It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:01 am

Eight Month TL Help 

Post Eight Month TL Help
I've been hired to time lapse of construction for a new military aircraft over an eight month timespan. The client insisted on GoPros, but I'm finding that their interval is restricted to one shot every 60 seconds. This would give over 1400 shots per day for the timespan. I'm looking at shooting a shot every 4 to 6 hours since the project is long-term.

I've been researching and have pretty much decided on buying four refurbished Nikon J1 cameras with power supplies for the duration. Each camera will have a Brinno TL camera as backup. The Brinnos are battery operated and have a year-long life on one set of lithium ion batteries.

Does this sound like it will do the trick and does anyone have any tips for long-term time lapse?

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:42 am

Post Re: Eight Month TL Help
Thanks for all the tips! I leave in three days to put this all together, not a single response or suggestion. So glad to have posted the request for assistance. I wouldn't think twice of helping someone asking for same but I'll continue to pay it forward. :D

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi dazapper,

Sorry no-one has posted a reply, I just happened to be browsing today and saw you post. One of the biggest hurdles in doing a time-lapse of this length is generally budget. How much is your budget and how many angles are you looking for in the shoot?

Regards

Aaron

Also Aussie distributors of eMotimo TB3 motion control head: eMotimo in Australia

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Aaron--

Thanks for the reply and inquiry. I submitted a budget for $3000 and will likely go over which is not a big deal for the client. Right now all the equipment is coming in and the client pushed the install days back till this coming Monday and Tuesday. There will be 9 cameras total at five stations surrounding the making of a new helicopter. Each station will have a Nikon J1 with an APC battery backup, and each camera will be backed-up by a Brinno battery powered TL camera. Each camera will be mounted on a Cartolini and grip head. Finally, as a last-minute add, we're going to place a Brinno on the ceiling pointed down at the factory floor. Everything on the J1 will be compiled in post, the Brinno compiles in the camera. It's a cool project but I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants since I've never done anything this long before. I'll know how it all works in about 9 months.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:12 am

The batteries in your Brinno will be dead in three or four months at best. You won't have this problem indoors, but they're not really weatherproof either. I bought two dozen with high hopes of doing seasons timelapse, changing batteries once a year. Even the industrial batteries ran out in a few months. Weather killed all but five in a year.

Rig them with external battery packs on a trickle charger, sort of like a UPS for them.

Excellent decision to run the Nikons on external power backed up by UPS

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm

So after doing the research, deciding what cameras to place then ordering all the equipment, the project head decides to scrap the TL two days before I was to leave for the location. Now I'm repacking everything and tracking down return information to three suppliers. Some days I simply wish this job were easier, like maybe being a garbageman.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:59 am

Thats bad luck dazapper, hopefully in the future you will score another long term gig. We have just released our photosentinel 'lite' camera systems which would be good for this sort of project, uses a Nikon point and shoot, fully solar powered, uploads images to your dropbox / website gallery and remote configurability.

All the best,

Aaron

Also Aussie distributors of eMotimo TB3 motion control head: eMotimo in Australia

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Aaron--

It's a small world, especially those of us in TL. I've been communicating regularly with Brian Burling (though we've never met--completely different coasts) at Emotimo and have been using the TB3 extensively for American network TV shows. I see you guys are distributing for him in AU. I also have found your website and product to be of interest, though the project that just went away was indoors, the battery backup would have helped. Maybe next time.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:24 pm

We think the Emotimo is a fantastic unit dazapper, adds a lot of power to your time-lapse and video! If you would like to talk about long-term systems we are more than happy to have a chat, maybe private message me and we could arrange a catchup when we are over to the USA next? Aaron

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:20 pm