It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm

A one Year time-lapse... Help! 

Post A one Year time-lapse... Help!
Hi, So... I'm in need of some Help! I've been asked to set up and run a 2 camera set-up of a Residential & Garden landscape construction, which will take 12 months, starting next month!

After getting pricing from the 'Professional companies' to do the shoot it seems that it'll be cheaper to take the plunge and just buy the kit.. + there might be some more projects in the future and I'll definitely be using them in any 'down time' I have going. It would be great if I could get any pointers and tips on whether the kit I'm looking at will do the job!

Looking at getting the Photo Sentinel Pro http://photosentinel.com/photosentinel-pro/ which should hopefully last years. As the shooting will be remote with limited power supply the kit comes with solar panel, a chunky battery and a 3G remote and transfer controller. I haven't been able to many other makers of this kind of equipment and I haven't got the time (or skills) to make a DIY housing, charger etc... Going to attach them to 2 disused telegraph poles so they'll be out of reach (hopefully)...

I have limited idea on what DSLR's to buy, I have 2 canon 5Diii's and an old 7D but there's no way I'm tying those up for a year, worrying about them! :shock:
I do want to be able to get high enough resolution to be able to 'zoom' in frame, via Motion5 and still keep the output as full 1080HD, as the project will be running for a year I think the final video will need some lateral movement within the frames of the photos taken. I was thinking a Canon Rebel (550D), any thoughts?

The only other thing is the lens, as the Rebel will have a crop factor, will the Canon 24mm f2.8 pancake lens be ok, or should I look at going even wider? like the 10-18mm?

Is there anything else I need to consider or think of?

A

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Post Re: A one Year time-lapse... Help!
I really don't know much about this, so use your own judgement. I did get Canon SL-1 recently and was surprised at what a nice little camera it is for the price. They are cheap and make a good image.

I like to use old M-42 screw mount lenses from 35mm film SLRs. Pentax and Zenit used these mounts for a long time. M-42 used to be called universal screw mount lens. Get the cheap adapters without electrical connections to mount them on your cameras bayonet lens mount. You have to open the aperture manually to focus and then manually stop down for shooting. The advantage is that you don't get any aperture flicker because the aperture does not open and close for each exposure. It just stays where you set it. You can always get these lenses pretty cheap on ebay.

Photosentinel is an excellent system. I'd have a bunch of them if I could afford it. You should definitely use them for your main cameras. Brinno makes some little timelapse cameras that might be useful for capturing shorter sequences showing a closeup view of some interesting parts of the build. They work on AA batteries and are fairly weather resistant without an external housing. Set a couple of them up on tripods to capture your closeups and edit some of that into the longer movie so it isn't just one long shot from one or two viewpoints. Sometimes its nice to make two edits, one with each main camera running its full movie uninterrupted, and another where the closeups are edited in between little clips cut from the main camera footage.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:33 am

Post Re: A one Year time-lapse... Help!
Thanks I'll have a look at the Brinno for an additional angle option... I was thinking about going down during the year and attaching a couple of GoPros to some work machinery and run as a time lapse, then remove the fisheye in Post.

I've asked Photosentinel whether their kit will work with the Rebel SL-1, as it depends on the battery slot and their controller.
Good point about aperture flicker... for 'short term' time-lapse I got away with twisting the lens with the DoF button held down to 'fix' the aperture in.. Hopefully it'll last a year, without going completely loose! Still it's probably best to get a couple of manual lenses to avoid it more reliably! Good call!

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:14 pm