It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 am

Combining existing clips in Premiere/Final Cut? 

Post Combining existing clips in Premiere/Final Cut?
Hi guys

I've recently got into timelapse and have built my own motorised dolly etc and got some clips put together that I'm reasonably pleased with for early attempts.

What I'm not sure about at this point is what the process is for combining the clips I've already made in After Effects. So to be clear, I'm not talking about combining a sequence of stills into a video, but combining the resultant short video clips into an ongoing video featuring various scenes that I've shot.

I've got a choice of using Final Cut or Adobe premiere available to use for doing this but I've no experience of them (or imovie on my macbook) and have so far failed to find a suitable tutorial for doing what I want. When I google for things like "combining clips in premiere" for instance, I only seem to find stuff relating to combining the initial stills.
I must be just doing stupid searches or using the wrong terminology when I do but if anyone knows of tutorials for what seems like it ought to be a pretty basic task in either of these programs I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks!

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:28 am

Post Re: Combining existing clips in Premiere/Final Cut?
Just look up the tutorials online.

FCP and Premiere should do what you want.
Premiere is relatively easy to pick up. Just drag and drop clips into the timeline...
An easy way to set up a sequence is import the clip into the media bin (left hand side) and do a "make sequence from clip" and it should have the same settings.

Just mess around, for basic editing it's pretty intuitive. For everything else = tutorials.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:54 am

Ok that's great thanks (sorry for delay responding!!)

I'll look that up and try.
I did find one failing point already though that it shows most of my existing clips as 90000fps instead of 25. It's apparently because I've run them through Handbrake with some of the settings wrong for framerate, so I need to process them again. Doh!

Every day's a schoolday.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:17 am

in premiere you can just interpret them in correct frame rate, if frames as such are ok.

My workflow mostly is Bridge / Adobe Camera Raw (deflickering if needed, basic color grading, lens profiles) -> After Effects (compositing, grading, exporting to Avid's DNxHD) -> Premiere

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Hmmm, not sure how you mean about the framerate sorry - you're dealing with a complete newb here I'm afraid. The clips which show as 90000fps can't be loaded onto the timeline in premiere, presumably because Premiere thinks it's wrong or something, so I'm not sure if I can use them without running through handbrake again. I don't mind doing that though if I have to.

De flicker is something I need to address at some point, and I'm well aware it's a very common gripe people have with timelapse.
My daytime stuff is ok, but even in manual mode (I use a canon 5D3 for the raw stills fwiw), and watching the exposure meter like a hawk, the clips I've done at sundown are rife with flicker and I'm unsure of the best way to resolve this.

Currently I take one raw file and edit it to get it to look how I want in camera raw like you say, then compile into a clip in After Effects. Then I use handbrake to shrink the resultant massive file into a sensible one, which brings me to the current point of wanting to combine in Premiere.

I've seen Virtual Dub mentioned many times for deflicker, but I think that's windows only and I'm on Macs. Could do it with a virtual machine perhaps though.

Also, a new issue I discovered today is that my home made timelapse rail is horribly susceptible to wobbling the camera in a breeze, and the resultant footage is mega shaky. A friend mentioned virtual dub as managing to fix this sort of thing but I've not investigated yet. Would be great if I can fix video that suffers from this, but I'm not too hopeful in all honesty.

Here's a couple of examples of footage I've got so far with the newly built rail:

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 pm