It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 am

Lens + Camera combo to mimic Full-Frame DSLR 

Post Lens + Camera combo to mimic Full-Frame DSLR
Hi there. I'm pretty new to this, and I'm deciding which will be my first DSLR. My main intentions are to shoot the sky, so it would be very nice to have a Full-Frame DSLR, but even the cheap ones are out of my budget. I was, then, looking for some info about using the Nikon D90 and the D5100 for this kind of photos, but couldn't find any direct and useful information about lenses to be used and constraints that I'd have with this equipment (at least not useful information in newbie language haha).

So I'm here, asking for you guys who know a lot more, to indicate me where to search for information, give tips, and even suggestions of other equipment (camera's and especially lenses) inside the budget given by a D90.

Also, should I go with the ones that come with lenses, or buy the body only models?
Many thanks

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 am

Post Re: Lens + Camera combo to mimic Full-Frame DSLR
Narrowed it do D90, D5100, t3i or t4i. Any other suggestions? Any comments regarding these four, aiming at versatility, but also astrophotography and time-lapse? Thanks again

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

There is a learning curve involved in the techniques to achieving good astro-photographs. As with everything else in life, there ARE NO SHORTCUTS. Use whatever camera you have, and take pics. Determine what about them you would like to improve, and READ. You will eventually understand what about your camera is limiting your photos, and that can steer you to making purchases to reduce those limitations. Take more pics, and repeat until you have no more money, or are satisfied with your pics.

Work your way up the ladder, like everyone else. It will take some effort, time, thinking, and reading, but you can do it.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 am

I've been astroshooting in Chile with my D90 and the Tokina 11-16/2.8 Last year. I was amazed by the pictures, although more infrared-sensitivity would have made for more stunning pictures. I guess Canons do a better Job in that respect.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 am

Thank you both for your answers. I already bought three books: Understanding Exposure, Digital SLR Astrophotography, and one other that overview the basics of photography in general. While I wait them to come, I'm reading "Time-Lapse photography, A complete introduction". So for studying material I'm already on the go,

But I'm trying to decide which camera to buy because I do not have one! I liked very much DigiSnapMark's analogy of the learning curve, but I can't start right away, so, with the money I have, I'm trying do find out the best choice for a start. (And am now inclined to the D5100 or t4i, for the reviews I read)

Thanks again!

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 pm

I had a canon T3i for a few months then got the 60D. I suggest skipping the entry level Canon cameras.
If you're willing to be patient and know how to deal hunt you can get camera gear "affordably".

I got my 60D for $420 US used... it was in good condition too!

Nikon D7000 is a also a good option. Should be able to get one for $600 used or less if you are really lucky.

Current gen Nikon vs Canon: Nikon has more DR and better shadow recovery (useful for night scenes!) BUT those with sony sensors heat up a lot, and I've read that people have problems with hot pixels on long exposures (over 1 sec). My Canon 60D has less DR but to be honest I like it and I don't have the hot pixel problem, so I have no problem doing long exposures. Or maybe I just haven't looked closely enough at my photos! However, if your final output is a video timelapse at 1080p... you will not see the hot pixels from Nikon, so maybe it's a non-issue.

Wide lenses you have several choices (prices are used prices, aps-c):
Sigma 10-20mm ($350?)
Sigma 8-16mm ($500?)
Canon 10-22mm ($700?)
Nikon 12-24mm ($700?)

Sigma 8-16mm is a good one if you get a good copy. I had to send mine in because parts of it were blurry. Besides that it is an awesome lens and I love it!
Can't beat going that wide! Only negative is: no filters can be fitted without paying $$$$$$ and largest aperture is 4.5

If you must use a filter, check the Canon or Nikon. The Sigma 10-20 is ok but not as sharp in the corners.

The other thing you will need is a good tripod and ball head. Budget ok setup will cost another $400 and up. Pro setups cost about $1K+ for tripod and ball head.

