It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:47 am

John here... 

Post John here...
Hey there,

My name is John and I've been into photography for a few years and have been bitten by the time lapse bug. A few weeks ago I did some work on a tug boat and the following week mistakingly let the midnight dew kill my 550D as I shot the stars at night. Whoops! I'm up and running with another camera and ready to really get after it and learn what I can from you guys.

I drive a big truck six days a week between Portland, Seattle and Billings, MT and find it hard to stop the truck when "on the clock" but when I do it is usually worth it. When not behind the wheel I enjoy shooting birds and at night, but not both at the same time :shock:

I've been active on various internet forums for a couple decades now and mostly lurk, so if ya see me pop up, it's usually for a good reason. ;)

Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Post Re: John here...
JohnRussellPhoto wrote:
Hey there,

My name is John and I've been into photography for a few years and have been bitten by the time lapse bug. A few weeks ago I did some work on a tug boat and the following week mistakingly let the midnight dew kill my 550D as I shot the stars at night. Whoops! I'm up and running with another camera and ready to really get after it and learn what I can from you guys.

I drive a big truck six days a week between Portland, Seattle and Billings, MT and find it hard to stop the truck when "on the clock" but when I do it is usually worth it. When not behind the wheel I enjoy shooting birds and at night, but not both at the same time :shock:

I've been active on various internet forums for a couple decades now and mostly lurk, so if ya see me pop up, it's usually for a good reason. ;)

awesome bro!! my dad is also a 18 wheeler driver... he drives from So Cali to New York.. I've been along with him and have brought my camera and tripod and everything along with me.. I know exactly how you feel there bro.. theres plently of time I wanted my pop to stop during the night (but his on the clock.. so no stop son) so i can do some timealapse of the beautiful milkyway.... *sigh...

But maybe you can do a Drivelapse while you trucking it... it'll be awesome..

Sat May 26, 2012 12:32 am

One thing people don't seem to understand is just how much room a big truck needs to just park, and how stable the ground needs to be.

But the real problem for me is that once I start my logbook at the beginning of the day I have this mental block that just prevents me from stopping the truck if I don't really have to. Even though I run the same route every week, I am constantly worried that I will be late :?

What I really love is that as long as I do my job safely, legally and am on-time, then no one cares what else I do out there. At my last 9-5 type gig my boss sat in a window and overlooked my all day, I'll never do that again!

I think a time lapse of me battling the afternoon Seattle traffic would be eye opening for a lot people.

Sat May 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I did some testing of shooting a timelapse while driving this week and the biggest issue is keeping the camera steady. Even with the tripod securely placed, and lots of bungees holding it in place, and even one on the camera itself, the camera still moves quite a bit. More work needs to be done...

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:39 pm

You might try something like this: http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-in-car-windshield-camera-mount.html

I realize that you might need a different configuration for the vertical windshield in many big rigs, but this is a good start. They seem to make a good, solid product. There are similar, related products from the same vendor that might work for you. Good luck!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:06 pm