It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 pm

MX2 freezes with Merlin Skywatcher - Help please! 

Post MX2 freezes with Merlin Skywatcher - Help please!
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I've tried my new Skywatcher Merlin head with the MX2 at home. Although it was somehow difficult (maybe my mistake, I don't know) finally I ended up been able to put it working well with the MX2.

Today I went for the country to use it in real conditions but, frustration, I can't put it to work again with the MX2. When I try to access the Manual Motion or alter anyting inside the Second Main Screen, the MX2 simply freezes and I have to do a new power cycle. I'm not able to put the Merling moving anymore. I've already enable the Scope Menu to ON.

I've tried to use the Hand Control that comes with the head and it moves well, so I guess it's not a problem of the head itself.
Since I'm new with the use of the Merlin, maybe it's my mistake, but I've tried everything that comes to my mind regarding the order of connecting things without any luck so far.

Please help me!!!!!

Thanks a lot!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 am

Post Re: MX2 freezes with Merlin Skywatcher - Help please!
Can't be too sure here from what you are saying but be sure you are doing this:

Make sure everything is connected correctly and turned OFF! Then turn on the Merlin first (very important). Next, turn on the MX2. Then try to manually move it and see what happens. If the power on order is wrong then the MX2 will freeze up.

Let us know what happens. If nothing works then give us more specific details.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi Mike and all the others forum members,

Mike, thanks for your help.

Although I'm sure that I've tried that exactly same sequence, I've just test it again and it works great! BUT...have tried a second time (between the two times I have changed the cable ends in the cable that connects the MX2 to the DP adapter (the extremity that was connect to the MX2 was connected to the Dynamic Perception adapter and vice-versa) and the second time it doesn't work!!!!

Now I'm not able to make it work again, no matter what cable end is connect to what device. It simply doesn't work again!!! :-(
Firmware version in the MX2 is the 0,90, but since it has worked once, I guess thats not a problem with the firmware.

I have used another cable from MX2 to the Dynamic Perception adapter and it don't work either. Have tried to power the Merlin with batteries and its the same thing. With the hand-control of the Merlin it moves, with the MX2 it doesn't!

The red LED in the DP adapter is on, so I guess it is ok, but since I've already tried another power source and another cable between the MX2 and the adapter, the only thing that I can't test is the Dynamic Perception adapter (I suppose that the small "phone" cable is ok). So maybe there is something wrong with the adapter, although it is brand new! But I only have one so I can't change it to try. Is there a way to make sure it is ok?

I really don't understand!

Cheers,

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 pm

If it doesn't work at all, re-test it with the Merlin hand controller and see what it does. If the hand controller still moves the head then you're still good.

Another thing to be sure of is that the cables are plugged in fully - sometimes the cable may not seat competley when plugging into the MX2 or the Merlin adapter? Also make sure you plug the cable into the "HC" port (the left one looking at it) on the Merlin and the "ext0" port on the MX2.

Next thing would be to "Reset" the MX2 and then redo the menu options and try again.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Yes, the Merlin is ok, it works well with the hand controller. No doubt that the cable is plugged in fully, both at the MX2 side and at the adapter side. And also yes, I'm using the right ports (HC in the Merlin and ext0 at the MX2).

I've just made a Reset Mem. ON (followed by a new power cycle) and still nothing! The Merlin doesn't respond to the MX2 :-(

Are there any other MX2 parameters that should be watched (besides the Scope ON)? Any other ideas that can solve this annoying problem?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I wouldn't thank this would be the case, but the next thing I would check is all cables and the Merlin Adapter. I doubt the MX2 is at fault and cables can go bad much easier. If the head is working with the Hand Controller then we know the head is good. Is I/O 1 set to disable by chance and scope set to enable "ON?"

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Since I've already tested another communication cable, I'm assuming that the problem isn't there
Yes, so far, I think that the problem maybe in the adapter or the small peace of cable between it and the Merlin.

Yes, Scope Enable On and I/O 1 Disable (but, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that I/O 1 and 2 are only for the ext1 line (they are the point and the ring of the connector that is used in ext1 (i.e. stop switch). ext0 doesn't have any kind of configuration inside the MX2 firmware (right?).

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Rui Guerra wrote:
...the small peace of cable between it and the Merlin.

...but, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that I/O 1 and 2 are only for the ext1 line (they are the point and the ring of the connector that is used in ext1 (i.e. stop switch). ext0 doesn't have any kind of configuration inside the MX2 firmware (right?).

Definatley try another cable between the adapter and the Merlin.

Yes, I/O 1 and 2 are for ext 1 (one is for tip and the other for ring) but was just throughing stuff out there to try.

So, with everything hooked up and all settings correct on MX2 to include scope enabled, when you go to manual control/scope and press any direction button once and release the scope does not move? Remember, press and release to start movement and press and release to stop movement.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm

If the MX2 freezes when attempting to control the Merlin, the problem lies between the MX2 and the Merlin adapter. The MX2 will -not- freeze if connected to the Merlin adapter fully, even if no telescope head is attached. Check to ensure that the blue cover around the adapter is not interfering with the TRS connection.

