It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:02 pm

How to remove aperture flicker on Canon EOS lenses 

Post How to remove aperture flicker on Canon EOS lenses
I did a bit of experimenting, and figured out a mickey-mouse way of how to set the f-stop setting without having it reset between photos...

1 Turn camera on and select the aperture setting you want

2 Hold down the depth of field preview button

3 While holding down the button remove the lens. This way the lens iris will stay where it last was.

4 Place a piece of insulating material in front of the lens contacts

5 Put the lens back on the camera

The camera will now treat the lens like a manual lens.
This will allow you to select any depth of field you want, without having to shoot wide open to remove the flicker.

This won't remove flicker from fast shutter speeds or automatic exposures, but will eliminate the lens flicker.
It would be nice if this was a programmable or switchable option on the camera. :geek:

EDIT: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
I still use this basic technique, but I have modified it slightly for day to day use so I don't have to use tape or worry about dust getting in on the sensor while the lens is off...

3 While holding down the button hold down the lens release button and rotate the lens about 6mm or 1/4 inch. This should be just enough to disengage the lens contacts, while still having the lens held firmly in place without the locking pin engaged.

The camera will now treat the lens like a manual lens, and will allow you to keep whatever aperture setting you want.
It will also prevent iris wear, and remove the need to switch to manual focus, saving wear on the AF/MF switch.

:!: Be careful to snap the lens back into place once you are done so it does not fall off at an inopportune moment later on while you are carrying the camera about :!:

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Post Re: How to remove aperture flicker on Canon EOS lenses
Wow, that's a really good idea :)

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 pm

That's ingenious! ...... and it won't void the warranty.
What material would you suggest for the insulation piece? I gather it won't gunk up the contacts?

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Cool idea :-)

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm

That is a good idea.

My concern is that the aperture will slowly open. I'll be interested in the results.

Has anyone tried keeping the preview button down with a gentle clamp?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:07 am

timematte wrote:
What material would you suggest for the insulation piece? I gather it won't gunk up the contacts?

For my test purposes I just used a bit of electrical tape cut to shape. Probably a piece of plastic bag would do it too.
I have one camera body with the tape on it, and use another to set the lens.

dcmiller wrote:
That is a good idea.

My concern is that the aperture will slowly open. I'll be interested in the results.

The lens still resets between shots with the DP button held permanently.
So far no problem with the lens changing, but I'll have to try it out with a few different lenses to get a better feel for it.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:04 pm

dcmiller wrote:
That is a good idea.

I tried this very think I held the button in place with a rubber band
And like antz said the aperture still opens and closes during the shooting
Process. This is a cool way to use lenses I wouldn't use because of flicker.

Thanks antz

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks for this great idea! I tried this, and sure enough when I put the lens back on my XSI it treats it as manual, with the aperture reading "F00." But when I go to snap a pic it gives me an error, "Problem communicating with the lens. Clean the contacts." I then have to turn off the camera and back on to unlock it. Any ideas?

Are you covering all the contacts or any in particular?

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:39 am
I have to hand it to my pentax k10d for allowing this... I can simply choose 'use aperture ring' and use a modern lens with aperture ring (eg tamron sp 17-35mm) hard stopped down.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:48 am

Mi - Can you elaborate? So you're using a Pentax body? I've heard of some people using older lenses on a newer Canon body with an adapter...thoughts? (This would give you the manual aperture ring...) :)

Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Somehow I got it working with the kit lens! Cover all the contacts with electrical tape. Bingo. Not sure if updating the firmware like I did made a difference...

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:20 pm

OK guys, I did the fixed Aperture trick on my kit lens with my XSI. I set the Aperture to f/13, push DOF preview, took off the lens, masked off all of the contacts with electrical tape. Set up a time lapse in backyard with intervals of 3 sec and hoped for no flicker. I shot in Aperutre priority as an experiment. Here's the result:

I must admit I didn't check my exposure before I ran this, it's obviously WAY over exposed...Next time I'd take a test shot and offset my metering. But except for a few white flashes I don't notice flicker. Would love to hear your thoughts... :)

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:14 pm

I have edited my original post at the start of this thread.
A much easier technique to use in the field, and no extra bits required.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:10 pm

Tried your edited quick set up and it didn't work for me. Using a Canon 50D plus 24-105L kit lens.
Camera settings, manual exposure and manual focus. What am I doing wrong?

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 pm

unozig wrote:
Tried your edited quick set up and it didn't work for me. Using a Canon 50D plus 24-105L kit lens.
Camera settings, manual exposure and manual focus. What am I doing wrong?

