It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 CNC Router Build 

Post Re: CNC Router Build
Hi D1,

It's a side extension to my house, so it needs at least 1.2m foundations so you (or a future occupant) could potentially build another floor on top if necessary, (as per planning regulations) although I don't intend to because I have already made it to have a high ceiling, pitched on the outside.

Yes, 2000 rpm doesn't sound too fast, but I always have the option to change motors. Also I intend to use thicker end mills than you would use with your typical 24000 rpm spindles, provided the rigidity allows it. Basically I will hopefully be side cutting rather than just plunge cutting (which is what these revvy routers do in the main, as the thin bits can't take much side pressure). Hopefully better finish, deeper cuts, but don't quote me on that until I convert it and see it working

Also this is a 750Watt motor. I think the motor itself runs at near 4000rpm, but it is reduced 2:1
This mill looks a lot stronger than the SX2, well, it's about double the weight, but we shall see...

As for your epoxy aggregate, with so long to cure, you should have no problems with the self levelling. I am warming up to this idea already ;) I guess you have already bought your spindle/motor? You are certainly splashing out on this project, the Hiwin rails are not cheap!

Edward

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Hello not bought the motor yet got the holder so i could build the z axis and know the spindle would fit fine . Think i will get all the axis done and working before a actually buy the spindle motor . CNC4you really good i order and it comes the next day so no hanging around .
I was considering using those leadshine drivers i have but no joy . Their even worse when you connect them to a Nema 23 motor just stall out at very low speeds. Dont think i will ever find a use for them which is annoying .
D1

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi, D1, watching in the wings as your shiny toys take shape ;) In by Christmas Edward ?
I am still waiting for some winter weather to move inside ;)

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:17 am

MikeA wrote:
Hi, D1, watching in the wings as your shiny toys take shape ;) In by Christmas Edward ?
I am still waiting for some winter weather to move inside ;)

Hi Mike seems pretty wintry up here at mo their again its grim up north apparently :D

Well doing my usual test in mdf before i get cutting ali . Which i am glad i did no matter how good CAD is i always seem to forget something, Its usually space for bolt heads or excess to a part so you can actually build the thing up .
I am also new to Hiwin stuff and assumed you could run a bolt through them . No its just a threaded hole so bit of re design on the z axis was called for . Nothing dramatic though .
[flickr] Image2016-11-04 18.48.31 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
First prob not enough room for bolt so ordered some low head socket screws and moved the rials over 1 mm . Yes its that tight but i want to keep everything as compact as possible . If ya look at my traditional mill the distance the bit is away from the slide of the z axis its quite a lot . So any play at all must be amplified by that distance
[flickr]Image2016-11-04 17.29.55 by D 1, on Flickr [/flickr]
Looking around 60mm on router so going to be a lot more rigid
Traming seems to be easy as location holes are made by little mill so very precise just a little tapping needed as you torque the rails down
[flickr] Image2016-11-04 18.36.56 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
D1

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Mike, moving in the new workshop end of next week, can't wait to start the CNC conversion! Will post photos of the process too.

D1, I have Hiwin rails and another brand that Zapp stores. As far as I recollect, they all have counterbored holes with no threads. Although they do different types, some are threaded and bolt from underneath. My studio crane is in front of me, with a 2m track of rails (20mm) mounted on top of 40x40 extrusion. These are the Zapp rails and they can take a normal button head bolt, (i.e. Allen head bolts) I think it's M5 or M6 and they supply little caps to cover each hole. There is a good 3mm clearance on top of each bolt head, so no need to use low profile bolt heads.
I can't check my Hiwin rails right now, the profile is slightly different than the Zapp ones, the Hiwin were a little lower.

I didn't have much difficulty in aligning the 2m track, and I didn't use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts as they recommend, but aluminium extrusion is a bit flexible, so it can accommodate better, it's more forgiving I think. Mounted on a hard surface, it may require more accuracy if you want to avoid blockage of the Hiwin blocks, particularly when you use a carriage plate to hold the four blocks together.

Edward

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi Edward bit of confusion their i was referring to the carriages rather than the rails . The rails have a clear hole so yeah you can just drop a socket screw through.
Will try and mock up the full z axis this weekend so it will be more clear what i am up to .
Look forward to the first pics from your workshop . Have you run a radiator out to it seeing as its connected to the old homestead
D1

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Ah, that clears the confusion;) I remember that when I first got my blocks, I also thought you could run the bolts through.

Yes, I have a radiator for the chilly winter months, though it never really gets too cold down south, not proper cold, but best of all, I also have air conditioning, which can blow hot air as well as cold, mostly silently. And triple glazing everywhere, including the skylight. It's a bit of an overkill really, but my main concern as you may recall was to avoid noise disturbing anyone, be considerate to thy neighbour and all that;) This is partly why I have gone for a mill adaptation, with belt drive, rather than a noisy router.

