireless interface. Papywizard also has the ability to save xmp files that easily import into Kolor's Autopano Giga software for comeplex panoramic stitching - the Merlin, Papywizard and Autopano Giga work extremley well together (www.kolor.com).

Now, Papywizard is free and that is another plus for me. :D

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:26 pm

The Allview controller allows you to specify corners and camera FoV either by manual entry or by pointing the head. You can also set "settle" time and exposure (shutter) time.

It also has a timelapse (start/end location, duration, and number of shots) and video coursing (start/end location and duration) mode. No exposure bracketing though.

Once the firmware is fixed to allow > ~100 images, I think I'll be happy. Once you add netbook + serial/USB or bluetooth, etc. for a Merlin setup the $400 price point becomes comparable.

I might even be able to do HDR/exposure bracketing using camera controls (3x shots in exposure bracketing mode), but I haven't looked into that.

On the other hand, Celestron needs to get some movement on the new firmware before I end up saying, "Well.. nice try. I'm sending it back."

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Does the head itself weigh 21lbs ? I read somewhere it's only 9lbs. Thx.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:36 pm

skyml: If I set the camera to bracket and burst/multi-shot, I can bracket each shot as long as the shutter is held down long enough. Let's see... 120 degrees x 40 degrees with 3 degrees horizontal and 4 degrees vertical on the lens plus overlap is 600 images... x 3 = 1800... :twisted:

Dan: The mount + camera bracket is 9.5lbs. The tripod is 6.5lbs.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 pm

I got Papywizard running on a different machine and it handles both move and shoot setup as Merlin/Orion.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Hm... For everybody that has Merlin/Orion, I wonder if the Allview hand controller would work on them...

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Celestron sent me new firmware to test. I'll try flashing tonight.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 am

Bah.. The USB/Serial converter I've had forever doesn't work with Windows-7, so no joy tonight.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi rojhan!

I've been going through almost the exact same senario as you in regards to this AllView Mount. I received mine last Wednesday and began posting photos, videos and my overall thoughts over on the Kolor Forums. Just 2 days ago I descovered the issue with the controller not being able to handle large amounts of photos in a single panorama, and figured I was shit out of luck. I contacted Celestron today about the issue but the "expert" was not in and won't be able to help me until Monday. Do you think you could provide a link to the firmware you received and I'll try it out? This is very exciting because I though I was the only person who'd actually purchased this thing. Let me know and I'll give you my email to shoot that firmware over. I look forward to chatting with you about this mount! :D

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:27 pm