It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Sunset Stadium Game Lapse - Any Advice? 

Post Sunset Stadium Game Lapse - Any Advice?
Hello! Later this week I'm doing a timelapse of a football game from empty stands through the end of the game. It's a 7 pm kickoff, so the sun will set behind the stands during the game while the stadium lights stay on. The stands will also be full of people. So I'm wondering what the best way to tackle this would be. Exposures will vary from the fans to the field to the sky going from light to dark. I'd assume HDR would handle this perfectly, but with people in the stands and on the field constantly moving would there murderous ghosting?

What would you do? I'm going to shoot a test in the empty stadium tonight just to get a feel for my options - I'll probably shoot a couple cameras with different settings. I'd love to know what you'd suggest. Thanks so much!

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 am

Post Re: Sunset Stadium Game Lapse - Any Advice?
i would suggest using gbtimelapse to bulb ramp the sun setting and the stadium lights illuminating. or alternatively, download magic lantern for free and you can use their bulb ramping software built right into your camera!

hope i helped,

david

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:32 pm

might be best ramping it manually, and fixing in post. Check out LRTimelapses tutorial on 'holy grail'

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Awesome suggestion on ramping. However, I'm also talking about differing exposures within the shot. So the field will be bright while the crowd is darker and the sky does its ramping from light to dark as well. Thanks!

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 am

I'm always a bit scared when using Magic Lantern's ramping feature, because it had been unreliable in the past (e.g. suddenly stopping or over-/underexposing). The new ETTR feature seems to work pretty fine though. Have a look at this thread, if interested.

agour wrote:
might be best ramping it manually, and fixing in post. Check out LRTimelapses tutorial on 'holy grail'
With this method I'm always afraid of (unintentionally) moving the camera while changing the settings. Can be avoided by shooting tethered with Canon Utilities etc. of course.

NickCinema wrote:
Awesome suggestion on ramping. However, I'm also talking about differing exposures within the shot. So the field will be bright while the crowd is darker and the sky does its ramping from light to dark as well. Thanks!
If you don't want silhouette-esque pictures, you'd probably be best off shooting HDR. Maybe you can do something with graduated ND filters, but it might not be "adjustable" enough to the different exposed areas in the stadium.

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:34 am

NickCinema wrote:
If you don't want silhouette-esque pictures, you'd probably be best off shooting HDR. Maybe you can do something with graduated ND filters, but it might not be "adjustable" enough to the different exposed areas in the stadium.[/quote]

Thanks, fabians! ND grad won't be an option for me, but HDR seems ideal for covering the exposure. HOWEVER, since the goal is to show people, not a still landscape, in your experience will HDR still look OK and if so, what settings would you recommend? I'm worried about ghosting. Thanks so much!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:23 am

I'm not too experienced with this kind of project, so I don't wanna give you specific settings I'm not sure about. I think, though, that your concerns are not too wrong here. If you are changing positions/angle/focal length during the game, you might be able to capture most scenes except the wide shots of the whole stadium without HDR.
You could use two or more cameras and set them up next to each other, shooting at the same time with different settings. There are a bunch of other difficulties coming with this solution though.

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Sure, I definitely thought about the 2 camera thing. It would hypothetically work well enough. My other thought was to do a 3-5 shot bracket, but instead of HDR just blend areas with masks to avoid the movement problem. Due to time on this one running out I just compromised on my exposure and shot raw - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm excited to improve next round and if I try something like HDR I'll post the results! Thanks again for all of your help!

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 am

Sounds good, glad you got some good results, as it sounds. The mask thing would probably be a lot of work, but maybe it's worth a try next time.. You gonna upload the video somewhere or can it not be viewed publicly?

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:12 am