I am cleaning up the packing grease this weekend, it's dripping in it. I'll use lighter fluid for that. I've got a 1 ton garage crane from eBay and the other day I tested it by hoisting a person up hooking him through his trouser belt, just for a laugh. Then I released the air gently to descend...ah...grown up men and their toys!

Ed

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Reverse Cycle air conditioning. Mans greatest invention next to indoor plumbing. No sensible Australian would be without it.

Kit

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:39 pm

No need for air conditioning in Manchester at mo its particularly grim .
Still cosy in shed so back on topic ah not like me :D . Really glad didn't start milling ali straight away getting their but little things keep cropping up. One of the main probs is the size of my mill . It requires a certain amount of creativity to machine such large pieces and keep the tolerances acceptable. It will be nice to get this router up and running it will make future builds so much easier .
So seconded rough mdf draft prob have to do another before i am totally happy and ready to cut aluminum.

[flickr]Image2016-11-06 18.39.27 by D 1, on Flickr
[/flickr]

As mentioned the big bolts will be replaced by socket screws . I need access to these to trim everything up on the spindle motor .Also decided to put side plates on the main spindle plate ( The transparent items in model ) This does two things make the z axias very rigid at full extention and keeps the crud out of nice bits . Well hopefully .
[flickr]
ImageZ AXIS WITH SIDE PLATES by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]

Cant wait to get this thing working becoming a great winter project :D
D1

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:31 am

Hi D1. The design drawing seems different from the actual picture. In the actual it looks like the whole lift motor moves up and down with the carriage rather than remaining stationary? Seems like you reversed it. What is the thinking here?

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi Gerald the design and actual are the same just the carriages in the photo should be at the bottom of the rails i suppose .
I did want the rails on the piece that moves they add a lot of rigidity at full extension. The most common design seems the other way round . With the rails remaining stationary and the carriages moving . Not sure why this is more common but it doesn't make sense to me their again as i am the odd one out i may be wrong . It does happen :D
D1

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:17 am

In the photo the z motor input is attached to a plate that seems to be attached to rails plate which also supports the router motor. So looks a lot like the motor goes up and down with the router motor? Quite different from the diagram it seems. But maybe I'm missing something. I guess either way will work. but I'd expect better for the motor to be fixed relative to the travel - or maybe it's trivial?

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:44 am

Not sure if we on same page but this is pic of extended z axis
[flickr]ImageZ AXIS EXTENDED by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
Maybe i got something wrong but will mdf the rest and see if it works the way i intended . I have moved have slid all the relative components in design spark and it seems to be correct but i do pref a lump of wood .
D1

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:03 am

Well Gerald had me worried for a while thought i had done something stupid. But not to worry all things do the things their supposed to do . When everything in ali it should be quite a nice unit and i am sure it will do what i need it to do .
[flickr] Image2016-11-07 17.48.21 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
[flickr]Image2016-11-07 17.48.33 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
My only worry now is the size of the entire bed its going to take up a lot of room in my shed . I was going to move it to me mates workshop but i think i will miss just been able to use it when ever i want. I could make the bed smaller but i think i would regret that . Its not only the size of the router i do hope to put it in a kingspan box to try and reduce the nosie but that will put about another 100m on every dimension Boo !
D1

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
My only worry now is the size of the entire bed its going to take up a lot of room in my shed . I was going to move it to me mates workshop but i think i will miss just been able to use it when ever i want. I could make the bed smaller but i think i would regret that . Its not only the size of the router i do hope to put it in a kingspan box to try and reduce the nosie but that will put about another 100m on every dimension Boo !
D1

Maybe a mezzanine in the shed ;)

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:06 pm

D1, I like the fact that you are making it in wood before you commit to aly. Doug will be proud of you!

It's good to be able to do everything on a cad program, but you are right that there is nothing like making a rough and ready prototype to see if there are any problems.

Regarding size, it's easy to get carried away with making a monstrously big machine, but realistically, are you ever going to need it, let alone machining a part that big.
I've seen my builders use lots of this 115 Kingspan for what is known as a "warm roof insulation". Really nice stuff. Good for a mill enclosure, I am sure.

I've been cleaning up the packing grease on my new mill, it had masses more grease than the old Axminster SX2. Absolutely drenched in it!

Ed

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Ah not high enough and the router is going to weigh quite a bit me thinks . Perhaps i should start digging !
D1

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Soz Edward ya typing quicker than mine .
Think will need the 2ft by 4ft just for my day job . But also thinking if i build anymore cranes the turret can be machined rather than welded .
I am begging to wonder if i dial down the speed of the spindle will it be as quite as my current mill and will it have enough torque at that speed . Not working any where with a cnc at mo so cant really test that one .
D1

Ps are you still keeping the S2

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 pm

4' seems quite long, but if you really need it...

