It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:36 am

Frankenslider! 

Post Frankenslider!

Hi all

I recently embarked on building my own slider, which was to be powered by an Arduino Uno and a DC motor "pulsing" for SMS but using the intervalometer I already have. All about timing! :)

So after much messing about with different ideas, none of the DIY rails really worked, they were either heavy and/or unstable, or just downright rubbish! God knows how much time and money I spent on it….

So I admitted defeat and allowed someone to buy me a 1m video slider from eBay…it is a copy of an Igus rail with a small carridge running on plastic inserts. Actually very smooth, more so that I thought. As I knew I wanted to motorise it, I set about getting the few parts needed. I already had the belt and 5T wheels, Arduino etc. I then drilled two small holes in the carridge, and larger one in the plate and bolted that to it, with the tripod thread through the bigger hole. The motor was then mounted to the actual carridge rather than the rail, with the belt tensioned around some bolts (for now!)

The motor is attached to the shield via a 3m long coiled cable, which leads to the control box. This is an aluminium box with removable slides and top. The arduino and sheild are in here, as is a 7.2v, 3300mAh RC car battery to power the motor. The arduino is powered by a 9v battery.

At the moment, the rail is smooth and runs a sketch which has the carridge still for 4 secs, then moves for 0.25 sec. This gives me nearly 35 mins to travel the entire length of the rail. It is smooth and adds a lovely motion to timelapse vids. The rail has holes predrilled for standard 3/8" and 1/2" threads so takes light stands or tripods.

I am however, having an issue with the Arduino sketch. So hopefully someone can help me out here as I am very new to coding etc. There are several sketches I have that have different times for motion etc. This is where the issue starts! I have an Adafruit 16x2 LCD, which runs only on the two i2c pins (A4 & A5.) I can get power to both using a protoshield, however am massively struggling with writing a menu sketch for the lots to run together. I have spent the last few months doing it, and not got very far to be honest!! In the end, all I want is there to be several "presets" written into the code i.e differing times for motion, such as 30sec pause on the motion, 2 sec move for night time shoots. As I'm at work at the moment, I'll post the codes later. If anyone can help me out, that would be awesome! Please excuse the poor messy floor!

I'm a mainly landscape kinda guy who's trying something new!!

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:56 am

Post Re: Frankenslider!
not as bad as my fathers garage :o
i built my own too :-) however giving in and buying something commercial isn't an option for me. mines kinda sturdy but not very pretty lol
have you had a look at the http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage there's a bunch of example code sketches there or even asking a question in the forums there ?
for a menu driven sketch i think a case or switch statement may be the easiest.
let us know how you get on.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:28 am

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I wasn't going to get one but it kinda got to the point that I was spending too much on parts lol

I did post a few times on the arduino forum but if I'm totally honest, found the few people I did encounter on there quite rude and unhelpful!

Think you are right about the case statements, I've got those running but it seems the button presses want to cause me an issue now! Haha!

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:11 am

Just released I forgot to post the code I said about! Typical Xmas being busy.!

I did however, manage to get out and test the slider properly on boxing day. The result....

Short clip in a stream: http://youtu.be/IC2jo0jLiJ0

Hope all had a great Xmas holiday! :)

Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 pm

justjay wrote:
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I wasn't going to get one but it kinda got to the point that I was spending too much on parts lol

I did post a few times on the arduino forum but if I'm totally honest, found the few people I did encounter on there quite rude and unhelpful!