It depends on how much you want to get into it... better tripod set up means better stability. You can still take photos with a crappy tripod but some shots will not be as sharp because of movement. I thought this was all stupid before, until I started taking photos. Now I understand... Tripod is really important (and ballhead).

No good one source to learn all this, just keep looking for stuff on google, you will come across many reviews, blogs, and forum threads on the gear you are interested in. Keep reading and you will learn a lot!

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm

scotchtape, thank you very much, you have helped a lot. I was not considering used cameras, but now that you said it, seems like a good option. How did you get yours? Are there trustable sites for buying used ones online? Thanks again

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:08 am

carlosbgois wrote:
Narrowed it do D90, D5100, t3i or t4i. Any other suggestions? Any comments regarding these four, aiming at versatility, but also astrophotography and time-lapse? Thanks again

I can't help you with the Canon stuff, but I can with the Nikon.

If you're going to do any video, and you're looking at the Nikon camp, I'd skip the D90. I'd also skip the D90 and D5100 for the fact they only shoot 12Bit RAW, but that's just me (which makes a big difference in shadow noise - how much of a difference it'll make for astro, I don't know as I don't shoot it).

If you're bothered about video and not 14Bit RAW, go for the D3200.
If you want killer video and 14Bit RAW, go for the D5200.
If you want limited video settings (24p only) but with good shadow detail and 14Bit RAW, get a used D7000.
If you're not bothered about video at all and want 14Bit RAW, get a used D300/D300s (honestly, a used D300 isn't that much more than a used D90 these days and it's a far more versatile camera - for all intents and purposes, it's identical to the D300s, but with no video - although the D300s video is bad enough that it might as well not be there at all - and you lose the SD card slot, and the D300s is still Nikon's only pro level crop body).

If you're only ever going to be using AF-S lenses (lenses that have a built in AF motor) or manual focus lenses, get the D3200 or D5200.

If you're going to be using AF lenses that don't have a built in AF motor, and you actually want to be able to utilise that autofocus, get hte D7000/D300/D300s.

The major difference between a crop body and a full frame body is that you get more depth of field at a given aperture & field of view than you would on a full frame (because on a full frame, you have to shoot a longer lens to get the same field of view).

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 am

What country are you in?

I get the feeling you are not from North America.

If you are in NA - the best places are eBay and Craigslist.
If you have no experience with online shopping, make sure you don't get scammed.
I have had 99% good experiences but have lost some money here and there :(
Live and learn! Set a firm budget and don't get into a bidding war :)

You can also try amazon, bh and adorama (I think they all sell used stuff too).
If you are not in this part of the world, I don't know... maybe someone else can chime in? Newspapers?
I'm sure every country has a local buy and sell...

The thing with buying used is there is no warranty (from private sellers), however I find that if the camera was taken care of and is in good condition, it will probably last.
And if not, it's luck of the draw.... plenty of new electronics die just when the warranty ends...

Good luck!

Definitely get 60D (or wait for new 70D - rumored!) or at least D7000.
Better noise pattern and more features. That's if you're into photography, if you don't care that much, entry level is fine.
Again, if your output is 1080p you are cropping 3x anyways.
If you get Canon, you can load magic lantern for built-in intervalometer. It also has a not that great but sometimes it works well auto bulb ramping feature.
I think intervalometers are built in for Nikon cameras.
You can get cheap intervalometers on eBay for like $20.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:02 am

scotchtape wrote:
Again, if your output is 1080p you are cropping 3x anyways.

Aye, well, scaling. That's the main reason I suggested still taking a good hard look at the D300/D300s. Sure, it's "only" 12MP, which isn't massive by today's standards, but compared to 1080p (2MP), it's still pretty huge.

But, it has that 14Bit RAW advantage for shadow detail. Whichever side you go for, Nikon or Canon, not having 14Bit RAW would be a dealbreaker for me personally.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:07 am