The distance you rotate the lens needs to be far enough to make sure the contacts are fully disengaged, which I have found is generally about 6mm, or just a fraction more.
If it is not quite far enough, it will generate a lens error message when you try to take the photo. If this happens, disengage it a fraction more and you should be good to go.
I have done this with pretty much every lens and body I have with no problems, but a little practice in getting the position just right helps.

If you listen very carefully you can hear the first set of contact springs disengage, this is generally the point I go for. Otherwise you can fully undo it to the point where it starts to come loose, then put it back just far enough for it to be firmly held again.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Many thanks for that ! I at first was returning back to the engaged position ? :oops:
Then I wasn't quite there with the 6mm ! hence the dreaded error message.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks Antz - the things you can do on a 4 day T/L flower shoot. (no comparison to being stuck on the ice!)
For those not sure of Antz's technique, note position of white square marker on lens relative to camera body
matt b

Attachments:
Manual aperture overide lens position.jpg [92.79 KiB]
Downloaded 7422 times
Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:40 pm

edit: there were two reference photos attached showing the position of Antz's clever solution to my previous post that have seemed to disappeared ??????

Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:04 am

hey mattb - do you have any online example of your flowers rotating - I love your set-up I shot all my flowers in a 7' x 3' shower stall, so needless to say I'm a bit envious - I did manage to shoot one rotating flower shot (using the mumford time machine and turntable) - I was going to post a url (it is on the arbeats.com website) but their website isn't opening at the moment.

timt

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Pixelbot, the final flower files are under "embargo" until after "Mother's Day'' here in Australia ( May 10th) as they were commissioned for a TVC.
After that I can post the TVC or link for you.

For your info it took over 5 attempts (average of 3 days each) to get a"hero" shot that everyone liked with OK camera rotation, opening time and good petal shape.

The rig rotated 360 degrees around a slow counter- rotating flower platform as the camera did a small rise up on a linear stage.
As you have shot flowers yourself I'm sure you know how fickle they can be! ( They say never work with children, animals.......... and now add flowers.)

Currently shooting Lilies.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:21 am

I'm sure I'm missing something in the conversation but wouldn't manual aperture and shutter eliminate the changes of aperture by the camera?

visceralfilms.ca, Vimeo, Twitter

Wed May 06, 2009 4:42 am

visceralway wrote:
I'm sure I'm missing something in the conversation but wouldn't manual aperture and shutter eliminate the changes of aperture by the camera?

manual aperture is definitely the way to go to eliminate flicker - however EOS lenses don't have manual aperture and Antz was sharing a way to lock the shutter on EOS lenses so that they would be more useful for time lapse purposes.

timt

Wed May 06, 2009 8:39 am

visceralway wrote:
In fact, in manual mode, the camera and lens will try to reproduce exactly the same aperture and shutter speed. But the lens' diaphragm will open after each exposure, and close down for the next. When closing down, the diaphragm will not always reach the same aperture, and cause flicker. My understanding is that Antz' trick will lock the diaphragm in closed position between shots.

Wed May 06, 2009 10:25 am

pixelbot wrote:
matt b wrote:
Hi Pixelbot, the final flower files are under "embargo" until after "Mother's Day'' here in Australia ( May 10th) as they were commissioned for a TVC.
After that I can post the TVC or link for you.

For your info it took over 5 attempts (average of 3 days each) to get a"hero" shot that everyone liked with OK camera rotation, opening time and good petal shape.

The rig rotated 360 degrees around a slow counter- rotating flower platform as the camera did a small rise up on a linear stage.
As you have shot flowers yourself I'm sure you know how fickle they can be! ( They say never work with children, animals.......... and now add flowers.)

Currently shooting Lilies.

can't wait to see them - lilies are my favorite as they are predictable - day lilies are even easier - they almost open on command - these are my spinning day lilies:
<http://www.artbeats.com/clips/14917/22588>

cheers,
timt

pixelbot - here is copy of the TVC I found on youtube ....... and I haven't even got my own copy yet.

Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 pm

very cool mattb - what was the flower in the background? I'll say it again if people want to try to shoot flowers they don't come any easier than lilies - of course adding motion to your spot made it quite abit harder. again good job

timt

Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 pm

thanks. it is called a cyclamen.
it took a little over 24 hours to go from a downward semi-tight bud to its final position. a very cute small flower that "explodes" into its full bloom state.
matt b

Thu May 07, 2009 5:07 am

matt b wrote:
thanks. it is called a cyclamen.
it took a little over 24 hours to go from a downward semi-tight bud to its final position. a very cute small flower that "explodes" into its full bloom state.
matt b

that was one flower I was going to try to shoot but I never did - I thought the action of the plant was cool. Iris' are also good at "exploding", you should almost shoot some plants at faster intervals and then retime them so that you see the "explosion" slower - of course retiming might not work very well with a rotating camera/plant.

thanks,
timt

Thu May 07, 2009 6:26 am

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is any similar method/trick for Nikon F-mount lenses??? Thanks.

