It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:56 pm

Recommendation request for noob to help set up first shoot 

Post Recommendation request for noob to help set up first shoot
So I'm not *technically* new here - I did try to do timelapse many many moons ago on my old compact camera. It wasn't good quality, it was controlled by timelapse software on my computer which limited its location, there was nothing interesting to shoot within that one room in my house. xD Bad choices all round really. ;) But since the last time I posted here, I've had quite a few changes - I got a new (compact) camera I've been using a lot for regular (non-timelapse) stills shoots, I've been in a stable job for nearly 4 years, I have some money now and can afford to buy things I want as well as things I need.

I know some of the theory of shooting timelapse, I'm fairly confident I could put some of it into practice even...but my knowledge of the required tech is limited, so I'd like to ask if I may for some recommendations. Like I said, the camera I use for other stuff is used very regularly, so is not available for any reasonable amount of timelapse shooting. So I'd like to get myself a camera specifically for timelapse shooting.

Of course I'm not looking to jump right in and get all high-end equipment, but I would like to get a camera that I shall use solely for timelapse shooting. I don't want it to be tied to my computer for timelapse control, so I imagine I'd need an intervalometer. Independent power would be good as well so I can set it up away from my home, but that may be a bit harder to do on a budget at the beginning.

Ideally, I would like to try my hand at shooting longer-interval timelapses - I've seen a lot of timelapse videos at seconds per frame, but the idea of longer frame intervals appeal to me more. Anything from a minute per frame up to say an hour per frame. Maybe I could go further, but I think that'd need more gear and a lot more expertise from me too, so I'll leave that for a couple of years til I get the hang of medium-interval shooting. :)

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any recommendations. I'm sure this kind of thing gets asked quite a bit by relative noobs on here, so if there's already a thread(s) on the forum with such hardware recommendations, please just point me to it and off I'll trot to take a look. ;)

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Post Re: Recommendation request for noob to help set up first sho
sad that no one has chimed in before now. i had issues with logging in and sort of forgot about timelapse for awhile. what sort of camera and lenses have you got ? Some cameras have an intervalometer built in others dont have it but can be added in a software hack or a simple intervelometer cable release for your camera can be a cheap and easy fix.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 pm