It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 12:19 am

Gigapixel Images.... 

Post Gigapixel Images....
Hello,

I have a question about Gigapixel images.

I know it takes over several hundreds, or even thousands of images to make such a GP image and it also may take over 1 or 2 hours before all images are taken.

But what i want to know is :

- What about changing situations while you are capturing your image? Cars that move, shadows that move in the time you are taking all the pictures.....

I want to make a GP image from the locks over here in the harbor with a big containership in it, but that ship will not stay in the lock for more then an hour, and in that time it ain't possible to finish the GP image.

How is that solved?

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:27 am

Post Re: Gigapixel Images....
Depends how many shots will make up your final image. Many rows of shots covering 360 degrees, using a telephoto lens will take time.

The focal length of the lens used determines how many shots are needed to make the shot.
The exposure settings (Shutter speed) determines how long the shots will take to make.

I would work backwards from your known 1 hour window, lens FOV and exposure settings, then you can work out what you need to setup for.

Moving items in the frame can be a pain if they are unwanted, that's why when shooting panos, I sometimes take two shots in each position to give me blending options.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:38 am

So when i want to shoot a lock in the harbor which has a big ship in it, then it will be difficult to shoot the entire scene before the ship will leave the lock.....

I think the ship alone will take allot of time before it is captured because they are 360meter in lenght :-)

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 am

The length of the ship is likely not to much of an issue as one could use lenses that are more of a wide angle than telephoto. I am assuming that once the ship is in the lock it does not move much, if so you can probably accomplish the shot. Many of these gigapan images are accomplished in 30-45 minutes, it is a matter of setting the correct parameters.

I have seen somewhere that some folks have used the Merlin/Orion head to do gigapan images, the nice thing about that is you can also use it for motion control of timelapses as well - just check out the dynamic perceptions website and threads on it in this forum.

Good luck and have fun experimenting,

Scott

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:29 am

Just found this...

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:42 pm