Fed

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:05 pm
thefed wrote:
Does anybody know if there is any similar method/trick for Nikon F-mount lenses??? Thanks.

AFAIK... no. Nikon bodies throw errors when you twist off a CPU lens. I still have my Nikon glass but have migrated to Canon bodies for this reason and a few others.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:12 am

milapse wrote:
thefed wrote:

AFAIK... no. Nikon bodies throw errors when you twist off a CPU lens. I still have my Nikon glass but have migrated to Canon bodies for this reason and a few others.

and don't F-mount lenses have manual aperture rings already?

timt

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:42 am

Quote:
I still have my Nikon glass but have migrated to Canon bodies for this reason and a few others.

I see. Could you enlighten me on your other reasons for switching? I am also thinking about switching from Nikon to Canon specifically for time lapse purposes, but what I like about Nikon is that they have their intervalometer built-in. I know I can get the remote control interval timer for Canon, but it seems inconvenient to have it hanging from the body during a shoot.

Quote:

Maybe I'm referring to them incorrectly, but the newer Nikon lenses--which still have an F-mount--do not all have manual aperture rings.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm

thefed wrote:
Quote:

Maybe I'm referring to them incorrectly, but the newer Nikon lenses--which still have an F-mount--do not all have manual aperture rings.

I think those are G-mount Lenses. I do reserve the right to be wrong.

timt

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:59 pm

I think Antz deserves some kind of reward for sharing this tip! I've tried it on the Canon 20D and 5D mk1 and it works PERFECTLY! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:32 pm

Antz wrote:
I did a bit of experimenting, and figured out a mickey-mouse way of how to set the f-stop setting without having it reset between photos...

3 While holding down the button remove the lens. This way the lens iris will stay where it last was.

4 Place a piece of insulating material in front of the lens contacts

5 Put the lens back on the camera

The camera will now treat the lens like a manual lens.
This will allow you to select any depth of field you want, without having to shoot wide open to remove the flicker.

This won't remove flicker from fast shutter speeds or automatic exposures, but will eliminate the lens flicker.
It would be nice if this was a programmable or switchable option on the camera. :geek:

EDIT: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
I still use this basic technique, but I have modified it slightly for day to day use so I don't have to use tape or worry about dust getting in on the sensor while the lens is off...

3 While holding down the button hold down the lens release button and rotate the lens about 6mm or 1/4 inch. This should be just enough to disengage the lens contacts, while still having the lens held firmly in place without the locking pin engaged.

The camera will now treat the lens like a manual lens, and will allow you to keep whatever aperture setting you want.
It will also prevent iris wear, and remove the need to switch to manual focus, saving wear on the AF/MF switch.

:!: Be careful to snap the lens back into place once you are done so it does not fall off at an inopportune moment later on while you are carrying the camera about :!:

Cool, thanks for this! :-)

Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 am

Would it be correct to say the if you are shooting wide open that the aperture blades don't move? In my case I am using a Canon 5D2 and a 50D.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 am

Brian Carey wrote:
Would it be correct to say the if you are shooting wide open that the aperture blades don't move? In my case I am using a Canon 5D2 and a 50D.

In theory there should be no movement. Typically there is no flicker when shooting wide open in any case.
In live view on the 5D2 there is no aperture change between shots either.
Not sure about the 50D, but it would be easy enough for you to confirm by setting a high stop number and watching the lens.

Tue May 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Antz wrote:
Brian Carey wrote:

Thanks, you just answered the question I asked you on the last post about the aperture change. Great to be learning all the timelapse best practices for the 5D2! :-)

Wed May 04, 2011 6:02 am

Brian Carey wrote:
Antz wrote:
Brian Carey wrote:

Thanks, you just answered the question I asked you on the last post about the aperture change. Great to be learning all the timelapse best practices for the 5D2! :-)

I wouldn't recommend shooting in live view if you can avoid it, because the sensor will heat up and produce more noise, and if you are shooting a sunset, you will most likely damage the sensor as well.

Wed May 04, 2011 6:17 am

Yes it's a case of figuring out the best way for the shot you are doing at the time.

Typically for any long lens I'll use live view to get rid of mirror shake.
Shots with the sun in them I'll normally use regular shutter operation, or if it is low in the sky a high aperture if I need live view.
90% of the time I'll use the lens twist technique to minimize lens and shutter wear though.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:29 pm

This is probably obvious, but after you hold down the DOF button while disengaging the lens, you can let go of the DOF button, right?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 am