It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 My home made Rail/Dolly - ongoing project... 

Post Re: My home made Rail/Dolly - ongoing project...
Hey Joshua, i like your handcraftmanship.
What would you say about those 3D printed parts? Do you think these are stable and sturdy?

I use to prefer aluminium for DIY projects, i do sliders and some housings but i am mind opended for new things.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks TokTok

I'd say it's sturdy enough for my own use but I'm not sure that I would sell them to other people like that if I was ever going to. I'm not really planning on that anyway really.
The printed plastic is plenty strong in all honesty, except where I designed 2 end parts of the belt mechanism badly at first. They were under a lot of belt tension and were getting levered when it was on the tripod at a steep angle and eventually broke.
Redesigned them and they've been fine since.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:07 am

well, I had pretty much forgotten about this thread, so its time to kick start it again!.

Ive been revising and revising the dolly design, and now have it to where I want it.
It is simple to mill, simple to assemble, no manual creating of parts and it is really strong.

By accident I made the pan and tilt axis when I was making a stepper motor gearbox mount for the dolly, so Im pretty happy with that.

software is nearly done, just have to finish off this, hopefully, last prototype bit of hardware and we will be set.

This is the Battery Box. Takes 4 Lion 18650 batteries and spits out 14v, 5v and 7.2v

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Nice design. The trolley is nicely compact. Its clever the way you made pockets to hold the nut that serves as axle for the lower wheels.
Threading the side of the pocket for another screw that locks the nut is cool as well. Looks like everything works well.
If I was making this as a prototype to teach me how to make more of them, I would narrow that pocket so the sides of the pocket
prevent the nut from turning or thread the plastic. There are knock-in threaded inserts if you don't like threaded plastic. I use them a lot.
Some have little flanges on one side that hold the insert in if the bolt is screwed in from the side opposite the flange.
Here is a link to some.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-knock ... ts/=w7w7z3

Check out the knock-in inserts for wood. Some of those have the flange.
When pounding them into plastic, I drill the pilot hole a little large so i don't crack the plastic when the insert goes in.
I usually countersink the back of the hole so the flange on the insert can sit level with the surface.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:33 am

Yes, I have modified the slightly since building that one to remove the acrylic tab that is on the outside of the bearings, and making the battery and raspberry pi boxes a structural piece.
That limits the threading in the acrylic.
Thanks for the link, I'll check out the inserts.
Cheers
Andrew

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:48 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5