Think you are right about the case statements, I've got those running but it seems the button presses want to cause me an issue now! Haha!

well to be honest that was how i found the the arduino cc forum as well glad it wasn't just me :o i put it down to my poorly formatted question and lack of knowledge. i do wonder why people jump down someones throat for asking a question . do you debounce your button presses ? that may have something to do with it perhaps .however thats the only thing i can think of.
my slider is in bits at the moment i keep changing things now added some switches for end stops just need to solder some wires now and play with the code but my brother arrived for the holidays so i have been procrastinating my little heart out while playing with a gopro 4
once i get it moving again i intend to start working on how to rotate the head.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:01 am

The video of the stream looks really nice. The slider is obviously working well. The only thing i can suggest about the slider itself is about the bolts that redirect the belt from straight alongside the track to going around the timing pulley on the motor. Those are sometimes called idlers. The threaded bolts you have there are working, which kind of surprises me. Normally I recommend that people use shoulder bolts which are stronger in several ways. The shoulder sits against whatever the bolt is anchored into and spreads the load out so your less likely to bend the material the bolt is anchored into. The rest of the shoulder bolt is polished smooth so the belt can rub past something smooth instead of the sharp threads of the bolt. I like to put a bit of teflon tubing over the shoulder bolt to serve as a roller so the belt moves over the roller instead of dragging on the bolt. Then there is a washer at the end of the bolt just like you have to prevent the belt from walking off the end. An even better arrangement is to have bearings run on the bolt and the belt carried past the bolt by the bearing. If it keeps running reliably for you the way it is, no problem. But if you do find the idler bolts are bending, there are easy fixes. There is some discussion about this in the thread about Chardie's dolly.

You can get shoulder bolts and other useful stuff for building dollies and anything else at mcmaster.com

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 am

your right sl on close inspection you would have to think that thread is going to be a bit severe on the belt. time will tell i guess. two washers and a bearing would fix it and may even allow the pulley to engage a couple more teeth on the belt as well perhaps.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:45 am

chardie wrote:
well to be honest that was how i found the the arduino cc forum as well glad it wasn't just me :o i put it down to my poorly formatted question and lack of knowledge. i do wonder why people jump down someones throat for asking a question . do you debounce your button presses ? that may have something to do with it perhaps .however thats the only thing i can think of.
my slider is in bits at the moment i keep changing things now added some switches for end stops just need to solder some wires now and play with the code but my brother arrived for the holidays so i have been procrastinating my little heart out while playing with a gopro 4
once i get it moving again i intend to start working on how to rotate the head.

Nope, definitely not just you! I put it down to the same but two of us just can't be a coincidence....lol I agree though, It was pretty pathetic imo. Ah well :)

I do, the LCD i have debounces internally for me (result!) Since my last reply, I have got some where with it now, well the code at least. I'll post it below for info. I'm getting the thing compiling and uploading with no errors, and the LCD works with the prints and button presses, but now I'm not getting full power to the motor shield it seems! It's never ending! lol Speaking to a guy on the adafruit forum (very very helpful and patient I might add!) mentioned the pins need to be enabled on the H-Bridge in the right order to stop shoot through....and thats where he lost me! So no end of googling tonight hasn't helped me yet....

Ah how is the GoPro 4? I have the 3 and love it. Can't wait to get back out off roading with the mountain bike with it!!

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm

sciencelookers wrote:
The video of the stream looks really nice. The slider is obviously working well. The only thing i can suggest about the slider itself is about the bolts that redirect the belt from straight alongside the track to going around the timing pulley on the motor. Those are sometimes called idlers. The threaded bolts you have there are working, which kind of surprises me. Normally I recommend that people use shoulder bolts which are stronger in several ways. The shoulder sits against whatever the bolt is anchored into and spreads the load out so your less likely to bend the material the bolt is anchored into. The rest of the shoulder bolt is polished smooth so the belt can rub past something smooth instead of the sharp threads of the bolt. I like to put a bit of teflon tubing over the shoulder bolt to serve as a roller so the belt moves over the roller instead of dragging on the bolt. Then there is a washer at the end of the bolt just like you have to prevent the belt from walking off the end. An even better arrangement is to have bearings run on the bolt and the belt carried past the bolt by the bearing. If it keeps running reliably for you the way it is, no problem. But if you do find the idler bolts are bending, there are easy fixes. There is some discussion about this in the thread about Chardie's dolly.