!c

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:13 am

Sorry friends, I was traveling back home with no internet connection.

So back to the problem: Now that I'm at home, I've tested the cable between the MX2 and the DP adapter with a multimeter, and all three contacts (tip, middle and back ring) are OK, even if I twist the cable (although one end doesn't seam to be in good shape, as you can see in the attached pictures - that's how it was when I received the package - it's working OK).

Here is a detailed sequence of what I did to try to make it work:
1 - Connect one end of the Y power cable to the "DC 12 V IN" in the Merlin.
2 - Connect the other end of the Y cable to the MX2.
3 - Connect the commun end of the Y cable to the battery.
4 - Connect the one end of the "phone" cable to the "HC" port of the Merlin
5 - Connect the other end of the "phone" cable to the DP adapter
6 - Connect one end of the TRS cable to the adapter
7 - Connect the other end of the TRS cable to the MX2
8 - Power on the Merlin (although it is not receiving any power from the battery, that is still off).
9 - Power on the battery (that will give simultaneous power to the Merlin and to the MX2
10 - Verifying that the red LED in the DP adapter is steady ON (ok)
11 - Through the main menu of the MX2, gone to the Settings>Scope>on
12 - Through the Main menu of the MX2, gone to Manual Move>Scope and tried to press and release each of the buttons without any movement!
13 - Tried to quit Scope Manual Move by pressing Enter, without success :-( MX2 is freezed!

Yes, the TRS connections (both sides) are fully inside the ports (adapter and MX2). The blue cover of the DP adapter is not interfering.

Since Shutterdone sad that the MX2 will not freeze if no telescope head is attached, that means that the problem is also not in the small "phone" cable between the adapter and the Merlin. And since the TRS cable was tested with a multimeter and it is ok, the only thing left that can be causing the problem is the DP adapter, right?

Is there a way that I can test the adapter?
I've brought it and the Merlin to "Kids Of All Ages" (Germany), so they are a little bit far away to check the adapter...

Any suggestions?

What is strange for me is that it worked 3 times, between the failures and now it doesn't work at all!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,

Attachments:
OddCable_20120818_164423.jpg
OddCable_20120818_164423.jpg [ 98.32 KiB | Viewed 9998 times ]
Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:35 am

Do you have another TRS cable to test with?

That cable does not look good at all.

!c

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:42 pm

I only have a small one that came with the head (I think it was meant to be used to connect a camera to the head. I've tried but the result is the same.

Yes, at start I thought the problem was the TRS cable, but after test the continuity of it's 3 wires with a muitimeter, it looks like it is ok, so my next assumption is a faulty Merlin adapter.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Rui Guerra wrote:
I only have a small one that came with the head (I think it was meant to be used to connect a camera to the head. I've tried but the result is the same.

Yes, at start I thought the problem was the TRS cable, but after test the continuity of it's 3 wires with a muitimeter, it looks like it is ok, so my next assumption is a faulty Merlin adapter.

You sure it's not a problem with contact at the MX2? I.e. interference with the enclosure preventing the cable from going all of the way in? There are only two components on the MAK1 involved in this process, two resistors which are verified here before they are sold. But, if you want to verify it yourself, plug the TRS cable into the MAK1, and measure the resistance between Tip and Ring. If it runs around 200-400 Ohm, the MAK1 is fine, and the problem is at the connection to the MX2.

!c

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:05 am

I have done that and it doesn't measured anything! Like an open circuit!
I heve tested again the TRS cable and all 3 contacts are ok.

So it seams it is a MAK's problem.

What else can I do?

Thanks!

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 am

That's pretty interesting - the only thing left to check is that the TRS cable is going all the way into the MAK, and not being blocked by the shielding around the adapter. Also ensure that the TRS cable is inserted fully - I note that on those jacks, there's a bit of friction for the last section of the plug going in. If all of those have been met, and it's still not working - send an email to support@dynamicperception.. with your address and we'll send you a replacement.

!c

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:04 am

Yes, I've checked several times the the TRS plugs are fully and completely inserted. No doubt about that.

Best,

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:12 am

Hi all,

I have received a new MAK tested it and now everything is working very well, as it should. So, case closed.

Thanks to all that tried to help me on this, especially to Kids Of All Ages and Dynamic Perception for the very good customer support.
Now, back to work :-)

All the best,

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:38 am

Hi,

I had the same problem i think 11/2year ago and dynamic perception sent me another Merlin adaptor and there was still the same problem so now a year and a half later i decided to give it another go.

I plugged the trs cable into the merlin adapter to check ohms and it was reading 431ohms on both adapters they sent.

Can anyone help with this issue.

Thanks

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:58 pm