It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:50 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Stacking photos 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 8
Post Stacking photos
I have a couple questions.

When trying to get a photo like this ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/43894176@N07/4869240902/ ) how do you get everything in focus? According to his description thats only one shot?

If its multiple, do you adjust your Aperture to get everything. I've done star trails, but never stacking to get the Milky way ( which I want to start to try and learn )

equipment is 5d mark II and 7d with 16-35 f/2.8

Do I shoot at 16mm, wide open, iso 1600-3200?

also, anyone know of any good stacking software for mac? ( I just download kieths image stacker ( free ) and Nebulosity 2 ( demo ) )

Any help would be greatly appreciated


Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 253
Post Re: Stacking photos
He explained quite thoroughly how he shot the photo. He shot the stars in bulb mode then changed his aperture and focus for the frog, then briefly lit the frog then closed the shutter.

Sounds simple but might take a few attempts to get perfect.


Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Rochester, NY
Post Re: Stacking photos
Photoshop can stack stars pretty easily if you create an action and batch process the photos.

_________________
www.StefanoPrezioso.Smugmug.com/Portfolio/Portfolio


Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:28 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 8
Post Re: Stacking photos
DerekMellott wrote:
He explained quite thoroughly how he shot the photo. He shot the stars in bulb mode then changed his aperture and focus for the frog, then briefly lit the frog then closed the shutter.

Sounds simple but might take a few attempts to get perfect.


you can't change aperture while in bulb mode. Can you can aperture on a nikon lens while in bulb, that may sound dumb and dense, but he said he took one shot.


Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 253
Post Re: Stacking photos
irate wrote:
DerekMellott wrote:
He explained quite thoroughly how he shot the photo. He shot the stars in bulb mode then changed his aperture and focus for the frog, then briefly lit the frog then closed the shutter.

Sounds simple but might take a few attempts to get perfect.


you can't change aperture while in bulb mode. Can you can aperture on a nikon lens while in bulb, that may sound dumb and dense, but he said he took one shot.


Yes, you just need to use a lens with a manual aperture.

Image


Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:24 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 8
Post Re: Stacking photos
DerekMellott wrote:
irate wrote:
DerekMellott wrote:
He explained quite thoroughly how he shot the photo. He shot the stars in bulb mode then changed his aperture and focus for the frog, then briefly lit the frog then closed the shutter.

Sounds simple but might take a few attempts to get perfect.


you can't change aperture while in bulb mode. Can you can aperture on a nikon lens while in bulb, that may sound dumb and dense, but he said he took one shot.


Yes, you just need to use a lens with a manual aperture.

Image


right, but he states he used a SIGMA 15mm F2.8 EX DG FISHEYE, which is a electronic aperture blade, not manual. thats where I'm getting confused.


Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 253
Post Re: Stacking photos
I could be wrong but this looks like a manual aperture to me.

.

Image


Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:45 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 8
Post Re: Stacking photos
DerekMellott wrote:
I could be wrong but this looks like a manual aperture to me.

Image



everything on find online is electronically controlled diaphragm


Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 253
Post Re: Stacking photos
You could send the photographer a message and ask him, I'm sure he would respond.


Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 253
Post Re: Stacking photos
I can not find any info saying that this lens has manual aperture control but this photo certainly makes it look like it does.


Image


Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 352
Post Re: Stacking photos
This guy is a friend of mine on Flickr and his photos are 100% legit. He modified his lens so he could change aperture and refocus his shots without shaking the camera, causing blur. Every one of his photos states exactly what he did...

_________________
http://vimeo.com/erichinesphotography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erichinesphotography/


Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:11 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 43
Location: Los Angeles
Post Re: Stacking photos
Nice shots, but certainly a hard way to go about doing it. So much easier to just take two shots and spend 5 minutes in Photoshop. But some people feel that doing things the hard way makes it better.

_________________
Forrest Brown
http://www.forrestbrown.com/
http://www.forrestbrown.com/blog/


Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:34 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 am
Posts: 35
Location: London, UK
Post Re: Stacking photos
I've been looking into this a bit recently (at least for stacking star trail images). I think you can run a Photoshop Script which should work.

_________________
Website | Flickr | Vimeo | Twitter


Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore. pozycjonowanie