You can get shoulder bolts and other useful stuff for building dollies and anything else at mcmaster.com

Hey Sciencelookers! Thanks mate, I was pretty happy with it to be honest. It is actually, I just want a bit more flexibility with it now, hence the LCD & presets. This is another I took last week on it http://youtu.be/Z98lw2ydKqM

Cheers for the info on the shoulder bolts, the threaded was all I had to hand and have been meaning to get some or similar, but been too lazy! :lol: I also considered the bearing thing but again I'll put my hands up to being lazy on that too! (And I actually have loads of new skate bearings!)

Now you have mentioned it, I'll look into some shoulder bolts soon as they might help the slider out like Chardie mentioned, more teeth etc.

Thanks again for your feedback and help :)

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:48 pm

the way i look at it putting a pulley or idler wheel on your slider would just increase the diameter moving the belt a little closer to you motor pulley. the more belt wrapped around the pulley helps a lot with less slipping. not really a problem on flat surfaces however once you start getting one end of the slider up on a rock and the other on the ground you really don't want it slipping :-) .

i'm thinking the gopro4 maybe the greatest thing since sliced bread :D . i grabbed the base that it came mounted on in the display box turned it up side down sat a 1/4 inch nut in there and filled it up with 2 part epoxy let it sit for a day then took it bush walking with me yesterday got to two places one called queen mary falls and the other odonalleys castle did a short cloud lapse up there much better effort than my first with the gopro . it was $34 for the tripod mount at the shop where i bought it i thought was a bit pricey, seen them on ebay for $10 a much more reasonable price but couldn't wait that long for the postage lol can't post it as some of the local kids have defaced the rock below and i never noticed till halfway through :oops:

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:10 pm

chardie wrote:
the way i look at it putting a pulley or idler wheel on your slider would just increase the diameter moving the belt a little closer to you motor pulley. the more belt wrapped around the pulley helps a lot with less slipping. not really a problem on flat surfaces however once you start getting one end of the slider up on a rock and the other on the ground you really don't want it slipping :-) .

i'm thinking the gopro4 maybe the greatest thing since sliced bread :D . i grabbed the base that it came mounted on in the display box turned it up side down sat a 1/4 inch nut in there and filled it up with 2 part epoxy let it sit for a day then took it bush walking with me yesterday got to two places one called queen mary falls and the other odonalleys castle did a short cloud lapse up there much better effort than my first with the gopro . it was $34 for the tripod mount at the shop where i bought it i thought was a bit pricey, seen them on ebay for $10 a much more reasonable price but couldn't wait that long for the postage lol can't post it as some of the local kids have defaced the rock below and i never noticed till halfway through :oops:

Hey Chardie

Funny you should say that, as I got in from work last night, and saw some spare 14t pulley wheels sat on the desk! So naturally, put them on the bolts to see and it works much smoother now. Not noticably yet but when shooting, I'm sure the difference will be seen. Thinking about redoing the plate though, and moving them slightly closer so it'll be tighter.

Ah I think that about the 3! lol even better as i won it so didn't have to pay! :D

I had a read through your post for your slider mate, but couldn't see any pics where they were meant to be for some reason?

Still having massive issues trying to figure out the power issue to the motor shield at the moment, can't work it out! I'm running 12v (8x AA) to the shield to power the motor alone, plus a 9v to the duino. Nadda. On the plus side, i put the question on the arduino cc forum, and someone actually replied politely! :lol:

