It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:00 am

Microscopic organisms in fresh water 

Post Microscopic organisms in fresh water
Recently, Ive been experimenting with a microscope and filming through it. All the organisms in the video below were found in a single drop of water collected from a bird bath in my backyard.

Camera specifications: Panasonic G6 with Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens

Microscope specifications: Nikon CFW 10x eyepiece + Semi-Plan 40x objective = 400x total magnification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXP8hN6_a6o

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Post Re: Microscopic organisms in fresh water
Fascinating stuff! Well done. I'm assuming that is real-time video rather than timelapse? (that isn't meant as a criticism of you posting it here, just want to make sure).

Kit

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Yep, you're right - it was filmed in real time. I'm definitely not breaking the rules by posting it in the non-time lapse section!

Actually speaking of such, there's one particular micro organism that I would like to shoot in time lapse through the microscope. And that is an amoeba. They're a predator and the way they move through the water is really surreal - really appreciated when shot in TL. They remind me a lot of 'the blob' from the film of the same name. I haven't found any yet though Ive heard they occur mainly in warm water. It's pretty cool over here where I am so I guess the chance of me finding one is pretty slim. Though it is not good for people swimming in bodies of water where amoeba reside. Some species have been known to enter the body through the nose and attack the brain.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 pm

I must admit I hadn't noticed which section of Timescapes you had posted in, just looked in 'active topics' of which there are very few these days. I'm not sure if we get amoeba over here in Exmouth, WA. The water is certainly warm and the behaviour of some of the locals may be explained by brain-eating micro-organisms. Or it might just be the brain-eating beer!

Kit

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Quite possibly, the behaviour of the locals could be the result of both factors combined!

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Dam, interesting. I wonder what our drinking water looks like?

Owen

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Owen,
OUR drinking water is probably OK. No so for many more of the people in the world.

I had a look at your website having not seen your name pop up on Timescapes lately. In recent years I've moved more towards using the technical knowledge I picked up here to make mechanical things rather than actually make movies. Viewing your showreel helps convince me that was the right move. Stick to what you're good at! I particularly liked the shot showing the moon through the heat-haze from the aeroplane engines and the moving close-ups of the skateboarders. Those obviously took some meticulous setting up (as did everything else in the reel) but such a close look at details we don't normally see so clearly is fascinating.

regards

Kit

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 pm

great video i like it
its obvious that the act could use a little more chlorine in their drinking water :)

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:24 am

Very cool video. Those things which retract into a little ball and then unfurl again are interesting. I hadn't expected that. Nice to see some new activity on the site. I tried the social media thing and maybe I'm jut too old to get it. Lots of short, relatively uninformative posts there. I hope Tom keeps this site going. All the information on photography and motion control in one place is an incredibly useful resource. Timescapes is where I learned about motion control from experts. Hope to see more stuff from you here in the future.

Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 am

James,
Couldn't agree more. A casual remark from my wife about a timelapse of the night sky and my luck in finding Timescapes is what has fuelled most of my hobby activity for quite a number of years. Having made a simple moco rig it was your work that had me try moonlit timelapse of the turtles nesting here in WA and then DISPLACEMENT1 motivated me to move over to stop-motion animation which I'm a big fan of but had never tried before. The knowledge about stepper motors and the (then) new-fangled Arduino thingy has sprouted into a CNC router (D1's fault again I'm sure!) and on-going projects using parts made with it such as a semi-automatic weaving loom, wooden clocks (including one who's accuracy is locked to a GPS receiver), a 4-string guitar and even the skeleton for a 6 foot long knitted whale!

There's a wealth of knowledge in the archive here on timelapse photography, motion control and may other related topics including the excellent thread that Jack Ripper did on how to use the 'stacking' technique for taking amazing night sky photographs with an ordinary digital camera. I bet Tom never imagined the forum here would be such a great success when he started the site to advertising his film-making plans!

Early members are still doing great work actually making films including Owen and Jack Ripper, now better known as BioLapse.

Kit

Thu May 03, 2018 4:33 am

I have not been on this forum for ages and didn't realise there were more replies. Thanks for the good words, Owen, Chardie and ScienceLookers. Those trumpet-shaped organisms that curl into a ball are known as stentors. I'm always really impressed at how fast they can retract. There's a similar kind of organism (forgotten the name right now) that resembles a balloon with a string attached and Ive seen these through my microscope as well. While observing them, I might say that they might actually be even faster when they retract. Too fast for your eyes to register. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the fastest life forms in nature.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:35 pm