I have read a few posts in the CNC forums where they say that you can't reduce the revs too much on these water-cooled motors, as the torque goes down pretty suddenly, I think you are stuck with the whining noise :)

I am keeping the SX2 for the moment at least. I will take a pic next week with it standing next to the SX2.7 for people to see the difference.

Edward

Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:59 am

Hi Edward it will be good to see the difference between the two mills and hear your thoughts on them.
Think sort of solved my space problem . Not a perfect solution but it will have to do for the time been . I've decided to mount the router on the floor so that will give me a bench space above that i can use . I more or less have such a bench at mo with a lot of crap underneath it so i shouldn't notice the loss of space to much .
Ok its going to be a pain changing bits etc but you cant have everything .
So i can actually commit to ordering steel now think i will go round my mates hes got a massive table about 4inch thick steel and ground flat . Made for welding and clamping things in place to keep them flat , perfect.
[flickr]Image2FT ROUTER FRAME SMALLER BOX by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
D1

Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Well off to topic yet again but our big Christmas add is out

It was 3 mounths of hard work but looking at end result you would think it should have taken longer . Congrats to Clockwork Frog http://clockworkfrog.co.uk/ and all the people who worked on it .
Machines mainly mine and Daves house so you can see why a bigger CNC will come in handy . A lot of things were laser cut on it to and a lot of it good old fashion hand crafting
Theirs a bit off online voting going on so if ya would help pushing it in the right direction that would be much appreciated.
Happy Christmas (yes i know far to early for that one)
D1

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:29 am

Great work, love it. Well done!

Ed

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:41 am

Cheers Edward hope ya voted http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... s-advert2/ But it seems to be doing well .
Have you moved into your man shed yet ? I am still waiting for steel to turn up so no real progress on the CNC .
D1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:39 am

I second Edwards comments. Not voted because I would have to register my details, loathe to do that, like you and Facebook ;)

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:50 am

MikeA wrote:
I second Edwards comments. Not voted because I would have to register my details, loathe to do that, like you and Facebook ;)

I Mike thanks sorry i didn't realise you had to register i just clicked a button . I prob got that wrong !
Thought would share a behind the scenes . Do to my accident i had a house guest for a while . Sort of missed the fella when he went :D
[flickr]Image2016-08-17 17.05.20 by D 1, on Flickr [/flickr]
Luckily i could do some smaller things . A lot of the work we did you dont actually get to see but thats usually the case .
[flickr]Image2016-08-22 20.00.38 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
D1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:15 am

Hi, D1, my mistake, missed that voting button first time around, interesting house guests :D

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:36 am

I voted, so far so good! Your models are bigger than I had imagined. I also liked the street buildings in the movie, very cute.

Moving to the man-cave this weekend. Garage crane all ready to lift the mill onto worktop. Can't wait to get some grease on my hands ;)

I'm practically retiring from commercial photography after 30 years non-stop in the business. Just keeping a few nice long standing clients. That will pay for all the goodies!. I've been mostly hating it for the past few months. A new life ahead of me to look forward to now. I intend to enjoy it.

Edward

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:35 am

Hi Edward you will have a similar life to me i just tend to do the jobs i like and potter the rest of time . Life is far to short to be chasing money all the time .
Yes the sets were big to big in fact but theirs a bit of a knock on effect from the puppets . Because they have skinny ankles they have to be a certain size to get a reasonable size joint in their . Hence prob a third bigger than normal and as a set builder not a size we are happy with .
On a positive note just had a email saying steel will turn up shortly which means i to will be covered in grease to . Unfortunately its the horrible kind you get on steel stock a day degreasing i think .
D1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:03 am

D1,
I love the style of the machinery, well done! Didn't find the voting button though.

Kit

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:50 pm

I would also like to say the animated show was awesome. I also did not get a button to rate or like. There was one button for watching a behind the scenes and another to a film about how to do it.

Your house-guests sure are cool. They weren't in the car when you crashed were they? In America, you would have been questioned by Homeland Security and possibly sent to Guantanimo for "enhanced interrogation". They gave me the third degree and disabled my boat after finding a home-built rebreather on board one time. I try to hide anything which doesn't look normal,but I digress. I'm sure they impressed any guests you may have had while they were there. Did you actually make those things? They are very impressive.