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 am

i got flattened by some rare bug which saw me out of work for a year and a half which was when i found these forums and that started the slider build process had a bit of a relapse about when i was thinking of posting the pictures. lots of blood tests, mri scans, xrays got my throat cut open doctors went in to have a look and then i crashed my motobike more time in hospital hehe . not that i am looking for sympathy plenty of people worse off them me. actually did a course for work today a tag and test so i can check that all of the work equipment is safe to use. now suffering extreme brain fade after a day and a half of reading ;) . however i shall try to post some pics tomorrow. pulled my coolpix 950 apart the other day took the inferred filter out and replaced it with clear glass however the glass thickness is the wrong size and i can only do macro shots at the moment lol

your slider looks better i think :D has to be smoother

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:23 am

chardie wrote:
i got flattened by some rare bug which saw me out of work for a year and a half which was when i found these forums and that started the slider build process had a bit of a relapse about when i was thinking of posting the pictures. lots of blood tests, mri scans, xrays got my throat cut open doctors went in to have a look and then i crashed my motobike more time in hospital hehe . not that i am looking for sympathy plenty of people worse off them me. actually did a course for work today a tag and test so i can check that all of the work equipment is safe to use. now suffering extreme brain fade after a day and a half of reading ;) . however i shall try to post some pics tomorrow. pulled my coolpix 950 apart the other day took the inferred filter out and replaced it with clear glass however the glass thickness is the wrong size and i can only do macro shots at the moment lol

your slider looks better i think :D has to be smoother

Not good mate! Sounds like you've been through it some! Km glad I'm not the only person who likes tinkering with things too tho :)

It seems to be, but I mashed my adafruit lcd the other day (fail) so had to change my ideas a little bit...

So ordered an adafruit motor shield and dug out my old rubbish lcd and stepper.....

I found a code and have doctored a little and..... We have movement! :)

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 pm

i only tinker with 12 volts i leave the higher voltages well alone . i let the smoke out of my first h bridge shield and arduino about a month after i got it i nearly cried :oops:

what arduino and shield have you got ?
i have either 12v or 24v wall warts that plug straight in to the arduino when i am close to the house or 12 batteries that screw to the shield terminals. your not missing a jumper setting for the motor enable on the shield or arduino somewhere perhaps ?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:16 am

chardie wrote:
i only tinker with 12 volts i leave the higher voltages well alone . i let the smoke out of my first h bridge shield and arduino about a month after i got it i nearly cried :oops:

what arduino and shield have you got ?
i have either 12v or 24v wall warts that plug straight in to the arduino when i am close to the house or 12 batteries that screw to the shield terminals. your not missing a jumper setting for the motor enable on the shield or arduino somewhere perhaps ?

Mate I am really sorry, just realised I never replied to your post!!!

I'm using an Uno and an Adafruit Motor Shield V2. Been doing a lot of tinkering with this since i last posted, and happy to say it is working well! Had to make a few adjustments and am continuing to add (ok, try and add) some further functionality to the code but hey, it works!! Here's two short clips using it saturday.

https://youtu.be/vmFfyYPV3V0

https://youtu.be/P-b_gAzhLXU

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Ok so here's the finished (almost) control box. Inside is a 7.2v 3000mAh battery which powers the uno and LCD etc. There is a load of wires and a small circuit which triggers the camera when the motor stops. The box connects to the rail via either a small metal plate and velcro ( :) ) if mounted on a tripod, or sits on the floor if floor based etc. All of the cables are threaded through paracord to give it a tidier appearance mainly. All sockets and plugs sit firmly and the limit switches are attached under the carriage.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:13 am

hey thats looking pretty good i like the control box :-) not sure that it can inspire me to do something similar however hehe. i have had a couple of weeks doing an academic course to further my career options and it seems like a lot of bureaucratic nonsense. i get the idea of legality issues and following procedures and covering your own buttocks from a legal point of view but how many times can you write the same thing a different way ? by the time i get home i'm almost a zombie not to mention i'm getting writers cramp and rsi in my fingers :roll: so glad its the weekend may have a look at the slider tomorrow got some more bits from china in the mail. need something to help restore some sanity.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:33 am

Congrats on getting it all together. The controller looks real nice. You should be proud of the project. I hope to see some timelapse shot from it soon. Try to spend at least as much time using it as you spent making it. I have a lot of timelapse to shoot before i reach the hobby-time break-even point.

