It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:16 pm

517 nights of growing trees (seasons timelapse by LED lights 

Post 517 nights of growing trees (seasons timelapse by LED lights
I had tried seasons timelapse before and was frustrated by the wicked flicker between sunny and cloudy days. This time I decided to get rid of the sun and shoot with artificial light at night, outdoors. The flicker is gone, without the funny blur from techniques that blend frames from different times in the day. This is straight one frame per day timelapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8QX-AN2LXc

The rig runs off a 12 volt car battery that is always on a trickle charger. That acts as an uninterruptible power supply. A timer turns on a bunch of automotive relays for five minutes every night at 3 AM. These turn on three big LED light-bars like people here put on their off-road pickup trucks. Some of the relays also power the camera boxes which contain a buck converter that drops the 12 volts to 7 point something to run the camera. There is also a one-shot delay circuit that activates when the 12 volts comes on, and this trips the camera 4 minutes after the 12 volts powers up. One minute later the timer shuts the power off and the whole thing repeats 24 hours later.

That tree in the center was supposed to be the subject and it did very little. The bush just to the left of it starts to flower halfway through and creates a sort of sparkling effect because each red flower is only present for one day although the bush is in flower constantly. The big castor tree to the right grows huge after sprouting halfway into the video. At far left is a history of my boats parked in the driveway, beginning with my first boat "Neverland" that gets replaced with the blue boat "Gemini", and that finally gets replaced by the Carver "Shark Bait". The place where that tree at the far left disappears, the leaves disappear from the tree in the middle, and a big pile of branches briefly appears curbside represents the passage of hurricane Irma.

It helps to play it several times, concentrating on just one area each time you view it. There are a bunch of frames blurred a bit by dew on the UV filter that makes a window in the camera box. I should add a dew heater whenever I get around to messing with this again. After downloading the frames, I started it again so it can keep recording the same scene for more years.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Post Re: 517 nights of growing trees (seasons timelapse by LED li
James,
You're right about the need to watch it several times over!

Kit

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:16 am

Post Re: 517 nights of growing trees (seasons timelapse by LED li
Nice one James.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 pm