I can hardly wait to see how the router comes out. I'm still trying to get mine running. At one point I could jog the motors and was trying to get the movement calibrated. Unfortunately, I was using the tinyG board, which stopped communicating with the computer. I decided to try an in-circuit programmer to re-flash the bootloader but the programmer is taking forever to arrive, and I'll probably need a new tinyG or some other controller anyway. Maybe you can do a short tutorial about setting it up with Mach3 or whatever you plan to use. The guy in the tinyG tutorial keeps saying how easy it is while skipping over some necessary steps so anyone following along fails. So humiliating. So I'm on to tree timelapse while the router gathers dust.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:56 am

Hey back on topic in the old off topic ?
Steel turned up so had a day cutting and cleaning so tom prob going to be a wedaling day :D
[flickr]Image2016-11-16 16.40.41 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
[flickr]Image2016-11-16 16.40.49 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
SL not sure what a tinyG is but yes i will be using Mach 3 plenty of information out their on it been around for years and rock solid
D1

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:54 am

Looking good, that's going to be a nice heavy duty machine!

Today I received a decibel meter from Ebay. I love gadgets, and this one is cheap at 18 quid!. The noise level in a normal quiet residential room is 40db or slightly under. I intend to measure noise levels at 1m distance from my machine, when cutting, just for reference. It would be nice to have comparisons with other routers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Sound-Noise-Level-Meter-Decibel-Logger-30-130dB-Digital-Noise-Measurement-UK-/221816237420?hash=item33a5472d6c:g:m5MAAOSw9N1VlhVG

Edward

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:16 am

Hi Edward yes you do like you gadgets but must say that does seem a bargain. Ive be pricing up the cost of getting a few sealed glazing units made so i can have some folding doors on front of the cnc . Hopefully this will keep the noise down must say nobody ever complained in the past .
Didn't do any wedaling today got distracted tidying up my old crane think it going out on a job next week so it deserves a tidy .
D1

Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:56 am

Me again just looking at 3d milling software something i haven't really dealt with this type of software and just wondering if anybody's got any thoughts out their .
Think i coming down to one of these two
http://www.deskproto.com/index.php
https://www.grzsoftware.com/
With deskproto you can go 5 axis so may be this one It shouldn't be to difficult to put a fourth axis on the router not even sure what 5 five axis is will have to do a bit of research.
D1

Edit now i know

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:05 pm

I hope the welding is going well.

Meantime I have moved in my new den and placed the new Sieg SX2.7 on the table next to the SX2 for comparison. The bigger brother is about twice the weight, it has 180mm of Y axis, bigger table, and the motor is a 750W brushless as opposed to the 500W of the SX2. The dovetail/gibs are better machined. All in all, a nice upgrade without going too wild. Next I will take it to pieces and start the CNC conversion process.

Edward

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:18 am

Hi Edward good to see you man cave is taking shape .
The Sx2 does look quite small compared to the Sx2.7 def a more usable machining area the Sx2 was quite limiting .
Is their a kit to convert it to CNC or are you just going to adapt it yourself.
Look forward to some post on the subject
D1
Ps welding been put on back burner been a bit cold and i do all that sort of stuff in shed 2 no heating :(

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:40 am

There is no CNC kit for the SX2.7 yet, as far as I know, as it's too new. But I didn't want to buy a kit anyway, I prefer to make it all myself, now that I have more time.

For motors I will go for the CNC4you Nema 23 steppers driven by the Leadshine AM882 and powered by a 68V linear PSU. Same supplier or most possibly Zapp for the ballscrews. For the controller, I have several choices: the Kflop with Mach3, or the PlanetCNC, plus I've ordered a couple of the cheap Chinese standalone controllers, just out of curiosity, as they eliminate the computer at the cutting stage.

Added: I've just checked the SX2.7 mill for perpendicular alignment of the X and Y axes using a dial indicator. Each little line in the dial represents 0.01mm. It deflected half of that, i.e. 0.005mm. I think this is surprisingly good. I am very happy. Next I'll check the vertical head alignment and then the spindle runout.

Edward

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:47 pm

I do recommend the 556 drivers from CNC4YOU https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Microstepping ... olt-CWD556 particularly if you are using their motors . But you would not be able to run at 68 volts
Maybe give this one a go it will run at your voltages https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Microstepping ... VAC-CWD872
I intend to use this to power the two motors on my X axis .
D1
Edit i tend to get my ballscrews form CNC4YOU but get the bearing blocks from Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162255796193? ... EBIDX%3AIT Their a lot cheaper and smaller which is what i needed in my case and i cant find anything wrong with them

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:50 am

Well, I've started to convert the mill. First problem is that there is very little room under the table to fit a ballnut.
As you can see in the pictures, (a slice view of the sadle/table)I would have to lop off the flange of the ball nut - shown in green - as well as removing some material from the saddle (picture 2) to accommodate it.

I am trying to think of a way to avoid this, but I think it is inevitable. I am not sure how easy it will be to machine the ballnut, I hope it's not hardened steel. Milling a bit of of the casting of the saddle should be easier.

Edward

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:59 am

Hi Edward what size ballscrew have you gone for ? Must admit never attacked a ballnut always worried about getting the thing to hot whilst machining it .
Good luck anyways my router going a bit slow got another little job to finish first .
D1

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next