Chardie, I know what you mean. I blame daytime TV for all my motion control projects. I can't stand Jerry Springer or the news, so i go out in the garage and look for something to do. A decade later, Springer is still on American TV and I'm still in the garage.

For those fortunate enough to live elsewhere, Jerry Springer has this TV show where he brings in people with personal issues to talk their problems through, then he also invites their cheating spouse and the people the spouse had cheated with on the same show. People watch to see them all fight. its like the talk show version of the Roman Colosseum.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:25 pm

sciencelookers wrote:
Congrats on getting it all together. The controller looks real nice. You should be proud of the project. I hope to see some timelapse shot from it soon. Try to spend at least as much time using it as you spent making it. I have a lot of timelapse to shoot before i reach the hobby-time break-even point.

For those fortunate enough to live elsewhere, Jerry Springer has this TV show where he brings in people with personal issues to talk their problems through, then he also invites their cheating spouse and the people the spouse had cheated with on the same show. People watch to see them all fight. its like the talk show version of the Roman Colosseum.

Thanks sciencelookers, I am really happy with it all, just a few more tweaks and it'll be where I want it. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to get out at the moment but can't wait til I can properly try it! Problem is, I've enjoyed playing around with making it lol I have done a couple of test shits with it but it was a touch slow so tweaked it a bit but still smooth and strong enough to pull almost vertically. These are the tests

https://youtu.be/vmFfyYPV3V0

https://youtu.be/P-b_gAzhLXU

Haha we have a similar version of Jerry springer, bloody rubbish!

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:44 pm

you should be be able to get out and about shortly i think seeing as its autumn over here it must be spring over there. it was so hot here on friday couldn't touch the steering wheel or gear stick for more than a sec when i got into my car after lunch.
i don't think our tv networks could be bothered with originality or the costs of producing our own rubbish so they just show the american rubbish instead there are a couple of good shows but their the minority not the majority lol. maybe 2 years ago australia went to digital tv and digital transmission so now all the big networks have 3 channels with the same show at the same time even the ads are synchronized. not sure how thats a win for the consumer :roll:

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:53 am

Jay, don't edit the post. The part about your test shits is hilarious! My Mom used to work for Gimball's department stores as a secretary. It was in the days before computers when letters had to be typed one at a time by hand. They had to send a bunch of letters out to customers informing them that the shirts they ordered were out of stock. One customer sent back the letter he received saying the shit he ordered was not in stock. See how easy it is to do? Spelling checker doesn't catch it because shit is a word.

I guess there is agreement that daytime television contributes to motion control projects. I wonder what people do if they don't do timelapse? The jails here play that crap all day long to the prisoners. So Guantanimo isn't the only place where we torture prisoners.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:20 am

sciencelookers wrote:
Jay, don't edit the post. The part about your test shits is hilarious! My Mom used to work for Gimball's department stores as a secretary. It was in the days before computers when letters had to be typed one at a time by hand. They had to send a bunch of letters out to customers informing them that the shirts they ordered were out of stock. One customer sent back the letter he received saying the shit he ordered was not in stock. See how easy it is to do? Spelling checker doesn't catch it because shit is a word.

I guess there is agreement that daytime television contributes to motion control projects. I wonder what people do if they don't do timelapse? The jails here play that crap all day long to the prisoners. So Guantanimo isn't the only place where we torture prisoners.

Hahaha! OK, i didn't see that! :) In my defence, I'd not long been home from work and was on my phone....lol :)

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:46 am

Sweet project! Love how simple it is...
You think your garage is bad...

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:02 pm

DoryBreaux wrote:
Sweet project! Love how simple it is...
You think your garage is bad...

Thanks Dory! It's been coming along nicely, some changes to the control box since those pictures, managed to reduce it in size! Now running on. A smaller lead acid (1300mAh) so lighter, plus a different motion system :) I'll get some more pics up soon :)

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:18 pm